MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's amazing!! Did it only take 5 days for JHU to get back to you?!
I have applied there and have so much anxiety waiting. I was wondering what type of time frame I should be looking at for a response from JHU and Yale?
I had a conversation with the Director of Admissions at Yale and she told me that I would likely have a decision by the end of November.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations!!
When did you apply and get accepted?
Thanks! I applied in September and got an acceptance in Ocotber. It's the only school I applied to for my MPH.

Wish you the best on your journey! Keep us updated.

Reactions: 1 user
Undergraduate School/School type: University of South Florida
Undergrad GPA: 3.63 (Honors Magna cum laude/ Dean's List)
Major/minor: General Studies (Concentration: Public Health)
Grad GPA (if applicable): 3.88 (SOPHAS Cumulative Verified GPA: 3.68)
Grad studies (if applicable): MS -Regulatory Affairs
GRE(including date taken):
Not planning on taking since most universities have waived the requirement this year.

Experience/research:
- Capstone project (Undergraduate)
- Capstone project (Grad School)
- 5 years of professional work experience with clinical trials/pharma

Letters of Rec: 3 references (All references from work colleagues)

Interests: Pharmaceuticals, health policy, and regulatory affairs.

Applied:
- Harvard - Generalist MPH
(9/10)
- Yale - Executive MPH (9/16)
- JHU - MPH (9/17)
- Dartmouth - MPH (9/10)
- BU- Executive MPH (9/18)
- Brown MPH (9/18)
- USF MPH (10/21)

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Main concerns:
-
Limited research experience in undergrad/grad school, but am hoping that my work experience will make up for this aspect.
- No academic references since I have been out of school for a while. (Not sure if this will hurt my chances)
We applied to some of the same programs. I am also in Regulatory Affairs (medical devices/IVD). Good luck with your applications!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You seem like a super strong applicant! I know GWU has an online Epi program, which could be considered more on the "safe side" for you if that's what you're looking to add to your list.

If you don't mind, how long did it take your applications to get verified? I just submitted my first app and in the confirmation email, they said we should submit application 4 weeks before our earliest deadline (which is pretty useless to say in the submission confirmation email...) so now I'm a little paranoid about my Dec 1 deadlines.

Good luck on the rest of your apps!
Thank you! I will check into GWU. My application was verified in under 2 days. Hopefully yours is all verified now!

I had a conversation with the Director of Admissions at Yale and she told me that I would likely have a decision by the end of November.
That is great news! I bet you are excited to hear back! let me know how it goes... I have my fingers crossed for you.

I hope I hear soon, although my applications were submitted last week so I doubt ill hear for a while, the anxiety of just waiting is deadly.

Undergraduate School/School type: Cal
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.57/3.97
Major/minor: Anthropology
Grad GPA (if applicable): 3.55 (top 10%)
Grad studies (if applicable): JD (taking the bar in July 2022)
GRE(including date taken): n/a

Experience/research:
- 1 first author publication
- senior editor on law review (legal academic journal)
- 6 months at District Attorney (including 3 months working specifically in the healthcare fraud division)
- 6 months at low-income legal clinic (focusing on helping elders/disabled adults and their families)
- 2 months public health study abroad program in undergrad
- personal experience overcoming an iatrogenic disability

Letters of Rec:
- 2 professors/supervisors at the legal clinic
- 1 professor who oversaw my research
- 1 former supervisor

Interests:
health policy and advocacy

I'm applying to schools while in my final year of law school. Long story short--I got a full scholarship to law school and figured a JD may be useful. As I'm getting closer to taking the bar, I realized that I learned loads about the law, but very little about healthcare. Thus, my desire to get an MPH. All the programs I've applied to have an emphasis in health policy and some can be completed in a year. Loyola Chicago is the only online program.

Applied: GWU (10/18); UCLA (10/18); JHU (10/18); Loyola Chicago (10/18); Harvard (11/15)
Accepted: Loyola Chicago (11/29); GWU (32K) (12/14); UCLA (1/24); Harvard-45 (2/24)
Rejected: JHU MSPH (12/14)
Waitlisted:
Attending:
Harvard

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the letters of recommendation need to be on letterhead? I have a mentor writing me one who just changed jobs to work at a prestigious private research school in CA, but she is hesitant to use their letterhead because I have no affiliation with the school and no formal ties, so she doesn't want to misrepresent the school. Does anyone know if it looks sketchy for someone to submit an LOR without any letterhead?

Does anyone know if the letters of recommendation need to be on letterhead? I have a mentor writing me one who just changed jobs to work at a prestigious private research school in CA, but she is hesitant to use their letterhead because I have no affiliation with the school and no formal ties, so she doesn't want to misrepresent the school. Does anyone know if it looks sketchy for someone to submit an LOR without any letterhead?
It definitely doesn't look sketchy! Just make sure that you request a letter of recommendation to your recommender's work (not personal) email address.

Now that all my applications are verified, I'll jump in with some stats:

Undergraduate School/School type: Small Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.77
Major/minor: Exercise Science and Psychology
Grad GPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE(including date taken): Took but did not end up submitting to most schools since they didn't require it- V 162 Q 158 A 4.5

Experience/research:
- Currently working as the coordinator of a youth violence prevention grant for a hospital system, promoting youth programming and safe/educational opportunities for children and families- 3 years of full-time work experience since completing my undergraduate degree
- 1 year as an undergraduate research assistant for the exercise science department, studying the effects of wine and exercise on glycemic control in people with diabetes, presented preliminary findings at a regional conference and university conference
- Summer internship as a global health intern with the large university in my home town, working at refugee immunization clinics
- Summer internship with my church working with the children's ministry- my church has a large number of refugees in attendance, so I was teaching math, reading, and life skills to refugee students over the summer

Letters of Rec:
-Current Supervisor (VP of our department at the hospital)
-Professor and advisor in exercise science, I was also one of his research assistants
-Professor in exercise science who I took a travel course with

Interests: Social Determinants of Health, Violence Prevention, Sexual and Reproductive Health, Health Equity

Mostly applying to health behavior, health education, social behavioral science concentrations at each school, interested in community health programming and program management

Applied:
UNC Gillings (11/6), University of Michigan (11/9), Yale University (11/9), Brown University (11/17), Boston University (11/17), Washington University in St. Louis (11/17), Emory University (11/17)
Accepted: University of Michigan HBHE (12/17), Emory GH (1/10), UNC EQUITY (1/13), WUSTL $ (1/31), Brown $ (3/18), Boston $ (4/1)
Rejected: Yale SBS (1/9)
Waitlisted: None
Attending: UNC!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I am currently a first year MPH student at the Mailman School of Public Health and I just wanted to share a bit of information to help you make a more informed decision as I wish someone had done this for me.

Columbia is refusing to adjust the terms of their contract with Teaching Assistants, paying them below minimum wage and refusing to offer them more adequate medical insurance options. This has resulted in a strike.

As the core part of our program had mainly been supported by TAs, 1st year students are extremely affected. Many of our lectures are now online, and some of them have been cancelled and replaced with recordings, while our grading criteria has remained the same. Columbia is not responding to our emails in any useful way and refuse to display any transparency.

Personally I am an international student, and I have left a lot behind for the opportunity to study here. I am starting to believe that I may have been better off staying in Europe and paying way less for a more complete education and more support.

I am extremely disappointed and starting to regret my choice to study at Columbia.

Please just consider this before applying and/or accepting your offers. University name is not everything, and it is definitely not worth 80k per year…

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else submitted applications and not received a confirmation from the school? I've had some verified applications for a while now, completed any supplemental applications/payments, but haven't heard from the school. I'm specifically worried about UNC and making sure they have my application for the Dec 1 deadline. Any thoughts?

Has anyone else submitted applications and not received a confirmation from the school? I've had some verified applications for a while now, completed any supplemental applications/payments, but haven't heard from the school. I'm specifically worried about UNC and making sure they have my application for the Dec 1 deadline. Any thoughts?
I have not received a confirmation from Emory yet and submitted my application to them in October! I have also not received a confirmation from Pitt either. Once I submitted my supplemental application for UNC on November 10th, I got an email that said to keep checking my application account for my status, so from that I assume they received it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
I have not received a confirmation from Emory yet and submitted my application to them in October! I have also not received a confirmation from Pitt either. Once I submitted my supplemental application for UNC on November 10th, I got an email that said to keep checking my application account for my status, so from that I assume they received it.
Thanks! That was my assumption too, I have just received emails from a couple schools that say something like "We have your application... Here's when you can expect to hear from us" and hadn't gotten that from UNC. But I submitted my supplemental app and payment, and everything is marked as complete in the portal. I was just getting worried :oops:

Thanks! That was my assumption too, I have just received emails from a couple schools that say something like "We have your application... Here's when you can expect to hear from us" and hadn't gotten that from UNC. But I submitted my supplemental app and payment, and everything is marked as complete in the portal. I was just getting worried :oops:
I don't blame you, the whole process is so stressful!

