Moving to Texas- effect on AMCAS/ TMDAS Submission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack-Kennedy35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I graduated from UCLA in 2019 and have been in California for the vast majority of my life. However, my significant other is moving to Dallas for a new job and so we are planning on buying an apartment and moving together.

I haven’t yet applied to medical school, but will be doing so next year (2023). According to Texas guidelines, I need to live in Texas for 12 months to be considered a resident. Accordingly, we are planning to move in the 2nd week of July, so that would mean I would be a TX resident come next July.

My plan was to always submit AMCAS in June next year, at which point I would still be a California applicant. Is there any issue with me potentially waiting until July to submit TMDAS, at which point I’d be considered a Texas applicant? @gonnif @Goro @gonnif @Catalystik
@wysdoc
@KnightDoc
@LizzyM

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So, I graduated from UCLA in 2019 and have been in California for the vast majority of my life. However, my significant other is moving to Dallas for a new job and so we are planning on buying an apartment and moving together.

I haven’t yet applied to medical school, but will be doing so next year (2023). According to Texas guidelines, I need to live in Texas for 12 months to be considered a resident. Accordingly, we are planning to move in the 2nd week of July, so that would mean I would be a TX resident come next July.

My plan was to always submit AMCAS in June next year, at which point I would still be a California applicant. Is there any issue with me potentially waiting until July to submit TMDAS, at which point I’d be considered a Texas applicant? @gonnif @Goro @gonnif @Catalystik
@wysdoc
@KnightDoc
@LizzyM

Thanks
If you're competitive for TX schools, which like a high GPA, then go for that. Keeps you near your GF too

Hey guys,

@wysdoc
@KnightDoc
@LizzyM

Thanks
Second week of July this year, as in 2 weeks from now? If so, you will be fine. Otherwise, you'll be off by a full year, and will need to take another gap year in order to apply as a TX resident. TX is kind of strict, and requires you to have been a resident for a full year, not prior to matriculation, as in most states, or prior to when you submit, which is not the standard anywhere, but by their application deadline, which is November 1st.

As a result, you'll need to establish residency by 10/31/22 to have been a resident for a year prior to 11/1/23, the deadline for the 2023-24 cycle. Applying in June or July won't matter, since they are measuring the year from November.

Last edited: