Most Competitive Transitional Year Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

familyman4ever

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about, (or have heard much about), which transitional year programs are the most competitive? Which are the least? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know much about, (or have heard much about), which transitional year programs are the most competitive? Which are the least? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
North Dakota, South Dakota, Michigan, Virginia, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Kentucky, Indiana, West Virginia, North Carolina

I know that is quite a few, but if you know anything about any programs in these locations, please tell me!

North Dakota, South Dakota, Michigan, Virginia, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Kentucky, Indiana, West Virginia, North Carolina

I know that is quite a few, but if you know anything about any programs in these locations, please tell me!

There are no competitive TY in those boring ass states. jk!

Theres Carilion TY in Roanoke, VA.

Do a search for TYs on SDN. There are a TON of threads on them, esp in the ophtho forum.

TY year in South Dakota is very good. 4 blocks inpatient medicine (only 1 month call at VA q 4). 1 block ER, 1 block ambulatory clinic. 7 elective blocks. Great all around experience, good salary, full benefits. I learned alot, was only on call 1 month the entire year, and had lots of free time to spend with family.

How many of these programs do you typically apply to if you're applying to another advanced program like ophtho?

5? 10?

Lazy bums :)

What's the difference between an anesthesiologist and a urologist in the OR?

The urologist plays with someone elses balls, the anesthesiologist...:D

How many of these programs do you typically apply to if you're applying to another advanced program like ophtho?

5? 10?

It all depends on location and competitiveness of the TY's. Remember, some of these programs are just as competitive as landing ophtho, rads, etc.

But in general I'd say at least 5 but no more than around 10. If you get tired of interviewing, you could always cancel interviews later in the application cycle but if you only apply to 3 and get 1-2 TY interviews you're taking a huge risk. AVOID THE SCRAMBLE AT ALL COSTS!

Oh, I'd throw in a couple of cush prelim medicine years in there too just as a safety net.

G'luck.

how are the TY proga in Ohio? any info re workload?