I applied last cycle but thought I'd share so you can get a feel for the timeline. You'll see other applicants on this forum with way more or way less experience than you, either way don't be discouraged.

Undergraduate School/School type: Big Ten
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.60 for my university GPA, SOPHAS verified 3.63
Major/minor: Human Biology
GRE(including date taken): Didn't take it

Experience/research:
Study abroad in Scotland where I co-authored a publication regarding male breast cancer incidence and also worked on a project studying differential gene expression in male breast cancer tissues
~1 year as a clinical research assistant at a neurosurgery practice
Various volunteer activities over the years, too many to list

Letters of Rec:
My PI from Scotland
A professor from undergrad
The clinical research manager at the practice I work for

Interests: Cancer Epidemiology, genetic factors in cancer development

Applied: University of Michigan MPH HME (routed for review 2/3), NYU MS Epi (routed for review 1/27)
Accepted: University of Michigan with 50% tuition scholarship (3/5 **scholarship info came after the acceptance, it was about a week later), NYU with 18k scholarship (3/12)
Attending: University of Michigan (and very happy here!)

Note on umich: SPH provides incredible support for their students. I work closely with the director of my program every week, the professors are responsive and always willing to go the extra mile for their students as are the teaching assistants (GSIs), and the alumni connections are outstanding and great for networking. I would highly recommend umich to anyone.

Hi! I emailed Emory's admissions office about it a while back and this was their response:

"Thank you for your email. Please know we have not yet begun loading applications at this time. This process will occur sometime in late November.
Once your application has been received and loaded into our system, you will receive additional instructions on logging into OPUS and viewing your application status."

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I emailed Emory's admissions office about it a while back and this was their response:

"Thank you for your email. Please know we have not yet begun loading applications at this time. This process will occur sometime in late November.
Once your application has been received and loaded into our system, you will receive additional instructions on logging into OPUS and viewing your application status."

Hope this helps!
That is so helpful! I was hoping that it wasn't anything on my part and they just didn't process any applications yet. Thank you! Best of luck to you :)

Hi guys, I'm curious what everyone did for the CV/resume portion? I am wondering if I should put items in my experiences that aren't normally on my resume and keep my resume mostly for work experience? I've been out of college 5 years now so I don't necessarily have volunteer or research activities on it from college, but am not sure if I should make sure the activities on my experiences section are on my resume (I'm guessing they don't need to?)

Hi guys, I'm curious what everyone did for the CV/resume portion? I am wondering if I should put items in my experiences that aren't normally on my resume and keep my resume mostly for work experience? I've been out of college 5 years now so I don't necessarily have volunteer or research activities on it from college, but am not sure if I should make sure the activities on my experiences section are on my resume (I'm guessing they don't need to?)
From what I gather, how you do it doesn't matter too much, as long as all of the activities are on the application somewhere. I think during an info session for Emory, they said that some people have the same experiences on the resume and the activities section, some do it differently. But they do want to know everything, so don't limit yourself. I've been out of school for about 4 years, and I still had some college activities on the resume that I submitted. I decided to make my resume highlight the experiences that I thought were most relevant to public health and graduate study, and then I repeated those in the activities section and also added extra little side jobs/volunteer things there as well. I don't think there are any set rules, as long as everything is there in some way! Hope that helps a little!

Has anyone applied for WashU and completed the scholarship interview? Wondering what I should expect from that

Hello! I am sharing these documents that have been passed down from previous applicants. I take no credit for these documents and am simply sharing. Good luck, all!

Student Experiences
Contains stats, school lists, and other useful information of applicants from three previous cycles.
Edit: Looks like the "2020-2021 App Cycle" tab and other cycles' entries were accidentally deleted by someone which is super unfortunate! 😔 Trying to restore a previous version of it but all the tabs seem to be heavily edited... holla if anyone from last year's thread has a copy of this they are willing to share to help update.

Public Health Programs - Thoughts
A smorgasboard of school-specific notes from previous applicants.
I was just looking through the 2020-2021 thread and found the 2020 and 2021 tabs that were missing!: MPH 2020 and 2021 Compiled Results

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! I have been reading this platform for awhile now, so it feels strange to finally be able to post. Does anyone have an idea of my chances of getting into some of these schools (GWU and Emory specifically being my top two choices right now)? Also curious of how generous some of these schools are with financial aid because I am quite nervous about taking out a ton in loans. I am a bit worried because of my experiences and what is considered to be enough. Any feedback I would greatly appreciate, good luck to you all!!

