How to take a research year between MS3/MS4 but NOT start dept payments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pothos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - incoming MS1. I am very interested in plastics and reconstruction, and planned on taking a year off between MS3-4 from my medical school (which does NOT have a plastic and reconstructive surgery division) to do research at a prestigious PRS program, preferably where the well-respected plastics chair also got to know students and would write me an outstanding letter and maybe make some calls for me. Publish and if at all possible follow attendings so I can crush MS4 plastics away rotations.

However, to my 'knowledge' most places that would support this do not offer actual educational programs (if even stipends) - they are mostly indepedent research as I understand. If I do that and can't get what I do classified as an educational program (not sure 'fellowship' in title is enough or not...) then my loans will kick in as soon as I start from what I learned. Anybody have either 1) an idea how to deal with this and still keep any lab I want as an option; or 2) a list of PRS-specific programs that DO currently offer educational programs which will not kick those loans in?

I'm sure this would matter to anyone wanting to benefit from the extra training in PRS that a year-off would give; thank you very much for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

You're correct in saying that many places do not offer actual research fellowships or stipends for outside scholars. There’s a short list of places with big funded plastic surgery research labs if you are willing to commit to laboratory time and you are wanted there (off the top of my head: NYU, Stanford, Pitt, Hopkins, UTSW, Michigan, Harvard, MD Anderson, MSKCC). Even so, whatever trifling research stipend they can offer you will barely cover the cost of living. I think that some major NIH-funded research experiences (HHMI, for example) do offer interest subsidy as part of the program package.

If you're concerned about interest on your loans from the first three years of med school "kicking in", be aware that the only additional interest cost to you would be interest on federally subsidized loans (maxed at a couple thousand a year, or a small fraction of your total medical school loans). The unsubsidized federal loans, PLUS loans, and any private loans accrue interest, whether you are on paid research or are on clinical rotations. Interest deferment means that interest is still charged but you're not responsible for making monthly payments while you're in school. At the end of 6 months of not being a full-time student, you would need to either (1) start repaying your loans or (2) apply for interest forbearance - which means that interest continues to accrue but you're not held responsible for payments due to your difficult financial status (so just like interest deferment).

More practical stuff to think about:

Before you commit your energies to one research year as a MS3-4, I would first focus on learning your basic science, getting good grades, preparing to rock the Step 1, and identifying productive research opportunities that you could pursue alongside your studies and also in the summer between MS1 and MS2. I am saying this because taking time to do research is not the only “in” with mentors/letterwriters. Having plastic surgery research on your CV shows potential programs that you are (1) interested in the field, (2) interested in an academic career, and (3) intelligent, efficient, and hardworking enough to balance the demands of research and regular academic demands. You can satisfy this requirement in the plastics residency application from successful research in related fields (ortho, oto/ENT, derm, tumor biology, wound healing, transplant biology, burns). Even better if you can relate said research to plastic surgery. Nobody will fault you for not having plastic surgery research, especially if your home institution doesn't have plastics faculty.

The most efficient way to get awesome letters will be through your away rotations. They get to know you and can then comment on your clinical abilities as well – not only do you demonstrate that you’re interested, intelligent, and hardworking, but also clinically adept, likeable/humble/normal, and not a total putz with your hands.

You should also consider the timing and duration of your research if you do choose to pursue it. Research takes a long time to set up and get started, and it also takes a long time to get results. Given the delay in getting results and the further delay in getting them into press, you probably wouldn't have much to show for your efforts by time applications are submitted early in MS4.

If you want take time out to do plastic surgery research, I would look at one of those research powerhouses listed before, ideally for two years or between MS2-3, do your best on whatever they can pay you, apply for forbearance, and take the hit on the interest. It's a drop in the bucket considering the cost of away rotations and interviewing as an MS4, and what getting an integrated plastics spot will be worth to you.

Absolutely recommend against this plan to do research years in medical school. If research is part of an MD/PhD, that is a separate topic, but if you are suggesting doing research just to enhance your chances to match, it is NOT worth it.

You would be best served by working as hard as possible to earn AOA, honor your 3rd year clinincal rotations, and blow out Step I. Along the way you can rack up some pubs pretty easily in some sort of related research.

There really is no good reason to do what you are suggesting just to enhance your matching chances. The reality is that those extra 1-2 years likely won't matter much at all... if you have the academic profile that I described above, then you will likely match. If you do not, and have a subpar academic profile, no amount of research will make up for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with iGap and Moravian. Would save the year of research as a potential play for if you don't match, but wouldn't waste time doing it in advance.