MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fromthedessert

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have followed the Fall 2013 & Fall 2014 threads for MPH and they were not only helpful but super supportive! When I started to apply last year (I ended up withdrawing my applications because I realized I wanted to take a gap year after 17 years of going to school!) the community helped solidify each others strengths, answer FAQ and just support/encourage each other during the waiting game!

Now that I have decided to apply to graduate schools and another group of undergrads are starting their senior year, I felt it was imperative that we start this forum again. This time a little sooner (SOPHAS opens in 5 days!!!) to be there for each other as we take our GRE, fill out our SOPHAS, and get our applications together. This thread will help us create connections through the schools we apply to, celebrate each others acceptances, be there when one needs to vent about their rejections and support each other through the agony of being wait-listed.

Welcome to the Fall 2015 MPH application process & Let the games begin!

GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK!!

Note: I copy/pasted what is below from the @its_tay 's welcome letter from last year's thread who got it from @porkbunsrule. Thanks for being awesome y'all!!

This thread is to keep lively and healthy our obsessions, curiosities, and heightened but needless anxieties about our own wishes to save the world and our perceived expectations that others may be "better" at it. So, as is tradition:

Undergrad School:
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

***Finally, if you have accepted an offer and plan to matriculate to a particular school/program, I encourage you to start a thread (e.g., Johns Hopkins Fall 2014). Please avoid writing "Class of 2016" or the like. Some programs within a school are less (or more) than the traditional 2 years. So, to keep it open to everyone attending the same school, it may be best to label the thread based on when you are entering rather than the year you are graduating.***

**Since we are starting this thread a little sooner than usual you can fill out as much as you can and once you apply you can update your information. Feel free to post any questions you might have about the application process as they come because I'm sure a few people can answer those questions.**
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll start!

Undergrad School: University in the west
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: BS in Public health & BA in French
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable): ---
GRE (11/19- Q-50th, V-50th, W 3.5) [Exam kept freezing during my exam so petitioning it to be able to retake it] or Other Test (if applicable): Will take in November

- 9 months: Research Attendant at medical center
- 8 months (present): Intern/Principal investigator for a research project on homelessness and mental illness
- 4 weeks: Volunteer at a research institute in Canada
- Currently intern at the IRC

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied: Plan on applying to- Emory (BSHE), UA (Health Behavior & Health Prmotion), Temple U (Behavioral & Social Science), SUNY-Albany (Social Behavior & Community Health), Mount Sinai (Global Health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Undergrad School: Boston University
Undergrad GPA: 3.18 (Should be between 3.2 and 3.25 when I graduate, but as of now is a 3.18)
Major/Minor: Psychology Major / Public Health Minor
GRE : V=161, Q=149, A=4.5 (Taken 8/14)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Only thing I can think of is volunteering at a nursing home and I have also taken some public health(stats and epi) courses. I may also do a 4 month internship in public health during Fall 2014.
Applied: Plan on applying to - BU(Epidemiology), Tufts(Epidemiology), Tulane(Epidemiology)

I would love some advice on whether I should take the GRE again because of my quantitative score. Tulane doesn't list their average gre scores for applicants. For BU and Tufts, my Verbal score is above their average, but my Quantitative score is below their average. I'm wondering if this will be a problem, i.e. if the Quantitative is more important than the Verbal for epidemiology admissions.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Boston University
Undergrad GPA: 3.18 (Should be between 3.2 and 3.25 when I graduate, but as of now is a 3.18)
Major/Minor: Psychology Major / Public Health Minor
GRE : V=161, Q=149, A=Have Not Gotten This Score Yet (Taken 8/6/14)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Only thing I can think of is volunteering at a nursing home and I have also taken some public health(stats and epi) courses.
Applied: Plan on applying to - BU(Epidemiology), Tufts(Epidemiology), Tulane(Epidemiology)

I would love some advice on whether I should take the GRE again because of my quantitative score. Tulane doesn't list their average gre scores for applicants. For BU and Tufts, my Verbal score is above their average, but my Quantitative score is below their average. I'm wondering if this will be a problem, i.e. if the Quantitative is more important than the Verbal for epidemiology admissions.

I'm so glad you are participating! Since you took your GRE sooner than most people do (I've heard that most people take it between September and October) I would recommend that if you have the means you should try to get a higher score on the Q just to be safe! I know I am aiming for 156-165 on Q. Also remember that most schools look holistically at your application so you want something to stand out and I have found (through my Q&As with Tufts & BU) that the GRE really is important.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: Rutgers University
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Major/Minor: BS Public Health
GRE : Q 155, V 161, W 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief): -Study abroad through a Danish public health program
-Data Management Internship at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene
-AmeriCorps' HealthCorps Member
Applied: Columbia (MPH- Epi), Rutgers (MPH- Epi), GW (MPH- Epi), Yale (MPH- Chronic Epi), Emory (MPH- GLEPI, MPH- Epi)

Accepted: GWU (MPH- Epi) 1/6, Yale (MPH- Chronic Epi) 1/22,
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Emory(MPH-EPI, GLEPI?)

