MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received there Financial Aid Provisional Award Letter from UCLA? The wait is slowly getting to me

Nope, waiting on this too. The wait is killing me!! I was thinking about emailing but trying to be patient until it's officially April...gah!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received there Financial Aid Provisional Award Letter from UCLA? The wait is slowly getting to me
I emailed them about this & they said UCLA doesn't send those out until you commit to attend. Scholarships have all been distributed by now, though.

I emailed them about this & they said UCLA doesn't send those out until you commit to attend. Scholarships have all been distributed by now, though.

Wait, really? Someone asked about this at the Admitted Students Day and the answer was that students can anticipate seeing their estimated financial package before April 15. It would be important to most of us to be able to see any need-based aid, loans, scholarships, etc., before committing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, really? Someone asked about this at the Admitted Students Day and the answer was that students can anticipate seeing their estimated financial package before April 15. It would be important to most of us to be able to see any need-based aid, loans, scholarships, etc., before committing.

Quote from email:

"...the federal aid packages will be sent once you accept the offer - that is how UCLA does it..."

I have officially accepted the offer from Colorado School of Public Health MPH in Global Health- Environmental and Occupational Health. This morning I declined Environmental Health at Minnesota and took my name off the waitlist at BU. Hope this opens up a spot for someone who really wants to go there!! Unfortunately I'll be missing CSPH admitted students day on April 6th...anyone else going?

Congrats on making the decision. Did you receive any financial information from them? I'm still waiting to make a decision myself. I emailed them earlier this week inquiring about financial aid package and I haven't received any information yet.

Where from? I contacted the financial aid office and they said the most I could possibly get in loans is $33k. My "expected contribution" is super high. Apparently I can somehow pull $20k out of my ass.

Omggggggggggggggg
Your ass is so rich. I pray everyday that I will be able to pull $100 million from my ass, but it keeps dissapointing me. Oh well

So did anyone get into Harvard but rejected to Columbia?

I wonder who has the richest ass on the thread. Maybe when I graduate from Columbia, my ass will give birth to a gold / diamond mine.

Toodles every

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, Can someone offer my some info about columbia vs brown MPH program (academic, cost, financial aid, career development , etc.) ? I got admitted to both and I am struggling to make a decision...

Congraulations! Would you mind giving us a sense of your stats? Hoping to hear soon as well.

Application submitted: 1/23
Received on 1/28.

Good luck to those who are still waiting! Hang in there!

Now that its past 620PM EST any word from Columbia...?

I've corresponded with them this past week as their was a hiccup with my application (on their end) but other than that lol its been pretty quite.

Just went to accepted students day at BU SPH yesterday, kinda overcast rainy day but love Boston and pretty sure im set on going there. Conc. in Epi.

anyone else go there?

Now that its past 620PM EST any word from Columbia...?

I've corresponded with them this past week as their was a hiccup with my application (on their end) but other than that lol its been pretty quite.

No word. They have to tell us this week like please!!! lol

Just sent in my deposit to Emory! Any other people on here going there for the MPH in global epi?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else very impressed with yale's HCM program? I thought admitted students day was very insightful.

Congrats on making the decision. Did you receive any financial information from them? I'm still waiting to make a decision myself. I emailed them earlier this week inquiring about financial aid package and I haven't received any information yet.
Unfortunately no I haven't heard anything about financial aid packages, did you specifically apply for anything? I did my FAFSA about a month back

Anyone waiting for financial aid from Drexel...They said FAFSAs and such will not be reviewed until May.

Lol hopefully it's good news ;) you're still waiting on UIC as well correct?

Yes waiting on them too. The person I e-mailed said they're trying to get most, if not all, the decisions made by this Friday. Their admitted student's day is this Thursday.

Lol hopefully it's good news ;) you're still waiting on UIC as well correct?

Yup, still waiting on them too. The person I e-mailed said they're trying to get most, if not all, the decisions made by this Friday. Their admitted student's day is this Thursday.

Yup, still waiting on them too. The person I e-mailed said they're trying to get most, if not all, the decisions made by this Friday. Their admitted student's day is this Thursday.

