MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually do not think Hopkins has released whether or not they will be in person/hybrid/online the next year yet.
(I should have said I emailed Dr. Marie Diener-West about this information, but now they've sent an e-mail out to the whole school.) :)
It sounds like all classes over 50 people will be online...trouble is I wonder which ones those are?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone 👋😄 Has anyone been deciding between UNC and UCLA for their MPH (I'm in EHS but was wondering how it's been for everyone)? I've been trying to look at both for ag, water pollution, environmental justice!

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's likely to have research opportunities for both and if there are ways to get involved in research centers outside of the concentration, too!!

I'm still deciding between Yale (SBS), Hopkins MSPH (PFRH), and Emory (BSHES). Does anyone have any recommendations or insight, I'm completely stuck.( I am also pre-med)

Thank you for sharing good information!
Do you think that "extensive waitlist" means that competition is higher than usual this year?
I would think so. The GRE being optional for a lot of programs led to a surge in applications this cycle.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I would think so. The GRE being optional for a lot of programs led to a surge in applications this cycle.

According to the Chief Advocacy Officer from the Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH) there was a 40% increase in applications ... and that’s not even counting that the cycle officially ends in June!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! Two Questions:

(1) Is anyone who is attending a NYC school concerned it will be online only? I was accepted to Columbia and placed my deposit there. However, just received an email from Fordham’s program stating the MPH program would specifically be remote for the 2021-2022 school year. I am worried other NYC schools, particularly in Manhattan, may follow suit?

(2) Will anyone in the MPH Public Policy and Management tracks also be looking into MHA programs, or earning a duel degree? Would love to reach out!

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if this has been asked already but I couldn’t find a response. Just wanted to get some input into if you commit/put down a deposit for a school but later withdraw your place? I know you wouldn’t get your deposit back but is that it?

Hi all! Two Questions:

(1) Is anyone who is attending a NYC school concerned it will be online only? I was accepted to Columbia and placed my deposit there. However, just received an email from Fordham’s program stating the MPH program would specifically be remote for the 2021-2022 school year. I am worried other NYC schools, particularly in Manhattan, may follow suit?

(2) Will anyone in the MPH Public Policy and Management tracks also be looking into MHA programs, or earning a duel degree? Would love to reach out!
From the info session I attended a couple of weeks ago, NYU is looking to be majorly in person in the Fall.

Hi all! Two Questions:

Columbia seems to be leaning that the core for the MPH will be remote because the classes are large - but it has not been announced. The MHA should be in person bc the classes are small. spring is expected to be in person bc class size decreases.

Hopkins said any class over 50 will be online so I'm assuming Columbia will follow.

Hi all! Two Questions:

Columbia's policy is that if you accept your offer of admission before April 15, you have until June 1 to request a year's deferral, if that's helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, I don't see too many people applying, or wanting to go to state schools. Is there a reason? The vast majority I've seen on here have been these super expensive, prestigious private schools like Columbia, Yale, JHU, Emory, etc. I feel like there are a lot of really good "public ivy" schools that would be much cheaper and would be a better value for your degree. I really don't think an Ivy League caliber school name matters as much as we think it does. Especially if it means going into debt that well exceeds many of the starting salaries in the PH field. I think if you're strategic and make the most out of your program, and the right moves, you can ultimately end up where you want.
I see some UNC, which is actually ranked better than any Ivy in public health. I think that might count as a "public ivy". But I agree, there are a lot of good state schools out there

ok very torn currently between Hopkins MSPH in International Health, Health Systems and NYU's MPH in Health Policy and Management with a concentration in Health Policy.
for reference: I'm interested in working post grad with international organizations and planning of healthcare systems (particularly in LMIC countries), looking at organizations like UN its agencies and WHO. I am fresh out of undergrad (just took a gap year bc of COVID) and have some language skills and previous internship experience with an IGO assisting with international covid response and communications of policies.

