“Modern” Dreads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbio2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve looked at a few forums but would like adcom advice on a hairstyle for a black male. My hair naturally coils, so while they are not true dreadlocks, they look pretty similar to the picture below; just shorter.

At this point, I’m considering going all in, just because it’s a lot easier to manage, but I’m worried about negative perceptions at medical shook interviews, clerkships, residency, etc. So is it professional enough (ignore the beard and earring haha)?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• C7C4E9B3-5C10-498D-8C7F-C9A7554ECB2E.jpeg
    C7C4E9B3-5C10-498D-8C7F-C9A7554ECB2E.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Zaddyyyyy :love:

I think it’ll make others think you’re unkempt and maybe intimidating. Butttt, they’re probably think that either way in some capacity sooooo. . . I say it’s up to you.

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly although I like this look and think it is perfectly ok I think most ADCOMS have no idea about the myriads of black hairstyles and will just automatically make negative assumptions. The look is risky I would not do it

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I used to have dreads and I'd personally would cut them prior to any interview OR put them in a neat style. When I had dreads, I got some nasty looks (I was in the ugly stage).. But your safest bet is to cut them to avoid being negatively judged by the ADCOMS.

The predominantly ORM ADCOMS give in to the very same racial biases that they aim to avoid in their selections. My advice, unfortunately, would be to ditch the dreads for interviews and then grow them out once you are matriculated.

Reactions: 5 users
Shorter is better than that picture but I don’t find that hair to be problematic

I wouldn't have a problem with it and I doubt most adcoms would, but the terrible thing is not knowing

Reactions: 4 users
I like the style and have known Black medical students, residents and attendings with dreads. I'd have no issue as long as you don't look like you just rolled out of bed.

But bias is a reality. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi,

I’ve looked at a few forums but would like adcom advise on a hairstyle for a black male. My hair naturally coils, so while they are not true dreadlocks, they look pretty similar to the picture below; just shorter.

At this point, I’m considering going all in, just because it’s a lot easier to manage, but I’m worried about negative perceptions at medical shook interviews, clerkships, residency, etc. So is it professional enough (ignore the beard and earring haha)?
It's a professional setting, so no, don't go there.

It's a professional setting, so no, don't go there.
Not that there is anything inherently unprofessional with traditionally black hairstyles. However, the ADCOMS will have a bias towards what looks “professional” and, for men, that is historically shortish and ‘managed.’

I saw this same thing for black females in the army - being told to wear their hair in a bun when their hair physically cannot curl in to a bun or it would take hours of management. They just had to shave it down to 4 inches rather than deal with sergeants telling them to do something they are unable to do.

Reactions: 10 users
I encountered several black men and women on the interview trail, many of them who had coiled hair/dread-like hair. The women had their hair neatly pinned back and the men had their hair neatly styled. While shorter=more professional for just about any type of men's hair, I think the big key lies in how you style it.

Also, take note of the school you're applying to and the region it's in. If they have a very small population of URMs, maybe be a little more cautious. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your advice. To be safe, I’ll probably just stay away from dreads.

So I guess my last question is are coils on the same level as dreads? My hair looks approximately like the picture below, again just a little shorter.

Attachments

• A7B58203-5D67-470F-9116-E715C94D8269.jpeg
    A7B58203-5D67-470F-9116-E715C94D8269.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Thank you all for your advise. To be safe, I’ll probably just stay away from dreads.

So I guess my last question is are coils on the same level as dreads? My hair looks approximately like the picture below, just a little shorter.
That exact look, mostly shaved on the sides and coils on top, will be perfect if the coils are about half the length/all the same length. You will comply within the "professional" window, but also be able to express your African American style. Thats a solid, go for that and good luck in your interviews! (even if they are in the future).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I’ve looked at a few forums but would like adcom advice on a hairstyle for a black male. My hair naturally coils, so while they are not true dreadlocks, they look pretty similar to the picture below; just shorter.

Keep it short and neat during the interview trail. Then grow it out after you matriculate.

