Moonlighting as a Pathology Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greg.house1408

They call me House.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience in moonlighting during Path residency? I have two opportunities that are opening up for moonlighting, one internal and one external. The internal opportunity would be performing additional autopsies for the attendings at our academic hospital practice (proposed compensation would be 80% of professional fee). The external opportunity is performing disability exams for the state on weekends.

I imagine both would be fairly lucrative in comparison to resident salary, but did anyone run into problems with either format of moonlighting?

Members don't see this ad.

I did insurance physicals when I was a gp for two years in south carolina in the navy back in the 70’s. It was not always convenient but it was like being given money for sleep walking.

Reactions: 1 user
I used to get paid $125/hr to drop GI bx into cassettes during residency/fellowship. Super difficult work.

I used to get paid $125/hr to drop GI bx into cassettes during residency/fellowship. Super difficult work.
!!! This is more than locums in my area! I would have to do this during residency/fellowship as part of regular grossing - and then during my first job because they were too cheap to get a tech.