I'm not sure if the IH, Health systems degree title is almost "too niche" which might be an issue if I can't land a job post grad and would have to look at domestic work and health systems. Whereas at NYU it's the "School of Global Public Health" and offers electives and courses in international health and studies that can be integrated into my degree yet the degree title is still lax enough that it could work with domestic orgs/systems

I got the 75% MTS at JHU (which according to current IH students, most everyone gets) AND it can only be used in the second academic year which might be only two terms of classes so still cheap. First academic year has an inflated tuition fee of ~59k and really heavy course load that makes it difficult to work until terms 3 and 4.
At NYU, I got no aid but most classes are after 4 pm so it would be conducive to work part / full time to try and handle the ~47k ish yearly cost.
I am fortunate to have no debt from undergrad since I commuted and had a decent scholarship that covered a good sum of tuition, so both ways I would be taking on a large amount of debt (much like many other public health students)

Anyone have any other opinions that can kind of soothe my soul due to the substantial debt to be faced either way? I think I am leaning towards NYU right now but also don't want to feel like I missed out since Hopkins is #1.

• Care
does anyone know the deposit cost for Brown?? I can't seem to find it anywhere :( thank u!!

Columbia's policy is that if you accept your offer of admission before April 15, you have until June 1 to request a year's deferral, if that's helpful!
Won't we risk losing our scholarships if we do that?

ok very torn currently between Hopkins MSPH in International Health, Health Systems and NYU's MPH in Health Policy and Management with a concentration in Health Policy.
for reference: I'm interested in working post grad with international organizations and planning of healthcare systems (particularly in LMIC countries), looking at organizations like UN its agencies and WHO. I am fresh out of undergrad (just took a gap year bc of COVID) and have some language skills and previous internship experience with an IGO assisting with international covid response and communications of policies.

I'm not sure if the IH, Health systems degree title is almost "too niche" which might be an issue if I can't land a job post grad and would have to look at domestic work and health systems. Whereas at NYU it's the "School of Global Public Health" and offers electives and courses in international health and studies that can be integrated into my degree yet the degree title is still lax enough that it could work with domestic orgs/systems

I got the 75% MTS at JHU (which according to current IH students, most everyone gets) AND it can only be used in the second academic year which might be only two terms of classes so still cheap. First academic year has an inflated tuition fee of ~59k and really heavy course load that makes it difficult to work until terms 3 and 4.
At NYU, I got no aid but most classes are after 4 pm so it would be conducive to work part / full time to try and handle the ~47k ish yearly cost.
I am fortunate to have no debt from undergrad since I commuted and had a decent scholarship that covered a good sum of tuition, so both ways I would be taking on a large amount of debt (much like many other public health students)

Anyone have any other opinions that can kind of soothe my soul due to the substantial debt to be faced either way? I think I am leaning towards NYU right now but also don't want to feel like I missed out since Hopkins is #1.
Hey! I’m in similarish dilemma as you. I’m also trying to figure out if I’m
being too niche wth global health vs wanting to do health policy and management

Struggling to decide between UNC, Yale, and GW for an MPH in Health Policy. The cost is about equal between all of the programs for me after applying the scholarships I've received. I'm a big health policy nerd with a passion for Medicaid Policy and health system reform. Interested in pursuing a career on the policy development side of things either for government or an advocacy organization post-grad. If anyone has experience/thoughts on these programs feel free to share here or PM :)

Strengths I see in each school:

UNC:
- Large faculty
- Focus on health disparities
- Students seem very collaborative

Yale
- Student-Faculty ratio
- Access to other Yale Schools (SOM in particular)
- Strong alumni network

GW
- Location, location, location - D.C. is awesome for anyone in the policy space (I have prior work experience in D.C.)
- Faculty with practical experience
- Good relationships on the Hill and at HHS

Not sure if this has been asked already but I couldn’t find a response. Just wanted to get some input into if you commit/put down a deposit for a school but later withdraw your place? I know you wouldn’t get your deposit back but is that it?
Yes, that's right, you just forfeit your deposit. You should probably email the school as soon as you know that you're going to another one so you can give them a heads up.

Sent an appeal to ask for merit aid reconsideration and was heard! Just received the news that I've been awarded an 18k scholarship to JHU's full-time MPH program!