Reactions: 2 users
The issue is not dreadlocks, it's about professionalism. You can have straight hair but you wouldn't show up to an interview without combing said straight hair. Same with dreads, just keep them "neat" if that makes sense. I think one of the users above me said pretty much the exact same thing.

There was an ER physician at the hospital I worked at that had dreads. He looked more like Paul Taylor and not like Coolio. Remember Coolio Gangsta's Paradise lol? Yeah, don't look like Coolio and try to say you're being you.

I've had neat hair similar in length to the 2nd picture OP posted and it has not hindered my path to acceptances whatsoever.

In fact, admissions staff at a couple of my medical school interviews complimented both my hair and professional wear :thumbup:

We have both medical students and residents at my T20 institution with exactly the second version you posted. It is most of all important that you feel confident and comfortable on the interview trail, but objectively, this works in the part of the country where I reside (with the greatest concentration of medical schools and residencies).

Excellent!

Thank you all for your time and input, I truly appreciate it!

Plot twist, pictures are actually OP

I used to have dreads and I'd personally would cut them prior to any interview OR put them in a neat style. When I had dreads, I got some nasty looks (I was in the ugly stage).. But your safest bet is to cut them to avoid being negatively judged by the ADCOMS.
Yeah, I disagree. Don’t get rid of your dreads for anybody. Chances are, if you’re rejected off of that alone, you were better off without that school to begin with.

Yeah, I disagree. Don’t get rid of your dreads for anybody. Chances are, if you’re rejected off of that alone, you were better off without that school to begin with.
Unless you get no schools

The thought process behind this comment is wrong.
There is a drastically different opportunity cost to your hairstyle expression if the choices are

A) school that likes my personal expression or one that doesn’t
Or
B) school that likes my personal expression or no schools

The argument about schools being right or wrong here doesn’t change the equation

There is a drastically different opportunity cost to your hairstyle expression if the choices are

Or

The argument about schools being right or wrong here doesn’t change the equation

I was talking about YOUR thought process.

Spell it out for us, what specifically is your concern

This reminds me of the pink hair thread enough that I’m going to stay away. I’d be careful taking the bait he’s dangling here if I were you.

Spell it out for us, what specifically is your concern

My concern? It's HIS HAIR man lol.

There was a story in the news recently at least here in the Northeast where a HS wrestler was forced to cut his dreads by a referee with an apparent racist past and it did not go down well with the public.

You don't tell black people how to style their hair. That is my concern with your comment. If the OP wants to style his hair whichever way he pleases, that is his call. My guess is that if he is applying to medical school, he's not coming in looking like Coolio. You remember Coolio? Yeah, I don't think that's what he means when he is asking about dreads.

Google an image of the jazz saxophonist Paul Taylor. Do you approve?

Reactions: 6 users
My concern? It's HIS HAIR man lol.

There was a story in the news recently at least here in the Northeast where a HS wrestler was forced to cut his dreads by a referee with an apparent racist past and it did not go down well with the public.

You don't tell black people how to style their hair. That is my concern with your comment. If the OP wants to style his hair whichever way he pleases, that is his call. My guess is that if he is applying to medical school, he's not coming in looking like Coolio. You remember Coolio? Yeah, I don't think that's what he means when he is asking about dreads.

Google an image of the jazz saxophonist Paul Taylor. Do you approve?
Take a deep breath

I said I had no problem with the hair. And the OP specifically was asking people about how to style their hair, so I answered their question

It feels like you are transferring some emotions from other situations into something that wasn’t said here

Or

This is your last post.

This is your last post.
Exactly. Which doesn’t in any way change that I don’t have any problem with their hair. I’m pointing out that some people do have a problem with some hair and there is a risk to the advice they got about proudly not wanting any school that didn’t like their hair.

I’d say it’s fine to proudly not want a school who hated your hair if you have another acceptance. If it was your only acceptance the cost of that pride is significantly higher and you have to weigh the cost of pride in some situations in life.

Accurately assessing risk doesn’t mean I agree the risk is fair. OP knows that or they wouldn’t be trying to accurately assess risk. There is a lot of “play the game” in medicine

Exactly. Which doesn’t in any way change that I don’t have any problem with their hair. I’m pointing out that some people do have a problem with some hair and there is a risk to the advice they got about proudly not wanting any school that didn’t like their hair.