Admitted Students day is this Thursday for UIC?
Do they have any other days?? I'm not sure when they'll make a decision for me; admissions director said there's an interview component for HPA. My application was verified so late with SOPHAS :/ and UIC waited until it was verified to review my app

I'm not sure how much a ticket will cost to NYC even with 10+ days to go... It's going to be too $$ at this point.

Do they have any other days?? I'm not sure when they'll make a decision for me; admissions director said there's an interview component for HPA. My application was verified so late with SOPHAS :/ and UIC waited until it was verified to review my app

I'm not sure how much a ticket will cost to NYC even with 10+ days to go... It's going to be too $$ at this point.
Yes, the admitted students day is this Thursday. As far as I know, there are no other dates scheduled so far. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it up there for it, so hopefully somebody on here will attend and provide us with an update. I hope you hear something from them soon!

Hi everyone, has anyone been flagged by the financial aid officer for unusual enrollment resolution?
I was just wondering how long this process takes? Mine has been taking 3 weeks now and I am waiting to get my package.

I took prerequisites for my B.A. at 3 different colleges. Does this have anything to do with me having a graduate degree already and being in debt already? Or is it just the fact that I received pell grants at different schools to fulfill my B.A. ?

Thanks

Yes, the admitted students day is this Thursday. As far as I know, there are no other dates scheduled so far. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it up there for it, so hopefully somebody on here will attend and provide us with an update. I hope you hear something from them soon!

:-///// I can (could) definitely make it! But lol I haven't been accepted yet it's been 2/3 weeks since they've said my application is complete and ready for review.

Could always go alone on a later day but that's no fun

Hi, I am a Foreign Medical Graduate. I started my application process in Feb 2015 since I made my decision to apply for MPH very late and my WES evaluation will be available at SOPHAS tomo. What are my odds of getting admission in any of these Univ? How far is my late application gonna affect me? Someone kindly help. I have applied for Health Policy and Management , Fall 2015 Intake.

Undergrad School: International Medical graduate from India (M.B.B.S)
Undergrad GPA: 3.15
Major/Minor: Medicine
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 310 V/Q/A.W= 153/157/3.5 and a TOEFL score of 98/120

Applied: Texas A&M, Univ of Alabama, Univ of South Flotida, Univ of Florida, Tulane Univ, Drexel Univ
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
[/QUOTE]

Experience/Research (please, be brief):[/QUOTE] 1 year of internship in teaching Hospital

Hi, I am a Foreign Medical Graduate. I started my application process in Feb 2015 since I made my decision to apply for MPH very late and my WES evaluation will be available at SOPHAS tomo. What are my odds of getting admission in any of these Univ? How far is my late application gonna affect me? Someone kindly help. I have applied for Health Policy and Management , Fall 2015 Intake.

Undergrad School: International Medical graduate from India (M.B.B.S)
Undergrad GPA: 3.15
Major/Minor: Medicine
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 310 V/Q/A.W= 153/157/3.5 and a TOEFL score of 98/120

Applied: Texas A&M, Univ of Alabama, Univ of South Flotida, Univ of Florida, Tulane Univ, Drexel Univ
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Experience/Research (please, be brief):[/QUOTE] 1 year of internship in teaching Hospital[/QUOTE]

I haven't applied to any of those schools; so I can't help there. But just a friendly suggestion I would apply to more schools with an HPM/HMP/HPA programs. Feel free to PM if you want too speak off a public forum

Hi everyone, has anyone been flagged by the financial aid officer for unusual enrollment resolution?
I was just wondering how long this process takes? Mine has been taking 3 weeks now and I am waiting to get my package.

I took prerequisites for my B.A. at 3 different colleges. Does this have anything to do with me having a graduate degree already and being in debt already? Or is it just the fact that I received pell grants at different schools to fulfill my B.A. ?

Thanks

I had the same thing on my financial aid at Temple University. I was told by their FA department that it was normal, at least at Temple. I did an AA at one college and took classes toward my BS at two others universities.

I had the same thing on my financial aid at Temple University. I was told by their FA department that it was normal, at least at Temple. I did an AA at one college and took classes toward my BS at two others universities.

Hi, so they told me I have to show proof I recieved credit at schools while getting Fin aid & that I never withdrew, which I havent

It's freaky though

Just received an email from the student services manager at UNC for the MPH-RD (nutrition) program at Gillings....WAITLISTED. They adhere to a policy of not disclosing waitlist rank.
They are requesting that admitted students make their decisions sooner rather than later but they may not be able to offer a final decision until April 15th.
patience is a virtue...:yeahright:

I just found this thread for better or for worse...but your situation sounds similar to mine. This is my second year applying to the UNC MPH/RD program and the second year in a row that I got waitlisted. Very frustrating! Any news?

I think it's just this Thursday. Expensive I'm sure!!! It's about to be APRIL!!!!

Going on week 10 since my application to Texas A&M was considered complete. IDK what the hell is going on. Seriously getting worried.

I'll be declining Columbia this week. Hope this opens up a spot to someone on the waitlist with different goals and interests.

I posted this on the money board but I thought I might post it here because I'd really like to hear what everyone has to say about this decision. :)

I am comparing 2 schools, and this is what I've put together. I'm posting all of this to maybe help with someone else who is trying to parse this out, but of course input is welcome.

1. Cost of Living in ATL is 17% greater than STL. Also, in their calculation of need Emory actually calculated LESS for living and transportation expenses. So, basically with the loans I'll be taking out, I'll have a $10k greater "after tax" "salary" going to WashU than Emory (the money I'll be living on; obviously it's loans so it's the real #). That is a considerably different quality of life, but it is only for 2 years.

2. Surface level cost of Emory is about $40k more than WashU. IF, however, I end up in public service (which, with an MPH, that is almost always the case), I would qualify for ICR payments with the 10 year loan forgiveness. Based on these calculations and a projected salary of $50k, I'd actually only end up paying $10k more for Emory.

3. Another consideration is that while Emory has given me $2k in pretty much guaranteed income per semester through the REAL program (though not everyone in the REAL program even gets a job!), I've applied to 2 fellowships at WashU that would actually be $2800/semester AND another fellowship that could increase my funding by $20k if I am selected as 1 of the 4 recipients (not banking on the second one). The difference is that in the REAL program, I'll probably be working where I would want to work doing what I would want to do. The fellowships I applied to are close but not exact at WashU.

4. Total loans at WashU to cover tuition, fees, and CoL would be a little less than $60k. At Emory, right at $100k.

5. Employment data at both schools is pretty comparable at least at the surface level, with WashU beign a very slightly lower placement % but a slightly higher average salary. The difference is the extensive network of Emory, but I'm wondering if maybe WashU is being sold short. WashU has top programs in pretty much everything else, and their med school trumps Emory by far. While the public health network at Emory is undoubtedly much more extensive and impressive, the overall network at WashU could be even more so (though I haven't confirmed this, still waiting to visit). Basically, though, I doubt there would be much difference in salary, but maybe in opportunities.

My main question is this: How likely is it that public service loan forgiveness will still be around for 10 years?

My main question is this: How likely is it that public service loan forgiveness will still be around for 10 years?

It's really hard to say right now. I can't imagine the Dept of Ed just pulling the rug out from students, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the qualifications tighten up. i.e. 15 years of service, cap on forgiveness amount, etc. The amount forgiven right now isn't even taxable income.

I think the program is only ~4 years old, so the first qualifiers won't start popping up until the early 2020s. If there's a flood of people getting lots of $$$ forgiven, I'm sure something will change.

TL;DR - It will probably still be around, but maybe a slimmed down version.

Reactions: 1 user
It's been a while since I posted here (Darn, real life stuff!). But, I got admitted to UI-Chicago yesterday!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
1 year of internship in teaching Hospital[/QUOTE]

I haven't applied to any of those schools; so I can't help there. But just a friendly suggestion I would apply to more schools with an HPM/HMP/HPA programs. Feel free to PM if you want too speak off a public forum[/QUOTE]
Hi, Thanks for your response. Have you applied for Fall 2015?
Can you pls tell me your mail id, I wish to get in touch with you offline if its not an issue.

Is anyone else terrified to make this decision? I'm so stressed out because I would love to choose Columbia, but can't decide if it's worth it to potentially have to be 100K in debt for an MPH in health policy + management. :sour:

Reactions: 2 users
It's been a while since I posted here (Darn, real life stuff!). But, I got admitted to UI-Chicago yesterday!!!

Congrats! :) Do you mind sharing when you applied? I'm still waiting to hear back from them.