Moving to Detroit - DMC - places to live

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peds2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to be an intern at CHM. - looking for apartments in the midtown - medical center or at least nearby there... Anyone who has lived in the area have any particular suggestions? So far heard about riverfront towers, the union, the park shelton...pros and cons of certain complexes?

Members don't see this ad.

I live in the Metro Detroit area. I have some friends at residency programs in Detroit and many live in the suburbs and commute, 20-30 minutes is pretty average for a drive. It's not a bad idea to live in Detroit and you can definitely find a nice place to live in Detroit, but just wanted to suggest that living in a suburb isn't a bad option. There are a lot of freeways to get you to DMC

Did you look into the Riverfront apartments? I matched at Ford myself and have been looking into those. Some of the suburbs seem really nice too: Royal Oak, Southfield, Ferndale. I think DMC residents may also be eligible for the Live Midtown benefits (although I'm not sure).

There is an apt complex right near Belle Isle called "River Terrace". It is less than a 10 minute drive from the DMC. The apartments are really nice, there is secured parking, and the walls are old-school plaster, so you can't hear your neighbors. Super cheap, too!