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Tiny, private southeast liberal arts school
Undergrad GPA: 3.1 undergrad and 3.55 post grad for a total of 3.2
Major/Minor: BA Communication with a concentration in public relations/Minor in theatre (lol). Just finished some extra health, bio, and stats courses.
GRE: Q 150, V 163, W 3.5. :thumbdown: Took the GRE after sleeping for only 2 hours due to pre test anxiety. Don't want to retake because standardized tests freak me out. Hoping my experience, SOP, and recommendations will make up for this.
Experience/Research: Community Health HIV/AIDS Educator- Peace Corps Swaziland (2 years), Health Educator and ESL Teacher- Peace Corps Rwanda (1 year), currently working as a Clinical Information Manager at a local ER (almost 2 years)

Applied: Emory, Yale, Columbia, Pitt, UC Denver, Arizona, Alabama Birmingham. All epi, specifically infectious disease and global epi.
Accepted: UAB, Columbia, Denver
Rejected: Pitt, Yale, Emory

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
good luck y'all! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for starting this. I plan on applying to MPH programs next year but I know it'll be super helpful in preparing for my application.

If anyone has any suggestions on applying to epidemiology programs as a liberal arts (in my case, anthropology/international affairs) major, I'd definitely welcome any comments or suggestions!

But anyway, good luck to this year's applicants! :)

I've been looking forward to this thread after stumbling upon the Fall 2014 one!!

Undergrad School: University of California, Riverside
Major/Minor: BA in Global Studies
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): will take end of September!!
Experience/Research (please, be brief): hospital internship (1 year), volunteering in convalescent hospital (3 months), Inside UCSF, starting to volunteer with Planned Parenthood, hoping to get into a LA Community Health Worker training program, most of my experience is in..event programming/student affairs

Applied: (planning for now) UCLA (community health sciences), UCI (sociocultural diversity and health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Do you all recommend any other programs that focus on health education/social & behavioral sciences/etc?? Looking forward to our conversations and bonding!!!!! :)

Last edited:
I've been looking forward to this thread after stumbling upon the Fall 2014 one!!

GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): will take end of September!!
Experience/Research (please, be brief): hospital internship (1 year), volunteering in convalescent hospital (3 months), Inside UCSF, starting to volunteer with Planned Parenthood, hoping to get into a LA Community Health Worker training program, most of my experience is in..event programming/student affairs

Applied: (planning for now) UCLA (community health sciences), UCI (sociocultural diversity and health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Do you all recommend any other programs that focus on health education/social & behavioral sciences/etc?? Looking forward to our conversations and bonding!!!!! :)
Seems like you want to stay in Cali?

I have already applied for Fall 2014 and will be attending Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine; based in their Global Health Systems and Development Department. After doing an insane amount of research, I can suggest that you definitely look at Emory's Rollin School of Public Health, their BSHE (Behavioral Sciences and Health Education) department is one of the best in the nation, as is UNC's Gilling's Health Behavior program. Not as internationally known, USC has a Global Health Leadership program that might be of interest to you as well.

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I have already applied for Fall 2014 and will be attending Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine; based in their Global Health Systems and Development Department. After doing an insane amount of research, I can suggest that you definitely look at Emory's Rollin School of Public Health, their BSHE (Behavioral Sciences and Health Education) department is one of the best in the nation, as is UNC's Gilling's Health Behavior program. Not as internationally known, USC has a Global Health Leadership program that might be of interest to you as well.

Congrats on Tulane !! I've been looking into USC's MPH program and leaning towards applying there too because of the global aspect! And thanks! I'll definitely look into those other programs as well, but @WHOdriscoll91 I'm hoping to stay within California if I can (more ideal for me financially~).

Undergrad School: International Denta; School
Undergrad GPA:
3.75-3.8 approx...[have to get it evaluated through credential services]
Major/Minor: Bachelor of Dental Surgery
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE 313 [Q-160,V-153] in the 1st attempt on 06/06...310 [Q-160,V-150] in the 2nd attempt 07/14...AWA 4 in both...bit on lower side:(...taking TOEFL on 08/30
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1 yr rotatory clinical internship, more than 2 yrs of professional work experience as a dentist and public health professional [have organised and took part in several community dental check-up camps]

Applied: Planning to apply in MPH-HPM UC Berkeley,MHSA/MPH-HPM UMich, MPH/MBA dual degree JHU, MPH/MBA dual degree BU, MHA/MPH UNC...Mostly interested in dual degree programs but can't afford without scholarships:(
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Anyone knows good school with dual degree program and low tuition fees?

Anybody got accepted at dual degree program...suggestions and help required...

All the very best everyone...:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: Agnes Scott College (As Seen in 10 U.S. Colleges w/Smartest Women!)
Undergrad GPA: 3.3ish - SOPHAS will be recalculating to include my outside UG classes, and using their scale which will only help
Major/Minor: Double major in history and political science
GradGPA & Grad Studies: Graduate Certificate in Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies 3.9; History MA 3.8
GRE: Old scale did super poorly in math, because it wasn't really important for history. 650 in Verbal. 6 in Writing. Scores for that was October 2011. Retaking now in a few weeks.
Experience/Research: Internship with Planned Parenthood Spring 2010; Fellowship with Planned Parenthood Summer 2013; work in a medical office since May 2009; MA thesis on malaria protocols during WWII; two publications on history of medicine; ghost writer for three publications in history of medicine (editor of volume is writing a LOR).

Applying for sure: Boston University - MPH, Epi; Emory - MPH, Epi, BSHE; Tufts - MPH, Biostats and Epidemiology (can't separate them, bastards); Harvard - MS, Reproductive, Perinatal, and Pediatric Epi; USF - MPH, Epi and Maternal and Child Health;
UF - MPH, Epi; GW - MPH, Epi.
Maybe applying: Tulane, Yale, FSU, Berkeley, Pitt, Penn

Undergrad School: Agnes Scott College (As Seen in 10 U.S. Colleges w/Smartest Women!)
Undergrad GPA: 3.3ish - SOPHAS will be recalculating to include my outside UG classes, and using their scale which will only help
Major/Minor: Double major in history and political science
GradGPA & Grad Studies: Graduate Certificate in Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies 3.9; History MA 3.8
GRE: Old scale did super poorly in math, because it wasn't really important for history. 650 in Verbal. 6 in Writing. Scores for that was October 2011. Retaking now in a few weeks.
Experience/Research: Internship with Planned Parenthood Spring 2010; Fellowship with Planned Parenthood Summer 2013; work in a medical office since May 2009; MA thesis on malaria protocols during WWII; two publications on history of medicine; ghost writer for three publications in history of medicine (editor of volume is writing a LOR).

Applying for sure: Boston University - MPH, Epi; Emory - MPH, Epi, BSHE; Tufts - MPH, Biostats and Epidemiology (can't separate them, bastards); Harvard - MS, Reproductive, Perinatal, and Pediatric Epi; USF - MPH, Epi and Maternal and Child Health;
UF - MPH, Epi; GW - MPH, Epi.
Maybe applying: Tulane, Yale, FSU, Berkeley, Pitt, Penn
Wow your MA thesis sounds interesting! Just curious what makes Berkeley a maybe?

@WHOdriscoll91 It's soooo far, and I'm soooo lazy. Well, that's my cover, at least. I'm just now working through the program specifics, actually. My "maybe" list is more like a "keep reading, stop facebook trolling because someone is wrong on the internet" list. I've just recently decided to not push through and apply only for Spring 15, an instead take the time and wait for Fall 15. Better/more programs, etc. Now I've got many more opportunities to read about! When I was about to apply for my PhD in history (War and Society/History of Medicine) Berekely was where I wanted to be, so we'll see!

I know I'm more than a little biased, but I love that thesis. 130 pages of love. A few peers, as of late, have asked me to read/edit their theses and I get 25-35 page documents, sources included. What is happening to the world?!

@WHOdriscoll91 It's soooo far, and I'm soooo lazy. Well, that's my cover, at least. I'm just now working through the program specifics, actually. My "maybe" list is more like a "keep reading, stop facebook trolling because someone is wrong on the internet" list. I've just recently decided to not push through and apply only for Spring 15, an instead take the time and wait for Fall 15. Better/more programs, etc. Now I've got many more opportunities to read about! When I was about to apply for my PhD in history (War and Society/History of Medicine) Berekely was where I wanted to be, so we'll see!

I know I'm more than a little biased, but I love that thesis. 130 pages of love. A few peers, as of late, have asked me to read/edit their theses and I get 25-35 page documents, sources included. What is happening to the world?!

Awesome! Yah, I'm just curious as a fellow eastcoaster if there is something bad about California I'm missing. Granted Berkely would be my only west coast choice.

Congrats on Tulane !! I've been looking into USC's MPH program and leaning towards applying there too because of the global aspect! And thanks! I'll definitely look into those other programs as well, but @WHOdriscoll91 I'm hoping to stay within California if I can (more ideal for me financially~).

Thanks, @tokyoshuynh! Best of luck to you with your applications! Classes start tomorrow at Tulane, needless to say I'm super excited.

Undergrad School: University of California, San Diego
Undergrad GPA: 2.8
Major/Minor: BS Economics & Mathematics
GRE : taking it in beginning of December (Is that kinda too late????)
Experience/Research worked at a healthcare institution for 3 years as a informatics data analyst. Although, I started there in my junior year so only one year work experience as full time

Applied: Planning to: University of Illinois, Chicago(MHA); Indiana University(MPH Biostats); Ohio State (MHA); SDSU(MPH Biometry); University of Colorado (MPH Biostats)
Accepted:
Rejected:

Anyone wanna guess my chances (because of my low gpa)? How many years of experiences do applicants for MHA usually have? I feel they mostly want people that already are managers, is that true??

Undergrad School: University of Kentucky
Undergrad GPA: 3.988
Major/Minor: B.S. in Kinesiology with Sociology minor
GradGPA (if applicable):--
Grad Studies (if applicable):--
GRE (including date taken): Verbal- 164; Quantitative- 160. Essays- 5.0. Taken- 08/14.
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Currently an intern at a local Public Health Department; Currently an Instructor Assistant at the University of Kentucky Sustainability Program; Currently enrolled in two graduate classes from the School of Public Health at the same University; Conducted research interviews with inhabitants living near a coal power plant; Previously volunteer and got training for health care advocacy group for 6 month; Previously worker for immigrant taxi workers organization in relation to ergonomics, smoking cessation program and benefits advocacy for 6 months; Previously worked at a psychiatrist and counseling center for 2 years.

Applied: I have applied for Social and Behavioral Science focused programs in 11 universities. They are Boston, Columbia, Emory, Tulane, UC Berkeley, UCLA, U of I at Chicago, U of Michigan, UNC, U of Pittsburgh, Yale.
Accepted: Tulane!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Undergrad School: Villanova University
Undergrad GPA: 3.80
Major/Minor: Biology and French

GRE: V 160, Q 159, AWA 4.5 (Taken 7/29)
Experience/Research: Worked for a month in the Bahamas as an assistant to doctors at an alternative cancer treatment and family medicine center drafting proposals for various clinical trials, Interned for a summer at a Health Education Center, Served as a global health campus ambassador for Catholic Relief Services, Only research experience has been in research-intensive lab classes

Applied: Emory (Global Epi), Boston University (Epi/Global Health), George Washington (Epi), Pitt (Epi or Infectious Disease)

Accepted: Pitt - 12/23, George Washington- 1/6 (~$24k merit scholarship), Boston University- 1/20 ($18k merit scholarship), Emory- 1/22

Last edited:
Undergrad School: University of California, Davis
Undergrad GPA: 3.05
Major/Minor: BA Evolutionary Anthropology, Minor Insect Biology
GRE: V 160, Q 154, AWA 4.0 (taken 8/24)
Experience/Research:
-2.5 years working as a paid student assistant in an evolutionary genetics lab
-6 months doing field work as a paid student assistant for a wildlife bio lab on a West Nile Virus project

Applied: Boston University (Global Health), Emory (Global Health-Infectious Disease), George Washington (Global Health), Ohio State (Epi), Saint Louis University (Global Health), UIC (Epi), U Maryland (Epi and Global Health), Pitt (Infectious Diseases and Microbiology), Washington University-St. Louis (Global Health) SOPHAS verified 11/14
Accepted:
Saint Louis University (12/16), Washington University (12/16), University of Pittsburgh (12/17), Boston University (12/18) Ohio State, UIC
Rejected: GW, Emory
Withdrew: U Maryland

Last edited:
Haven't used this forum since I was selling my MCAT books 3 years ago, haha. Thank goodness I've veered off the pre-med track and have finally realized that my life calling is public health :p Anyways, thought I'd post my stats because I've been creeping on some of the threads here and am interested in seeing how I compare.

Undergrad School:Princeton University
Major/Minor: Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V: 163, Q:163, AW: 4.0
  • Volunteer @ nursing home (summer '12)
  • Volunteer @ local soup kitchen ('12-14)
  • Volunteer @ local animal shelter ('12-14)
  • Leadership position in public-health related organization/student club ('12-14)
  • Internship at Alumnicorps Project55 office, working on its public service program (summer '13)
  • Research experience-- 2 junior independent papers and an undergraduate thesis
Currently serving in Singapore as an international teaching fellow through Princeton in Asia's post-graduate fellowship program. (I also spent some time abroad in Panama my junior year)

Applied: Boston University
(Global Health), Columbia (Population & Family Health with a certificate in Global Health), Emory (Global Health, concentration in Community Health & Development), UMichigan (Health Behavior and Health Education), Tulane (Global Community Health & Behavioral Sciences: Nutrition), Yale (Social & Behavioral Sciences, concentration in Global Health)
Waitlisted: BU (1/16), Emory (1/22)
Accepted: Tulane (12/10), UMichigan (12/24)
Rejected: Yale (2/1), Columbia (2/12)

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Villanova University
Undergrad GPA: 3.79
Major/Minor: BS Biology, BA French

GRE: V 160, Q 159, AWA 4.5 (Taken 7/29)
Experience/Research: Worked for a month in the Bahamas as an assistant to doctors at an alternative cancer treatment and family medicine center drafting proposals for various clinical trials, Interned for a summer at a Health Education Center, Served as a global health campus ambassador for Catholic Relief Services, Only research experience has been in research-intensive lab classes

Applying: Emory (Global Epi), Columbia (Epi/Global Health), George Washington (Epi), Pitt (Epi or Infectious Disease)

Considering: Michigan, Minnesota, Hopkins, UMiami, BU, Yale

For Emory are you applying to the MS Global Epi or the MPH global epi program?

Hi everyone! Starting to get nervous about the application process. I just want to know already!

Undergrad School: Cal Polytechnic, San Luis Obispo
Undergrad GPA: 3.867
Major/Minor: Biological Sciences; Anatomy and Physiology concentration
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE: V: 161 Q: 159 A: 5

-3 years research experience in animal behavior and genetics labs
-3 month internship with the Epidemiology Department of the San Luis Obispo County Public Health Agency working in an Epidemiologic Profile of HIV/AIDS in the county
-1 month fellowship in Global Health in Nicaragua
-3 years tutoring experience in Chem, Bio, Physics, and Calculus
-Public Health Club President
-2 years leader of a team that does community health assessments for epidemiological analysis
- 1 year volunteer as a Physical Therapy Aide at a home for the developmentally disabled

Applied (tentatively): Columbia (MPH-epi, infectious diseases), Boston U (MPH-epi), University of Pittsburgh (MPH-Human Genetics), University of Washington (MPH-Public Health Genetics), UC Berkeley (MPH-Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology), UCLA (MPH-epi), University of Arizona (MPH-epi), San Diego State University (MPH-epi)

I'm thinking about maybe applying to some schools as a Ph. D. applicant, but I'm not sure that I'm qualified enough yet (given that my background is in biology and not public health). I also don't know whether or not to retake the GRE to get my quant score up, but I don't think I'll be able to score that well in the verbal again!

