moving brains mets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RickyScott

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
pt presented with arm weakness. MRI showed several brain mets and patient was put on steroids. Planning CT w/contrast 2 days after steroid admission showed lesions had shifted due to improvement in edema.

1681834038986.png

1681834054307.png

1681833990550.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
ITV expansion… duh! ;)

• Haha
pt presented with arm weakness. MRI showed several brain mets and patient was put on steroids. Planning CT w/contrast 2 days after steroid admission showed lesions had shifted due to improvement in edema.

View attachment 369549

View attachment 369550

View attachment 369548
Good illustration of the importance of contrasted sim for these. I see a lot of noncon and MRI fusion. Given the cystic nature of the bigger one, could resim sans contrast prior to treatment and see if the holes match up.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of the big advantages of same day MRI for gamma knife.

I do linac and GK brain treatments.
I have made it a point to get MRI day of or day before SRS/SBRT for this very reason....We did an internal audit and the amount of change from day of diagnostic MRI when brain met discovered (most often without steroids) and with steroids days/weeks later can be DRAMATIC. some tumors even "shrink" , some shift around a lot.

In the post covid era MRI waits can be a huge PITA but I often do non diagnostic (ie no radiology read) thin cut axial T1+C scans that they'll add on the schedule for me because I'm a nice guy :). Admins put up with it because it's a no-charge scan but the linac and GK volume /revenue they're happy with so they acquiesce for now.

Good post @RickyScott .

Reactions: 1 users
Was a good paper in the red journal from when they published treatment related papers

Reactions: 2 users
head positioning during scans can make it look like things are in different position as well. I have noticed that more towards the vertex.

Reactions: 1 users
I try to stay under 7 days, but sooner is always better.

Reactions: 2 users
The issue here is not the time between mri and sim, but the steroids changing everything. This is a mim fusion, so nothing to do with postioning due to crappy fusion.

Sorry I was referring to Ray's paper. Very dramatic response to steroids, which is good to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing. I don't usually get contrast at sim, but maybe I should for larger mets.

Reactions: 1 user
For me SRS CT sim w/ contrast has always been “mandatory,” as has MRI (w contrast!) within 24-48h of treatment. And when there is an MRI vs CT lesional position discrepancy, the CT lesion position always has primacy.

Reactions: 4 users