General Admissions & OTCAS MOT OTD Texas Applicants 2019-2020 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I'm a Year 2 OT Student. I love helping out other Pre-OT and current OT students. Feel free to message me on my instagram or on here for any questions. I provide tips on student loans, studying, fieldwork, organizations, etc. My instagram is @ot.enlightenment :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from TWU lately?

No.. I called last week to check if the waitlist is still moving and they said there is several offers out right now and that the waitlist is still moving. Staying hopeful!!

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed with Texas Tech on January 17th and heard back today!

Reactions: 1 users
I got an acceptance to ACU today.Totally in the same boat as you. Did you decide where you are attending?
Congratulations! I declined my acceptance to ACU. I have accepted one offer, but I still have a few more applications lingering.

Reactions: 1 user
Incase anyone was wondering, I called UTHSCSA yesterday and they said all spots for the OTD program have been filled.

I’ve been silently creeping on this thread after I interview at Texas Tech on January 17th. I just received an email today saying I was placed on the alternate list. Anyone know how many people have for sure accepted their acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, nothing yet. I even checked spam and junk mail to be sure.
hmmm well maybe they just sent out the alternate emails. they put me as an alternate, which I’m declining because i got into my first choice UTHSCSA but yea maybe they’re slowly sending them out!

I was waitlisted for TWU Dallas and UTMB, and I was so discouraged that I literally started looking at other careers I could get into. but last week (feb 13th) I was taken off the waitlist for both!! I'll be declining the spot at TWU so best of luck to anyone still waiting on them! if you're still waiting to hear back from schools, DON'T LOSE HOPE!

Reactions: 11 users
I was waitlisted for TWU Dallas and UTMB, and I was so discouraged that I literally started looking at other careers I could get into. but last week (feb 13th) I was taken off the waitlist for both!! I'll be declining the spot at TWU so best of luck to anyone still waiting on them! if you're still waiting to hear back from schools, DON'T LOSE HOPE!

oh man haha I literally did that same thing last year... looking into other careers thinking this was the end of the road. Then I got in this year too!
Congratulations on getting in,you absolutely deserve it!
And for everyone else still waiting, struggling or second guessing, don’t lose hope!

Congratulations! I declined my acceptance to ACU. I have accepted one offer, but I still have a few more applications lingering.
I will be declining my acceptance too. Good Luck on your other applications :)

When did you receive your acceptance? I am still patiently waiting to hear anything and am starting to worry :confused:
I was notified on the 13th of this month. I will be declining today, hopefully that means a spot will become available :). Don't give up hope yet!

I had an interview 1/24 at texas tech and got alternate position last Friday. I also got an acceptance from ACU on Jan 8.
Anyone got off from the waitlist for tech?

I had an interview 1/24 at texas tech and got alternate position last Friday. I also got an acceptance from ACU on Jan 8.
Anyone got off from the waitlist for tech?
Congrats on your acceptance! I was just wondering when you applied? I’ve been waiting to hear back for a while now

Congrats on your acceptance! I was just wondering when you applied? I’ve been waiting to hear back for a while now
Thank you!
I applied for both school on Sep! Hope you hear good news soon :)

It’d be nice if everyone maybe shared their prospective schools Facebook groups again! I already know a few of cohort members have left the group and gone to other schools. So if you’re an admin that made the group for a Texas school, please share the links again :)

For those who are still waiting to hear from ACU the program director is still in the process of reviewing applications. The class has not been filled up yet. I was told that they'll send out emails at the end of March to confirm when the class is filled. They still accept students into the program up to the first day or week of classes because they want the class filled. They will take people off the waitlist all the way into August.