Yes! After 18 months of lurking it's my turn to post my stats!

Undergrad School: University of Virginia
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Kinesiology; concentration in Exercise Physiology
Grad GPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable): took a full semester of M.S. in Exercise Physiology classes while I was in an undergrad. Didn't want to finish my MS at the time.
GRE: May 2014; V: 165, Q: 163, AW: 4.0
- 1 semester volunteer PT tech at rehab hospital in college, did a couple case-studies; plus much more PT volunteering from high school
- 3 years coach of a high school gymnastics team (part time)
- 2 years full time gymnastics coach; 4+ years as a judge
When I started undergrad I was pre-PT. I don't have any public health work experience - all of it is athletics-based. I hoping this will work out as I'm going into PH to study the effects of & promote increased physical activity, particularly in kids.

Applied: Colorado (Physical Activity) , Pittsburgh (Epi, conc. in lifestyle intervention); Emory (Behavioral Sciences); Temple (Behavioral Sciences); Drexel; Maryland (College Park) (Physical Activity); Yale (Chronic Disease Epi)
Accepted: Temple (12/5); Pittsburgh (12/15); Drexel (12/23) w/ $17K/year merit scholarship; Emory (1/18) Maryland (1/30)
Rejected: Yale (1/8)
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Hey! So I would love if ya'll help me out. I just graduated and really want to apply for Fall 2015.
Undergrad: Boston
Undergrad GPA: My PH major gpa is 3.4 but overall is lower than that :(
Major/Minor: Public Health
GRE: Taking it in a few weeks (i took a practice test and I'm above 50% in Q (159), low 50% in V (141)
- 1 year teaching assistant for math/reading kids
- 1 semester editing a science film and the following semester interning there
- 1 semester working on independent short doc about a global health project, got an award for it
- 1 semester helping with writing a grant for a K-12 life skills teaching class
- Internship at a health ed & behavioral sciences department, focus on tobacco marketing

Interested in health behaviors/health ed/health communication and some Epi programs
Apply(ing): Emory, Boston, JHU health ed (am I too hopeful?), Yale, UCLA, UMinnesota, Tulane, UNC, Tufts (has a good health comm program), UMich, GWU (has a good health comm program), U Texas, USF, Drexel

I'm worried about lack of experience in PH, seriously am I aiming too high? I'm really working hard to get a high GRE score because of my low GPA

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Arizona State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Biological Sciences: Genetics, Cell, and Development
GradGPA
(if applicable): none yet :)
GRE: V: 160 Q: 156 W: 4.5
Experience/Research:
I've worked since forever but here it goes:
  • 1.5 years as Sr. undergraduate in a chemical and animal behavior research lab
  • 2.5 years in research for Public Health on going study at Biomedical Collaborative ( will be published before graduation)
  • 8 years translation and volunteer work for Somali refugees in Phoenix area
  • Various leadership positions in organizations on campus
  • loads of volunteer work for Habitat for Humanity and FMSC
  • 3 years management experience at Lifetime Fitness
SOPHAS Submitted: 11/14 SOPHAS verified: 11/17

I am interested in only an MPH with an emphasis in Epidemiology ( infectious disease) and then in the future a Ph.D in Epi

Applied: BU ( Epi) , Johns Hopkins, Yale, UC Berkeley ( Infectious Disease), Columbia (Epi), UCLA , Tulane
Accepted: Tulane Epi(12/8), BU Epi 18k scholarship( 12/18), UC Berkeley IDV with full 2-year tuition fellowship and $15,000 stipend (1/9), UCLA Epi (2/3), Columbia Epi $25,000 merit scholarship (2/6), Johns Hopkins (3/10)
Waitlisted:
Rejected: Yale 1/8

Good Luck to Everyone :)

Last edited:
Everyone stop having good applications. Now.

Reactions: 4 users
Dear fellows on the big boat to Public health in Grad School, here are my details-

Undergrad School:
Non-US medical school
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor: Medicine

GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 158 V, 157 Q

>3 years health volunteer- in health education and awareness campaigns with an NGO
>1 year internship- rotatory in all medical and surgical departments at a teaching hospital

Applied: Boston U, JHSPH, Emory Rollins, Yale
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'll have to port my data over!

I applied for the current cycle (graduated 2014) but am in a gap year (because I'm young/had the opportunity to move to and work in Austria for the year because my mum is sick).

