most prestigeous year-long fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eklope2000

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which year-long research fellowships (that would be available for a medical student who finished his third year) are considered to be the most prestigious?

Members don't see this ad.

eklope2000 said:
Which year-long research fellowships (that would be available for a medical student who finished his third year) are considered to be the most prestigeous?

I'd say HHMI, NIH-CRTP, Doris Duke, or Sarnaff. I think any of these would be considered extremely prestigeous in that they are all insanely competitive to get into. In addition, if you plan on taking a year off to do research, I would hope your catalyst is more than just because it is prestigeous.

Members don't see this ad :)
sophiejane said:
You will all appear more intelligent if you spell "prestigious" correctly. That might be a good place to start. :)

Hehe, sorry about that :)

To the other poster, I am primarily interested in these programs because I enjoy research and want the opportunity to commit a substantial amount of time toward a project. But as we all know big names and prestige are nice to have as well.

So any more suggestions?

sophiejane said:
You will all appear more intelligent if you spell "prestigious" correctly. That might be a good place to start. :)

Sorry, I didn't know medical school was a spelling bee, but if it makes you feel better by pointing that out then you go right ahead ok. :rolleyes:

I'd agree with the above poster that the most prestigious research fellowships are HHMI-NIH Cloister, NIH CRTP, Doris Duke, and Sarnoff. Perhaps even in that order? Even more than the fellowship prestige, I think that what you accomplish in your year off is what is important. It probably doesn't say much if you spend a year at the most prestigious fellowship (whichever it may be) and don't really accomplish anything. But again, I can't speak from experience since I haven't done any of the programs. Perhaps some alumni of different research fellowships could chime in with their thoughts?