Undergraduate School/School type: Big Ten school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.84 (SOPHAS verified)/3.9(ish)
Major/minor: Biobehavioral Health
GRE(including date taken): 153Q/152V/4.0W (Only submitted GRE scores to two of my schools) - Taken 11/03/2021

Experience/research:
  • 2 years as a public health peer educator during undergrad
  • 1 year (still current) as an exam/homework grader for organic chemistry
  • 1 year as a learning assistant for an organic chemistry lab course
  • 1 semester as the leader for our Access to Protection initiative (advocating for STD prevention) through my organization as a peer educator
  • 1.5 years (still current) as a blood donation ambassador for American Red Cross
  • Helped create a sexual health education SharePoint site for college students at my university to use for information about STDs/proper barrier use/campus resources/available testing
Other information:
  • First-generation college student
  • Cum laude graduate
  • Dean's list recipient 8/8 semesters
Letters of Rec:
  • Supervisor while I was a public health peer educator (was also my professor for one semester)
  • Professor from a health data analysis course in undergrad
  • Organic chemistry professor from undergrad (who I grade exams/homework for now)
  • Microbiology professor from a community college I took the course at

Interests: Infectious disease epidemiology, HIV/AIDS, cancer epidemiology, occupational health and exposures

Applied: George Mason (10/3), Cincinnati (10/8), Penn State (10/13), Emory (10/19), Drexel (11/8), Temple (11/8), Pitt (11/8), University of Maryland (11/8), UNC (11/8), George Washington (11/18), UMich (11/30), UIC (11/30)
Accepted: Cincinnati (11/9), George Mason (11/23), Drexel (11/30), Pitt (12/1), George Washington (12/6), Temple (12/8), UMich (1/12), Emory (1/24), UIC (1/27), Penn State (3/7), University of Maryland (3/16)
Rejected: UNC (3/22)
Waitlisted: None
Attending: University of Michigan!!💙💛

Last edited:
This is a really specific question, but in the Personal Information > Background Information > Other Information section of SOPHAS there is a checkbox stating "I have a diagnosed physical or mental impairment that substantially limits my participation in educational experiences and opportunities offered by a college." I have diagnosed OCD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder and received accommodations (extra test time, etc.) in my classes in college. I think I definitely qualify to check the box, but I was wondering if anyone thinks checking this box would be a disadvantage in terms of admissions? I want to be honest and check it because it is true but I am scared that some programs might then not view me as a valuable applicant because it says my impairment "substantially limits my participation in educational experiences and opportunities offered by a college." I don't want them to think I wouldn't be able to do research or stuff like that. Any thoughts from current or past applicants?

Has anyone received an admission decision from UNC yet? I submitted my supplemental application on 9/20 and still haven't heard anything back regarding admissions ( applying for Fall 2022)

Hi folks, leaving a placeholder, fingers crossed

Undergraduate School/School type: T5 UK
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.9x WES
Major/minor: Biomed Sci
Grad GPA (if applicable): P/F
Grad studies (if applicable): MD at T15
GRE(including date taken): 163 QR 162 VR

Experience/research: 18-23 pubs, 10 first author incl first author in IF 20-30 journal, surgical resident at T5 med school
Letters of Rec: all academic references from residency incl clinical and research

Interests: mainly Clin Epi/Biostats with some interest in Health Policy/Leadership

Applied: Hopkins MPH, Columbia MS, Dartmouth MPH, Oxford MSc, Harvard MPH
Interviews (if applicable): Dartmouth MPH, Oxford MSc
Accepted: Hopkins MPH (12/28), Dartmouth MPH (01/07), Harvard MPH (02/10), Columbia MS (02/22), Oxford MSc (03/01)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending: Harvard MPH

Last edited:
Does anyone know how lenient programs may be about possibly switching MPH concentrations? I applied to all epi programs but I also have an interest in occupational and environmental health and have considered switching possibly. Is this possible for any programs?

Does anyone know how lenient programs may be about possibly switching MPH concentrations? I applied to all epi programs but I also have an interest in occupational and environmental health and have considered switching possibly. Is this possible for any programs?
I would contact your individual programs to see. I think I remember some people on SDN were able to do it last year. If your programs say they can re-route your submitted application to the EH department, I would just make sure you've expressed interest in environmental topics and success in hard science courses in your Statement of Purpose before letting them do so.

I'm interested in occupational and environmental epidemiology, so I applied to epi programs but am aiming for a program that has an occupational/environmental health focus. For example, Emory has a combined EH-Epi program that I applied to but even if you applied to just Epi, they have certificates in climate and health and water, sanitation, and hygiene, and plenty of environmental-focused electives that you could pursue. University of Michigan also has an occupational and environmental epi concentration in their epi department. Most other Epi programs will let you choose a concentration area since epi is so broad, so that's definitely one way you can get the best of both worlds if they don't let you switch!