Reactions: 3 users
It’d be nice if everyone maybe shared their prospective schools Facebook groups again! I already know a few of cohort members have left the group and gone to other schools. So if you’re an admin that made the group for a Texas school, please share the links again :)

Log into Facebook | Facebook Here is the Facebook group for TTU. The link should direct you to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who are still waiting to hear from ACU the program director is still in the process of reviewing applications. The class has not been filled up yet. I was told that they'll send out emails at the end of March to confirm when the class is filled. They still accept students into the program up to the first day or week of classes because they want the class filled. They will take people off the waitlist all the way into August.
Thank you for this information! Appreciate it :]

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for UTMB?
I don't think there is one - someone told me that the current first year OT students will create one for us but I'm not sure if that's still happening

I got off the waitlist as well! But my email said that I must approve my acceptance of admissions by February 12th, but I got the email today, February 13th, at noon. Did you run into the same problem by chance? I’ve been trying to contact the UTMB OT admissions all day and left a voicemail but haven’t heard back!
Hey so when I originally wanted to accept I had trouble with myStar but I called the IS help desk and they said it was down that day. As long as you submitted the acceptance form you should be okay. But I would keep checking MyStar to formally accept that way you pay your deposit and hold your spot.

A spot should be opening at Texas Tech - I declined last night.

Just got rejected from Tech. Posting my stats so maybe someone can tell me what I should fix for next cycle. I thought I had pretty good stats, but I don't know if my interview was what was off. Please feel free to leave any advice you have for me.

University: University of Texas at Austin
Major: Applied Movement Science
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 141 quant, 149 verbal, 4 W -- I know these scores are below average!! :(

Extra-Currie:
member of multiple organizations
served as leader and chairs to 3 separate orgs
lots of outside volunteering with community!!!
probably around 180 hours

Volunteer:
80 Adult Inpatient
26 Adult Outpatient
18 Pediatric Outpatient

Total: 124 hours

LOR: 2 OT, 2 professors

I felt like I did good on my personal essay? I had people review it and went to the writing center to get help.

Applied: TWU, UTMB, Tech, St. Augustine, and ACU

Interviews: UTMB, Tech, St. Agustine

Acceptances: ACU

Rejections: TWU, Tech

Waitlisted: UTMB

Just got rejected from Tech. Posting my stats so maybe someone can tell me what I should fix for next cycle. I thought I had pretty good stats, but I don't know if my interview was what was off. Please feel free to leave any advice you have for me.

Extra-Currie:

Volunteer:
80 Adult Inpatient
26 Adult Outpatient
18 Pediatric Outpatient

I felt like I did good on my personal essay? I had people review it and went to the writing center to get help.

I also go to UT! :) Good thing about Tech is that they don't require the GRE, but I know the other schools do. If you end up reapplying, I would probably take the GRE again and maybe find a job related to OT/medical field?

Extra-Currie:

Volunteer:
80 Adult Inpatient
26 Adult Outpatient
18 Pediatric Outpatient

Honestly your stats look pretty solid. Your GPA is great, you have a good amount of shadowing hours and volunteering, and it seems like you were very involved in orgs. You could take the GRE again but honestly I wouldn't worry so much about it - I know people who got the same or lower scores as you did and still got accepted. Maybe consider doing more shadowing in settings you haven't done before - I went to UT so I could recommend some different settings than what you have if you're interested. Also, maybe practice interviewing more? I really can't tell what you could improve on from these stats because they look great! I've heard that OT schools appreciate people who apply again because it shows dedication - you can always use the experience of not getting in as a talking point in interviews about how you overcame adversity, how you just kept trying, etc. I would also recommend having friends or people who have been accepted to OT school read your personal statement - the writing center will help you in a general way but might not know exactly what OT schools are looking for. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Extra-Currie:

Volunteer:
80 Adult Inpatient
26 Adult Outpatient
18 Pediatric Outpatient

Overall your stats look really good! As an OT student, I recommend you show that you remained active from here until you apply again because they will ask how you have improved since the last cycle. Try doing more observational hours in settings you have not seen to show you have experience with a little bit of everything such as a nursing home, school, hospital, and clinics. You can try doing observations that will make you stand out such as observing an OT who is specialized in hand therapy, OT driving simulation, one who works in a NICU or at a clinic specialized for Autism. Keep doing volunteering out in the community every now and then. Doing volunteering that can somehow relate to OT such as kinetic kids or special olympics could help. I would not even worry about retaking the GRE. I had low scores and that didn’t keep me from getting in. Work on strengthening your application in other ways. I know the application is super lengthy, but provide lots of details in the questions they ask so they can get to know more about you.You want to stand out. Something you can try if you have not done so is getting CPR certified just to add to your certifications (you’ll need it for school anyways). Lastly, keep working on your personal statement and if you can get an OT to give you feedback, that’d be great!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Overall your stats look really good! As an OT student, I recommend you show that you remained active from here until you apply again because they will ask how you have improved since the last cycle. Try doing more observational hours in settings you have not seen to show you have experience with a little bit of everything such as a nursing home, school, hospital, and clinics. You can try doing observations that will make you stand out such as observing an OT who is specialized in hand therapy, OT driving simulation, one who works in a NICU or at a clinic specialized for Autism. Keep doing volunteering out in the community every now and then. Doing volunteering that can somehow relate to OT such as kinetic kids or special olympics could help. I would not even worry about retaking the GRE. I had low scores and that didn’t keep me from getting in. Work on strengthening your application in other ways. I know the application is super lengthy, but provide lots of details in the questions they ask so they can get to know more about you.You want to stand out. Something you can try if you have not done so is getting CPR certified just to add to your certifications (you’ll need it for school anyways). Lastly, keep working on your personal statement and if you can get an OT to give you feedback, that’d be great!

I had a question since you’re a current OT student. What happens if you become pregnant during the program? I really hadn’t planned on really trying towards the end of graduation date, but wanted another opinion. Do they allow you to be pregnant during school?

I had a question since you’re a current OT student. What happens if you become pregnant during the program? I really hadn’t planned on really trying towards the end of graduation date, but wanted another opinion. Do they allow you to be pregnant during school?

I’m sure every university has their own way of handling pregnancy. To be honest, I am not quite sure what are the procedures because the question has not been raised between my class and the year before us. Pregnancy is not something we can control at all times whether it was planned or not; professors understand how it is something natural that may occur. I would say it depends by case. Some may need to be out of school after pregnancy longer than others. If leave is something short term, maybe the professors would work with you and allow you to miss if it is an amount of time that they can catch you up once you are back. Worse case scenario is if you have to be out for a long period of time, medical leave is an option, so I am not sure if this will fall under it. You can sit out that semester and come back to school after a year to join the class that comes after you once they are enrolled in the semester of the courses you need. Sorry I do not have a definite answer for you, but I would suggest you ask your school how the situation gets handled to be well informed as rules may vary throughout programs.

Anyway to know how many spots are still open at Texas Tech?

I also go to UT! :) Good thing about Tech is that they don't require the GRE, but I know the other schools do. If you end up reapplying, I would probably take the GRE again and maybe find a job related to OT/medical field?
thanks so much for the feedback!!

Honestly your stats look pretty solid. Your GPA is great, you have a good amount of shadowing hours and volunteering, and it seems like you were very involved in orgs. You could take the GRE again but honestly I wouldn't worry so much about it - I know people who got the same or lower scores as you did and still got accepted. Maybe consider doing more shadowing in settings you haven't done before - I went to UT so I could recommend some different settings than what you have if you're interested. Also, maybe practice interviewing more? I really can't tell what you could improve on from these stats because they look great! I've heard that OT schools appreciate people who apply again because it shows dedication - you can always use the experience of not getting in as a talking point in interviews about how you overcame adversity, how you just kept trying, etc. I would also recommend having friends or people who have been accepted to OT school read your personal statement - the writing center will help you in a general way but might not know exactly what OT schools are looking for. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!
thank you so much!! I really appreciate all your feedback

wow thank you! definitely will be looking into volunteering/shadowing and work on my essay!

Has anyone else not heard back from ACU yet? They mentioned that applicants are usually contacted about their admissions decision in February but it is now March and I have yet to hear anything. :confused:

Has anyone got off the waitlist for TWU lately?

Has anyone else not heard back from ACU yet? They mentioned that applicants are usually contacted about their admissions decision in February but it is now March and I have yet to hear anything. :confused:
I am still waiting to hear anything back from them too, regardless if it will be a yes, no, or maybe. Hopefully we will hear something sooner rather than later. Good luck!

I am waiting to hear back as well! They called me last week asking if I had any questions and just informed me that they are still reviewing applications at least for the next couple of weeks! Good luck to you!