I deferred (so I know where I'm going) but I'll be entering Columbia Mailmans class of 2017! Aye :)

Undergrad School: Small liberal arts college in Georgia
Undergrad GPA: 3.13
Major/Minor: Animal Science with minors in Biology and Chemistry
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE V: 157 Q: 156 W: 3.5 taken 4/28/2013 (considering retaking - had severe Mono at time of testing) Other Test (if applicable):
Not a lot of research experience

- 1 year of undergraduate research on the environmental impact of run-off pollutants, specifically focused on semi-aquatic animals
- Disaster response with the American Red Cross (responded to multiple tornadoes in the southeast and did a lot of community awareness)
- 1.5 years of work with MUN focusing on infectious diseases
- Did community advocacy work for about a year with URMs

Verified by SOPHAS on 11/13
Applied (11/3): Emory MPH (Epi/EHS/GH), Georgia State MPH (Epi), Mt. Sinai MPH (Epi), Columbia MPH (Epi), BU MPH (Epi), GWU MPH (Epi), and UIC MPH (Epi), Harvard SM2 (ID Epi), UT DRC (Epi), UNT (Epi)
Accepted: Mt. Sinai (11/25), BU (12/18), UNT (1/11), UIC (2/10), UTDRC (2/11), Emory (EH - 2/18), GSU (3/18), Emory (Epi - 4/10)
Rejected: GWU (12/8), Emory (GLEPI - 2/18), Harvard (3/13)
Waitlisted:

Attending: University of Illinois at Chicago (Epi) :soexcited:!

Last edited:
I'm originally from and currently live in Florida, but I really don't like it here and want to move to California. That's pretty much why I am only applying to graduate schools in those states. I figured that if I have to stay in Florida then I might as well save money on tuition. I've gone through the Fall 2013 and 2014 forums, and they gave me hope that I could be accepted despite my low GPA. I'm hoping my GRE scores will compensate for that on some level. My goal is to get all of my applications done by early November.

Undergrad School: University of Florida
Undergrad GPA: Overall = 3.1 ; Upper Division = 3.2
Major/Minor: Biology (major)/ Religion (minor)
GradGPA: N/A
Grad Studies: N/A
GRE: 163 V, 151 Q, waiting on writing score
Experience/Research:
- Advocacy Chair for on-campus American Cancer Society/Relay for Life - 3 years
- Undergraduate Researcher at the Florida Museum of Natural History studying Euptychoides butterflies (may be published by end of the year)- 1.5 years
- Volunteer for Florida Department of Health Minority AIDS Program - 6 months

Applying: UC Davis (general MPH), UC Irvine (Epi-MPH), UC Berkeley (Epi/Biostat-MPH), UCLA (Epi-MPH), University of Florida (Epi-MPH), University of Miami (Epi-MPH), University of South Florida (Epi-MPH)

Should I retake the GRE? My quantitative score is lower than I was hoping.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Case Western Reserve University
Undergrad GPA: 3.4 (3.3 sophas)
Major/Minor: Nutrition/Sociology
GRE: 151 V 154 Q 4 W
Experience/Research:
- Preventative Research for Healthy Neighborhoods Intern
-University Hospital Administration

Applying: Ohio State, UC Denver, UIC, Tulane, Case Western (undecided concentrations)
Accepted: UC denver(2/12), Tulane, UIC (2/12)
Rejected: Ohio State

Anyone with input on my lower GPA and scores please advise!

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Columbus State University
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor: Health Science
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking in November

4 years - Hospital Volunteer
3 years - Habitat For Humanity Volunteer
Medical mission trip in Managua, Nicaragua
Conducted autism research

Applied: University of South Florida(Epi/Global Communicable Diseases - MPH), University of Alabama(Epi-MPH), Tulane(Epi-MPH), University of Georgia(Epi-MPH), Georgia Southern (Epi-MPH), Emory(Global Health MPH, Epi, and Global Epi MPH), Tulane (Epi- MPH), Georgia State (Epi-MPH), Columbia (Epi) - MPH)
Accepted: Georgia Southern (Epi)(1/5 via email) , Tulane (Epi) (1/13 via email)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT)
Undergrad GPA: 3.76
Major/Minor: Bachelors in Health Sciences Honors (Comprehensive Stream)
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V:153 Q:150 W:4.5 Taken on 9/3/14
4 months- Running a Eyewitness Memory and Identification Lab for a psychology study.
8 months- Volunteered and worked on a research project with a cognitive psychologist on developing an educative pamphlet on cognitive effects of chemotherapy and radiation on cancer patients to be displayed in a leading cancer hospital.
1 year- Worked as a research assistant at a Stroke Prevention Clinic to collect data on medication adherence and lifestyle among stroke patients. Research poster for the study was published and will be presented at various Heart and Stroke Foundation Conferences.

Received 3 scholarships while pursuing my bachelors degree

Planning on Applying to:
UW (MPH Epi & Social and Behavioral Sciences), Columbia (MPH Epi & Health Policy and Management), NYU (MPH Epi & Community and International Health), Boston (MPH & MS Epi). Also applying to Canadian schools such as: UofT, UBC, QueensU, Waterloo, YorkU, OttawaU, McGill and maybe Guelph.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Boston University (2/2)
Waitlisted:

Good luck everyone hope to keep everyone updated! I've trolled a few of the previous years and honestly it's such a relief to see so many people with completely different statistics applying to various schools. My situation is unusual since I am applying to both American and Canadian schools.