I was told I didn't make the cut for scholarships a few times so for anyone else in a similar boat, there is still hope! Don't give up. :)
Hey, can I ask who did you mail and what all did you mention?

has anyone got their deposit fee waived? $500 is a lot for me

Yeah, I had my enrollment deposit waived
Im assuming this is for Columbia? When did you submit the waiver request and when did you hear back? I’m still waiting on mine. I wonder what they look at to approve it or not

Im assuming this is for Columbia? When did you submit the waiver request and when did you hear back? I’m still waiting on mine. I wonder what they look at to approve it or not

Actually, this was for Hopkins

For any JHU folks, Paul Whong had offered this option during a Q&A on Admitted Day, so I just emailed him with my request

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
committed to columbia!!!

• Love
Reactions: 29 users
committed to columbia!!!
CONGRATS! If you gave an update, I must have missed it, but did you figure out what you'd need to do to switch concentrations?

Sent an appeal to ask for merit aid reconsideration and was heard! Just received the news that I've been awarded an 18k scholarship to JHU's full-time MPH program!

I was told I didn't make the cut for scholarships a few times so for anyone else in a similar boat, there is still hope! Don't give up. :)
Proud of you! :)

• Care
CONGRATS! If you gave an update, I must have missed it, but did you figure out what you'd need to do to switch concentrations?
thankssss! departments or concentrations? I think concentrations are very easy. I cant ask for a department switch until next werk and i’m debating

i said yea either way bc both departments feel right to me
an interview i got put things in perspective
like i like global health alot so i’d be happy in both and for me it doesn’t feel right at any other schools

• Care
thankssss! departments or concentrations? I think concentrations are very easy. I cant ask for a department switch until next werk and i’m debating

i said yea either way bc both departments feel right to me
an interview i got put things in perspective
like i like global health alot so i’d be happy in both and for me it doesn’t feel right at any other schools
That's wonderful!!!! Thanks and congrats again :clap:

• Love
I really want to just take the plunge and submit my deposit to Yale, but I appealed Columbia and they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm pretty sure they're not going to offer anything (I don't have a 3.75+), if they even get back to me before 4/15. Has anyone successfully appealed or can give a timeline?

• Love
Has anyone who submitted a fee waiver for the Columbia enrollment fee heard back yet? And if so, was it approved? Im kinda over waiting now and just really wanna fully commit already lol

Hopefully we’ll hear back from UCLA today. If not, I’ll be committing to Emory later this evening!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I really want to just take the plunge and submit my deposit to Yale, but I appealed Columbia and they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm pretty sure they're not going to offer anything (I don't have a 3.75+), if they even get back to me before 4/15. Has anyone successfully appealed or can give a timeline?
I sent an email requesting an appeal on 4/1, heard back 4/7 - they gave $10k total over 4 sem, so $2500/sem. They literally gave me $0, so I stressed that ANYTHING would make a difference 😭

• Care
is anyone aware of the process for waitlist for either Yale or BU? I am waitlisted at both, and while I was leaning towards Icahn in case I do not get into either, they recently accounted they will be fully virtual for the 2021-2022 school year. so now I am really hoping for Yale or BU. do you think they will be able to give me a decision by mid-May/ early June?

is anyone aware of the process for waitlist for either Yale or BU? I am waitlisted at both, and while I was leaning towards Icahn in case I do not get into either, they recently accounted they will be fully virtual for the 2021-2022 school year. so now I am really hoping for Yale or BU. do you think they will be able to give me a decision by mid-May/ early June?
A lot of people are starting to leave the BU gc, so I hope you find out soon!

• Care
I’m giving up my spot at BU (and probably several others are too with the deadline). Best of luck to you!

Got a call from Brown's admissions office asking if I had any questions about the program, Providence, etc. Will be a tough decision if I get off of Columbia's waitlist. If not, really leaning towards Brown.

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone still waiting to hear about financial aid? I haven't heard from Vanderbilt yet

Got a call from Brown's admissions office asking if I had any questions about the program, Providence, etc. Will be a tough decision if I get off of Columbia's waitlist. If not, really leaning towards Brown.
That's interesting.. I haven't received a call from them today, but I'm already thinking of committing to Brown as well!

That's interesting.. I haven't received a call from them today, but I'm already thinking of committing to Brown as well!
They may be rolling them out this week before the April 15th deadline...but definitely left a good impression!

Is there a Brown group chat? Would love to chat with other people considering the program