Most recognised degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicuk

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a student from the Uk doing a degree next year in London.

I would greatly appreciate if you would tell me which of these degrees would be the most recognised in the US?

which uni is most recognised out of University College London, Kings College London (Guy's King's & St. Thomas), or Imperial College?

Thankyou

Members don't see this ad.

medicuk said:
Hi

I would greatly appreciate if you would tell me which of these degrees would be the most recognised in the US?

which uni is most recognised out of University College London, Kings College London (Guy's King's & St. Thomas), or Imperial College?

Thankyou

If you are interested in getting a US residency then you need to make sure the school is ECFMG certified. If they are this will allow you to take the USMLE and later obtain a residency. www.ecfmg.org should provide you with most of the information that you need.

All of the schools you mention are very well regarded, both in the UK and the US. And all of them are fully accredited in the US and ECFMG certified, so you really can't go wrong with any of them.
There's quite a few from Guy's and St. Thomas on the Harvard faculty, for instance.

Personally, my ranking (both from a UK and a US perspective) would be:
1. Imperial (probably one of the best in the world in basic sciences)
2. Kings
3. Univ Coll

Members don't see this ad :)
medicuk said:
Hi

Thankyou

jgl1980 said:
If you are interested in getting a US residency then you need to make sure the school is ECFMG certified. If they are this will allow you to take the USMLE and later obtain a residency. www.ecfmg.org should provide you with most of the information that you need.

:) :) :)

(I know jgl1980 was just being helplful and that's very cool but it's still kinda funny)

brightblueeyes said:
:) :) :)

(I know jgl1980 was just being helplful and that's very cool but it's still kinda funny)

heheheeheh
ooooppps :cool: :laugh: ;)

Normally I am rather loathe to play the semantics police, but there is such rampant misuse of the following terms I feel I have to.

ECFMG does NOT certify anyone but individuals. It is not involved in "certifying", accrediting or any other measure of quality of medical schools. They will even tell you this on their website. For an individual to obtain ECFMG certification, they must attend a WHO recognized school, but even this is not a measure of quality, only that the school meets certain requirements (usually recognized by the home country's Ministry of Health, is chartered there, etc.).

The only schools accredited in the US are those accredited by the LCME (Liason Committee on Medical Education). The LCME only accredits US and Canadian schools; no school outside of these receives any US accreditation, from LCME or otherwise.

Do not mistake the above to mean that any of the schools you've listed are not well recognized or are of sub-par quality. I just feel it important to clarify some of the common misconceptions or misuse of the words certification and accreditation.

Yes, poor wording on my part. The UK does, however, have an accreditation for med schools. (Well, actually it's a law which states the approved schools, so perhaps accreditation isn't the right word - General Medical Council recognition then). All of the schools mentioned are on the list.
http://www.chms.ac.uk/fschlweb.html

They are also appoved by California and Texas. Still, you'd obviously need to pass the USMLE and get approved by state medical boards to get a license.