MS III needs help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uziel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm MS III recently deciding on plastics (I used to want to do GI but as you know things change during wards!). I have a good above plastics-average Step I board score.

Anyways, I know it's a long hard road ahead but I was wondering if ppl could give me some advice. I'm about to meet with a top plastics guy at my school for some guidance and I'd like to treat any interaction I have from now on as an "interview" since plastics is such a small world. Any words of advice in general? For example, I'm assuming he'll ask first of all "why do you want to be one"...how do I not sounds like a total a$$ (aka like the cookie-cutter med student who talks about healing the poor, the lame, the world)?

Also:

1. I have a good number of publications in the GI field...obviously totally not related to plastics---I basically did it cause of either money, getting in to med school, or because I liked to do the surgeries. Could this actually hurt my chances?

2. Any advice on what are "good" MS III projects in plastics to look for?

Other words of advice in regards to the plastics journey would be appreciated too! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm MS III recently deciding on plastics (I used to want to do GI but as you know things change during wards!). I have a good above plastics-average Step I board score.

Anyways, I know it's a long hard road ahead but I was wondering if ppl could give me some advice. I'm about to meet with a top plastics guy at my school for some guidance and I'd like to treat any interaction I have from now on as an "interview" since plastics is such a small world. Any words of advice in general? For example, I'm assuming he'll ask first of all "why do you want to be one"...how do I not sounds like a total a$$ (aka like the cookie-cutter med student who talks about healing the poor, the lame, the world)?

Also:

1. I have a good number of publications in the GI field...obviously totally not related to plastics---I basically did it cause of either money, getting in to med school, or because I liked to do the surgeries. Could this actually hurt my chances?

2. Any advice on what are "good" MS III projects in plastics to look for?

Other words of advice in regards to the plastics journey would be appreciated too! :)

You should also look into ENT (fellowship in facial plastic surgery). This road might be a little bit easier than matching directly into plastic surgery right out of med sch.