more on hit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ollaguna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let say it's someone who doesn't need long term anticoagulation; the patient was given heparin for DVT prophylaxis after surgery, developed thrombocytopenia, and soon develops a cold hand or something; Heprin is DC'd; Accoring to Marino you start coumadin and Dextran-40 (the argatroban website says nothing about coumadin); So I anticoag the pt to 1.5 - 2; How do I know when to DC the argatroban or coumadin? Patient doesn't stay on it indefinetly do they?

Members don't see this ad.

Oral anticoagulation for 3 months in the situation you describe, depending on the site and extent of DVT. If they embolize while on therapeutic treatment, then assess them for an IVC filter.

There are other commercial agents you'd give when you had to hold the heparin during the acute phase rather then Dextran in 2003. I only saw a scenario you described once or twice during my residency, I think one of them is Hirudin(?) which is made from a protein that leaches secrete I think

You do use a hirudin-based anti-coagulant for HIT patients. I forget the name . . .

Come on, Ollie, as a new plastico you should be the leech master!! :laugh: