Pathology resident suicide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathres9999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have learned of a residency program from an IM friend in Missouri that a pathology resident committed suicide earlier this year. I haven’t heard any other news about it but I thought I would share since it has been so silent. From what I understand it sounds like the resident went to a malignant place.

Mental health is so important and so under appreciated. Make sure you take care of your self.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have learned of a residency program from an IM friend in Missouri that a pathology resident committed suicide earlier this year. I haven’t heard any other news about it but I thought I would share since it has been so silent. From what I understand it sounds like the resident went to a malignant place.

Mental health is so important and so under appreciated. Make sure you take care of your self.

Residency can be a tough place especially if you have malignant and dysfunctional attendings. They have power over you (and they know it) and I worked with an attending who probably could’ve been sued for harassment.

Especially with all the emphasis on harassment in the workplace nowadays it’s unfortunate this stuff still happens. Long hours, stress plus hostile workplace can really drive people over the edge.

Really important for residents to make sure they stay away from these programs. It can really make your life miserable.

RIP

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
This is one of the reasons i thank god for the military. we didn’t have any malignant crap. we even had residents who out ranked staff. The attitude in the military was that rank among physicians is like rank among ******.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of the reasons i thank god for the military. we didn’t have any malignant crap. we even had residents who out ranked staff. The attitude in the military was that rank among physicians is like rank among ******.

looks like the pc police got me. The reference was apropos, non- salacious, has often been considered humorous without racial or gender considerations in this specific context, and referred to the worlds oldest profession.

Maybe folks can now deal with this outrageous gaffe.

Reactions: 1 user
Good talking with y’all over the years. But, time to go when the PC crowd can’t deal with the word *****. Unsubscribed.

Good talking with y’all over the years. But, time to go when the PC crowd can’t deal with the word *****. Unsubscribed.
I hope you change your mind. If not, I wish you many happy days enjoying the sun and sand at Islamorada!

To clarify, since this is a public forum for professionals, SDN uses an automated profanity filter to automatically star out certain words, including the one used above.

To clarify, since this is a public forum for professionals, SDN uses an automated profanity filter to automatically star out certain words, including the one used above.
True… I once on a forum after 9/11 used a certain word for the part of the plane where the pilot and co-pilot control the plane, and the profanity filter changed my word to “thingypit”. I complained but was told it was an automatic thing. Imagine having to write “c@ckpit” on a forum dedicated to the aftermath of 9/11.