Has anyone failed the ABTS oral exam more than twice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Angriest Bird

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was ABS-certified, passed written and oral on first tries. For the thoracic surgery in-train exams, I scored 82% and 92% (2-year fellowship program). Passed written exam on first try in December 2017.

After I took my thoracic oral exam in June 2018, I thought I aced it and was waiting for the good news. Big surprise: I failed. After studying hardcore for one year, I just took it last week in Chicago.

Again, I feel that I did very well. I did take the Osler course prior, and the mock oral examiners gave me very positive feedbacks. Right now I'm seriously losing sleep on this thing, still experiencing PTSD from the failed attempt from last year.

I want to ask if anyone knows or has heard about anyone who has failed the oral exam more than twice. This unpredictable nature of this exam is making me lose so many neurons.

Members don't see this ad.

I was ABS-certified, passed written and oral on first tries. For the thoracic surgery in-train exams, I scored 82% and 92% (2-year fellowship program). Passed written exam on first try in December 2017.

After I took my thoracic oral exam in June 2018, I thought I aced it and was waiting for the good news. Big surprise: I failed. After studying hardcore for one year, I just took it last week in Chicago.

Again, I feel that I did very well. I did take the Osler course prior, and the mock oral examiners gave me very positive feedbacks. Right now I'm seriously losing sleep on this thing, still experiencing PTSD from the failed attempt from last year.

I want to ask if anyone knows or has heard about anyone who has failed the oral exam more than twice. This unpredictable nature of this exam is making me lose so many neurons.

Of course there have been some that failed twice on the oral exam. You don't know that you failed it, though. If you did, you do get one more try. Which part, do you feel, is giving you trouble?

I will get the result in 1-2 weeks. In fact, I feel that I did very well. I guess I am still trying to recover from the trauma from last year's failed attempt.

Reactions: 1 user