Most common procedures in Optho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radslooking

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody care to comment on the most common procedures Ophthos do? And their relative contribution to an Ophtho's compensation

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody care to comment on the most common procedures Ophthos do? And their relative contribution to an Ophtho's compensation

By procedure--meaning a surgical procedure, if you look at national stats, cataract extraction with intraocular lens implant is by far the most commonly done. Nothing else even comes close. It is the most commonly performed major surgery done in the USA among not just ophthalmologists but among all surgeons, by a large margin.

And yes, Medicare payment reduction for this procedure has affected incomes of general ophthalmologists significantly. Presently, Medicare pays less in actual numbers of dollars than it did when Part B was established in 1967. That amounts to more than an 86% fee reduction if calculated in constant dollars, and for a vastly superior operation with much better outcomes.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you conceive a highly-successful operation, then prepare to make less money on it!

I blame the eye docs who advertise their "5-minute no stitch/no-patch" cataract surgery -- Congress took notice!

-J

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, thats really interesting. I have a hard time figuring these things out from googling or whatever, real world opinions are helpful. What other common ones are there?