MPH vs. MHA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EissMachine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my older brother just got a Masters in Health Administration. Now are there similarities between an MPH and an MHA or are they completely different. I'm trying to get a bearing on the MPH degree.

Members don't see this ad.

EissMachine said:
my older brother just got a Masters in Health Administration. Now are there similarities between an MPH and an MHA or are they completely different. I'm trying to get a bearing on the MPH degree.

Hihi!

Well, let's see where to begin - the above poster is right, an MHA is much more similar to an MBA where the emphasis is in the healthcare field. You will take basic courses in public health (such as epidemiology, biostatistics, etc. - which you won't find in an MBA program), but mostly you will take business related courses such as accounting, health economics, finance, health law, etc.

An MPH is much more diversified, and can take on many different subfields. The other most commonly offered ones are Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Enviromental Health, Behavioral Science/Health Education. Some schools of public health (like Columbia) have a program like an MHA (where the focus is on the business aspects of healthcare) but still call it an MPH. Be sure to check with each school you're looking at! I hope this helps!