This is a really specific question, but in the Personal Information > Background Information > Other Information section of SOPHAS there is a checkbox stating "I have a diagnosed physical or mental impairment that substantially limits my participation in educational experiences and opportunities offered by a college." I have diagnosed OCD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder and received accommodations (extra test time, etc.) in my classes in college. I think I definitely qualify to check the box, but I was wondering if anyone thinks checking this box would be a disadvantage in terms of admissions? I want to be honest and check it because it is true but I am scared that some programs might then not view me as a valuable applicant because it says my impairment "substantially limits my participation in educational experiences and opportunities offered by a college." I don't want them to think I wouldn't be able to do research or stuff like that. Any thoughts from current or past applicants?

If I were you, I would not check this box because we do not know 100% how the admissions office of a particular university thinks. Moreover, this box doesn't indicate that you have OCD and GAD. They might think that you have some severe medical condition that significantly limits your educational abilities.

So I wouldn't check that box, but you can tell them about your condition after you are admitted. I'm sure it's perfectly normal in your case.

If the first option does not suit you for some reason, you can contact universities in advance and explain your situation to them, but that will take time.

Last edited:
Undergraduate School: University of South Florida
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Major: Public Health
GRE(including date taken): Not taking

Experience/research: I volunteered for a voter outreach organization during the 2020 election, 6 months of research (current) at an entomology lab, 6 months research (current) for covid-19 observational research through my university, Python certification, leadership position with my schools emergency response training club, along with other minor club roles.

Letters of Rec: Boss for election volunteering, the lead environmental scientist at my entomology lab, and my public health research professor.

Interests: Maternal and child health, chronic disease research, epi

Applied: USF (11/27), UVA (11/28), GW (11/28), Dartmouth (11/28)
Accepted: USF (12/16), GW (1/28) +25K, UVA
Denied:
Waitlist: Dartmouth (1/21)
Attending: GW!!

Last edited:
Hello! Hope everyone is doing well! Did anyone start hearing back from MPH programs yet?

Accepted to JHU today! Applied 11/1.
Congratulations!

Do you mind me asking which course for- MPH (online/part-time)/MSPH and what your GPA was?

You must be so happy!!

Did you just check the portal and see it?

Last edited:
Does SOPHAS send a reminder email to people writing my letters of recommendation before the deadline? Or should I send one personally? Just don't want to be too pushy but haven't gotten a letter and deadline is tomorrow

Does SOPHAS send a reminder email to people writing my letters of recommendation before the deadline? Or should I send one personally? Just don't want to be too pushy but haven't gotten a letter and deadline is tomorrow
Hi! You have to send it yourself. There is a button on SOPHAS to do so I believe. You can also send an email with a reminder both work. Don't worry about being pushy, especially if the deadline is tomorrow. If anything, they will hopefully appreciate the reminder.

I really hope it comes out today... I have been on edge about it

I am in the same boat, but looking from some of the previous years' threads it doesn't look like Yale issues decisions until at least the second week of December. Maybe things will be different this year though (at least we can hope!)

Agreed! I haven't heard anything yet :( I don't know what time decisions usually come out but I am not holding my breath.

Hi everyone! I have been reading this platform for awhile now, so it feels strange to finally be able to post. Does anyone have an idea of my chances of getting into some of these schools (GWU and Emory specifically being my top two choices right now)? Also curious of how generous some of these schools are with financial aid because I am quite nervous about taking out a ton in loans. I am a bit worried because of my experiences and what is considered to be enough. Any feedback I would greatly appreciate, good luck to you all!!
I think you're in good shape for getting into GW. You may or may not get good merit aid (your GPA will help you there by GRE may not, plus it depends on how you compare to other applicants). I only got a measly $8k from GWU but it still wound up being my best option because I am able to keep working full time and didn't have to move.

GW lets you, but to do so before starting, you have to let them "rescind" your acceptance and then the new department evaluates you and then you get accepted again. Or, you can switch after you start.

I just submitted all of my applications! Super excited but nervous. Wishing everyone good luck during this cycle!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
"The ADA bars employment and educational discrimination against “qualified individuals with disabilities.” Title II of the ADA applies specifically to educational institutions, requiring them to make educational opportunities, extracurricular activities, and facilities open and accessible to all students."

This is something I include in my application, and it doesn't mean you're a lesser candidate. In a nutshell, that is disability discrimination. You are not compelled to keep this from your employer or school because you are entitled to reasonable accommodations.