Anyone know if any of the schools I am applying to provide financial aid? Since this is going to cost an arm and a leg. :p

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Brigham Young University - Idaho
Undergrad GPA: 3.76
Major/Minor: International Studies - Public Health emphasis/Mandarin Chinese
GRE : V-152, Q-148, W-3 Taken 8/13
Experience/Research:
Global Public Health internship in Chiang Rai, Thailand. Employed 2.5 years a Local Health Department as an Emergency Preparedness Specialist and Medical Reserve Corps Coordinator. Presented project at the National Public Health Preparedness Conference. Was published for article regarding MRC volunteers.

Planning to Apply: Pitt (Infectious Disease), USF (Global Communicable Disease), U Colorado (Global Epi), U Arizona (Epi), U Utah (Gen MPH)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Undergrad School: Annamalai university INDIA
Undergrad GPA: Under evaluation by WES -hoping 3.5 GPA
Major/Minor: Doctor of pharmacy (Pharm.D)
GRE : V-149, Q-150, AWA-3 Taken 8/20/2014
Experience/Research:
Currently i have no experience i am doing my internship (Dont know if it can be considered as experience). and i have 5 publications on cancer & one indexed in NLM.gov, Attended and presented few international conferences

Planning to Apply: planning for FALL-15' for Texas A&M college station (Epi), USFlorida (Epi),UNTexas (Epi), UFlorida (Epi), USCalifornia (Epi)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

please, suggest if my selection is appropriate for my profile? and please suggest any other college competative enough for my profile.

Undergrad School: The Ohio State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.316
Major/Minor: BS in Public Health, Specialization: Environmental Health; Minor: Neuroscience
GRE: V-161, Q-163, A-5.0; Taken 8/15/2014
Experience/Research:
4 months internship with nonprofit, Children's Hunger Alliance, working on community nutrition education projects
~1 year paid research at the Wexner Medical Center working on a project utilizing ultraviolet light-emitting machines to eliminate the spread of healthcare-associated infections
1 semester study abroad in India with a focus on global public health
6 months volunteer work as a Nutrition/Sexual Wellness student outreach ambassador on campus
~1 year volunteer work at the Wexner Medical Center in the ambulatory surgical unit
3 months volunteer work at the Mid-Ohio Food Bank
3.5 years on a South-Asian competitive dance team (2.5 years as captain/manager)
Co-director of a national South-Asian dance competition, with proceeds going to the Pure Water Access Project

SOPHAS submitted 11/12, verified 11/18

Applied:
Boston (MPH-Epi), Columbia (MPH-Epi w/ cert. Infectious Disease), Emory (MPH-Global Epi), George Washington (MPH-Epi), Ohio State (MPH-Epi), Tulane (MPH-Epi), Illinois @ Chicago (MPH-Epi), Michigan (MPH-International Health Epi), Minnesota (MPH-Epi), Pitt (MPH-Infectious Disease, MICP), South Florida (MPH-Global Communicable Disease Epi), Texas @ Houston (MPH-Epi), and Yale (MPH-Epi of Microbial Disease)
Accepted: Michigan (12/5), Texas @ Houston (12/5), Minnesota (12/10), Ohio State (12/11), Tulane (12/12), Boston (12/19), Pitt (12/22), George Washington (1/6), Yale (1/8), Illinois @ Chicago (1/30), South Florida (2/3), Columbia (2/6), Emory (2/17)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Interested in all MPH Epi programs with some having a concentration in infectious disease. My top choice is Emory because of the CDC connection, but I'm so nervous since I have no full-time experience! :( Good luck to everyone!!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Harvard or Boston programs have a rolling admission? Or do all schools stick to a firm deadline? I tried searching elsewhere in the forum and came up blank. Thanks for any insight!

Major/Minor: BS in Public Health, Specialization: Environmental Health; Minor: Neuroscience
Experience/Research:
4 months internship with nonprofit (Children's Hunger Alliance) working on community nutrition education projects
~1 year paid research at the Wexner Medical Center working on project to reduce healthcare-associated infections
~1 year unpaid research at the Wexner Medical Center working on an epidemiological meta-analysis
6 months volunteer work as a Nutrition/Sexual Wellness student outreach ambassador on campus
~1 year volunteer work at the Wexner Medical Center in the ambulatory surgical unit
Co-director of a national South-Asian dance competition, with proceeds going to a a regional cancer hospital

Applying: All MPH Epi programs with some having a concentration in infectious disease: Boston, Columbia, Drexel, Emory, George Washington, OSU, Tulane, UIllinois @ Chicago, Michigan, Minnesota, Pitt, South Florida, Texas, and Yale

My top choice is Emory because of the CDC connection, but I'm so nervous since I have no full-time experience! :( Good luck to everyone!!

I wouldn't worry. You have lots of research and relevant volunteer experience, plus your GRE looks great and you have a public health educational background. In my opinion, you're a very competitive candidate. :)

I wouldn't worry. You have lots of research and relevant volunteer experience, plus your GRE looks great and you have a public health educational background. In my opinion, you're a very competitive candidate. :)

Thanks for the faith! That feels really good to hear from someone else. I guess we'll see what happens once the applications are all in haha. :) Good luck on your apps!

