Moving your family for school

MysteryCat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-veterinary student, and my son will be about 3 when I begin vet school (assuming acceptance from my first app cycle.) We will have to move at least across state if not out of state and my husband will be hard pressed to find a job (no real formal training for much) in both towns that are reasonable for us. I think he can do it, but I worry. He has suggested me going a few months before them, and getting settled until he finds a job, but with a young child, that sounds horribly sad. What say you?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't move before him. In my opinion, if you move before him what's his incentive to get a job? Why not all three move as soon as possible (after acceptance/graduating with your undergrad)? Also, which vet schools are you applying to? Look into the economy of the local cities and towns. It will be easier to get jobs for him if you go to places where the economy is better vs. ones that have really struggled in the recession. For instance, I live in Iowa and Ames, Iowa is only 15 minutes away from where I live. Iowa State University has a great veterinary program and the state of Iowa was one of the least effected states in the recession.

I think the most of his incentive would be that I doubt he'll like being away from me for that long, especially with our son. I don't WANT to do it that way, but I suppose it's an option. I'm looking at WSU and OrSU. I will also apply at UC Davis and CSU, but those two are huge reaches for me. Also the IS tuition at WSU is favorable. It seems a little like a catch 22. The school is good, in state, lower tuition than some, but the economy isn't awesome and there isn't a lot to do (for them, I'm sure I won't be too bored!)