Mount Sinai MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keren04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the MSTP program like at Mt Sinai? Are the grad school classes students have to take for the PhD a lot harder than the normal MD classes? I'm considering going to a new Masters Program that is 2 yrs and mimics the curriculum of the PhD program - you take the same classes in the first year as PhD students and work in a lab for 2 yrs. As someone who wants to go to med school, would it be worth it for me to do this program and then apply for med school? I got into med schools abroad that are very good but I'm not sure if I want to leave the US. Would this program help me get into a good med school in the US? And even if it does, is it worth the 2 yrs and the 2 yrs of tuition (~60 K)? I'd have to take it all out in loans.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Keren04 said:
What is the MSTP program like at Mt Sinai? Are the grad school classes students have to take for the PhD a lot harder than the normal MD classes?

I have a friend as a MD/PhD at Mt Sinai now. If I remember correctly what he told me, the MD/PhD students take a combination of MD and graduate coures. And if there's overlapping between these two, say embryology or cell/molecular bio, they often have to take the graduate classes (ie the hard-core ones). So basically, you are right.