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Undergrad GPA: 2.8
Major/Minor: Biochemistry, Concentration Molecular Biology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE 153 V 150 Q 3.5 AW taken 6/14/2014. Taking again Nov 1st.
Experience/Research
4 months as a laboratory intern at a Gallo Winery in Napa.
1.5 years and running as a preclinical imaging lab manager at UCSF in the radiology and biomedical imaging department.
Got accepted to volunteer in India in public health and community medicine May 2015 through an SF-based NGO.

Applied: Applying to Colorado State (Global Health), Boston University (Global Health), Vanderbilt (Global Health), Lund University in Sweden (MPH), and London School (MPH)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Anyone want to guess my odds as well (because of my low GPA)??

Experience/Research:
4 months internship with nonprofit (Children's Hunger Alliance) working on community nutrition education projects
~1 year paid research at the Wexner Medical Center working on project to reduce healthcare-associated infections
~1 year unpaid research at the Wexner Medical Center working on an epidemiological meta-analysis
Co-director of a national South-Asian dance competition, with proceeds going to a a regional cancer hospital

Applying: All MPH Epi programs with some having a concentration in infectious disease: Boston, Columbia, Drexel, Emory, George Washington, OSU, Tulane, UIllinois @ Chicago, Michigan, Minnesota, Pitt, South Florida, Texas, and Yale

My top choice is Emory because of the CDC connection, but I'm so nervous since I have no full-time experience! :( Good luck to everyone!!

I also think you are a very competitive applicant because of your extensive work experience and high GRE score! Best luck!

Haven't used this forum since I was selling my MCAT books 3 years ago, haha. Thank goodness I've veered off the pre-med track and have finally realized that my life calling is public health :p Anyways, thought I'd post my stats because I've been creeping on some of the threads here and am interested in seeing how I compare.

Undergrad School:Princeton University
Major/Minor: Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V: 163, Q:163, AW: 4.0
  • Volunteer @ nursing home (summer '12)
  • Volunteer @ local soup kitchen ('12-14)
  • Volunteer @ local animal shelter ('12-14)
  • Leadership position in public-health related organization/student club ('12-14)
  • Internship at Alumnicorps Project55 office, working on its public service program (summer '13)
  • Research experience-- 2 junior independent papers and an undergraduate thesis
Currently serving in Singapore as an international teaching fellow through Princeton in Asia's post-graduate fellowship program. (I also spent some time abroad in Panama my junior year)

Applying:
Starting to work on my application now-- my list is as follows:

MPH: Boston University, Columbia, Emory, UCBerkeley, UMichigan, WUSTL
DrPH: Harvard, Rutgers

Applying to Harvard for ****s and giggles because I think the probability of me getting in is fairly low, considering I have no full-time work experience in public health. Most of the MPH programs I'm applying for are either gonna be in Global Health or Social/Behavioral Health Sciences.

OMG I was totally thinking about applying for PiA this year! How do you like your experience in Singapore so far? Is it hard to work and apply for graduate school at the same time? (sorry this is kinda an off topic for this thread)

Undergrad School: a small state university (college of public health is CEPH-credited)
Undergrad GPA: 3.97
Major/Minor: Public Health (Health Service Administration concentration); dual minors in Business Management and Emergency/Disaster Response Management
GRE: V 160 Q 162 AW 3.5 (Taken 6/14/14) --- plan to retake the test again in October but not really expecting much improvement :(

Public Health Related:
- 2 months summer research experience in China for a CDC project on the nutrient needs of pregnant females.
- 2 months summer internship in New York City working with the undeserved Asian American immigrant population; conducted a large-scale community health project.
- Will have a 12-week field experience (as part of my UG program requirement) at the headquarters of an International Public Health NGO in summer 2015.
- Might be getting a school grant this fall to conduct a research project in spring 2015 on the topic of sexual violence on college campus.
- Exec board member of Public Health Student Association

Other experiences:
- 2 months summer internship at an international summer school in China.
- 1.5 year Resident Assistant on campus
- various leadership roles and extensive volunteer experience through school.

I do not have a strong research background or any full-time work experience in Public Health... not sure how bad that is gonna affect my application.

Planning to Apply: Emory (Global Health), Tulane (Global Health), Yale (Social and Behavioral Sciences - Global Health concentration), Columbia (Social and Behavioral Sciences), GW (Global Health - DME), UAB (Epi) --- still researching other programs at this moment.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

OMG I was totally thinking about applying for PiA this year! How do you like your experience in Singapore so far? Is it hard to work and apply for graduate school at the same time? (sorry this is kinda an off topic for this thread)

Haha!! That's so funny that you were looking into PiA :D Took a look at your stats and it seems like PiA would be a good fit for you. They're actually accepting applications soon -- if you're still interested in applying (instead of or in addition to a graduate program in public health), I'd totally be willing to talk to you about my experience if you'd like! Just send me a PM and we can discuss further-- I highly, highly recommend the fellowship and it's really been life-changing so far.

As for Singapore, it has been amazing so far and it's really grown on me in the last couple months that I've been here. I've also been able to travel a lot (just got back from Myanmar and am flying to Thailand in a couple days) so I'm really enjoying my time here. It is definitely hard to work and apply for graduate school at the same time but I'm determined so I'm gonna make it happen >:)