Other Master's Degree MS Epi in School of Med. vs. School of Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisy_triangle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -- appealing to your expertise for a question about the type of school housing an Epi MS program. (Found same question for PhDs, but question seems a bit different at MS level)

I'm considering MS in epi programs within schools of public health and schools of medicine and wondering if anyone has any insight into differences between programs housed in SPH vs medical school. Is this totally school-specific or can it be generalized at least a little?

My goal is to do research, and I am also debating pursuing an MD eventually. Do you think that's a reason to go for a program within a school of medicine? Advantage I see to that are more opportunity to work with physician researchers, while advantages to a program in school of public health would seem to be more epi-dedicated opportunities and resources (like earlier thread pointed out).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Where the appointment is probably doesn't have as large of an influence on what kind of work you do as who you work with at each institution. Where your mentor/PI works will dictate the type of work you end up working on, so that's more important. Look for faculty at each university you'd be interested in working with and reach out and then base your decision on that rather than the department's title.