MPH student, 3.85/3.9 undergrad cGPA/sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksbl526

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm applying to med school and have a MPH. I have to retake the MCAT this summer because my scores expired since I decided not to apply right out of undergrad (I had a 32Q), so not sure what the future score will be. My grad GPA is 3.94.

I don't have research experience, but have had a diverse array of volunteer experiences since my freshman year of college, both clinical and non-clinical as well as several service-learning trips abroad that are medically related. Also, I'm working at a health clinic. I should have great LORs because I know my professors pretty well and have kept in touch.

What do you think my chances are? I can only apply to three schools because my husband's job is restricted to southeast Michigan area. I'm especially interested in my chances for UM and Wayne, because I'm a MI resident and Oakland is really expensive (and still new).

University of Michigan
Wayne State University
Oakland University

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm applying to med school and have a MPH. I have to retake the MCAT this summer because my scores expired since I decided not to apply right out of undergrad (I had a 32Q), so not sure what the future score will be. My grad GPA is 3.94.

I don't have research experience, but have had a diverse array of volunteer experiences since my freshman year of college, both clinical and non-clinical as well as several service-learning trips abroad that are medically related. Also, I'm working at a health clinic. I should have great LORs because I know my professors pretty well and have kept in touch.

What do you think my chances are? I can only apply to three schools because my husband's job is restricted to southeast Michigan area. I'm especially interested in my chances for UM and Wayne, because I'm a MI resident and Oakland is really expensive (and still new).

University of Michigan
Wayne State University
Oakland University

Thanks for your help!
It's difficult to predict your chances without an MCAT score, or greater detail about ECs and timeframes of involvement, but your strong GPAs look very promising. Having severe geographic restrictions will limit your chances, of course. Perhaps you'd consider including the DO school at UMich, also, to boost your odds. Are all Ohio programs and the new med school at Central Michigan University too far away to consider?