I’d say it’s fine to proudly not want a school who hated your hair if you have another acceptance. If it was your only acceptance the cost of that pride is significantly higher and you have to weigh the cost of pride in some situations in life.

Accurately assessing risk doesn’t mean I agree the risk is fair. OP knows that or they wouldn’t be trying to accurately assess risk. There is a lot of “play the game” in medicine

You’re suggesting the OP will face discrimination during the admissions process because of his hair?

What is your stance then on turbans and hijabs?

Last edited:
You’re suggesting the OP will face discrimination during the admissions process because of his hair?

What is your stance then on turbans and hijabs then?
I'm stating, not advocating for, that the world is a discriminatory place and sometimes wardrobe/hairstyle can result in discrimination against an applicant. As someone trying to help the applicant, my advice it to recognize that, mitigate risk, and then be part of that not happening to the next generation.

Recognizing flaws in a system do not at all imply justification.

I would keep it only if you feel good in it, being an AA male, we both know when u got the cut nobody is as confident as you are. There were many black interviewees at many of my interviews that rocked this.

If I were u, i'd trim the tips if they're that long (or braid it!) and make sure the sides are faded well. Goodluck G

I'm stating, not advocating for, that the world is a discriminatory place and sometimes wardrobe/hairstyle can result in discrimination against an applicant. As someone trying to help the applicant, my advice it to recognize that, mitigate risk, and then be part of that not happening to the next generation.

Recognizing flaws in a system do not at all imply justification.

@sb247, This is 2019, not 1965. Even then I don’t think the OP or anybody for that matter is that out of touch. We have something called anti discriminatory laws in place that make what you are implying ILLEGAL. You can discriminate SOCIALLY as you wish but if it is found that a qualified applicant was denied admission to a professional school because of his/her hair, well that puts a school in a sticky spot and I’m sure no school wants any bad publicity. Especially when it comes to something as trivial as ethnic hair. Just look at how EVMS had to scramble and save face and create a brand new committee to prevent further blunders like their yearbook scandal. No school wants a pop up on their website saying “we are working to fix discriminatory policy.”

I know where you’re going but the OP is not running for the Republican nomination. This is a different crowd that he is trying to impress; if that makes sense. You probably think OP is straight outta Compton and has spinner wheels. I don’t think that’s the image he was trying to portray. There is a lot in between that image and an African American medical school applicant who happens to have dreads. BTW hair is not wardrobe. If you’re thinking OP has to show up to an interview looking like Wayne Brady, I would question how familiar you are with the admissions process as it exists today or all of America for that matter.

Let's remember, a med school interview is a professional interview. Grooming, hygiene, professional dress, are all noted. The choice on how a candidate presents themselves is a window into their mind and speaks to the choices they make. So , tribal tattoos on the face? Leaving the tongue stud in place? Not bathing? Wearing jeans and no socks? Shoulder length dreads not washed in a year? Maybe not disqualifying by themselves, but it does make one question the applicants judgement. We do evaluate applicants in this area. My advice is to be clean, well groomed, dress professionally, and cover the ink. You are going to be a consultant someday and you want people to take you seriously and trust you. If patients note you dont make good choices on how you present yourself, how do you expect them to trust your judgement on how to treat them? Why lose easy points during the interview? Mitigate the risk, it's the moment you have worked for years to be in.

Let's remember, a med school interview is a professional interview. Grooming, hygiene, professional dress, are all noted. The choice on how a candidate presents themselves is a window into their mind and speaks to the choices they make. So , tribal tattoos on the face? Leaving the tongue stud in place? Not bathing? Wearing jeans and no socks? Shoulder length dreads not washed in a year? Maybe not disqualifying by themselves, but it does make one question the applicants judgement. We do evaluate applicants in this area. My advice is to be clean, well groomed, dress professionally, and cover the ink. You are going to be a consultant someday and you want people to take you seriously and trust you. If patients note you dont make good choices on how you present yourself, how do you expect them to trust your judgement on how to treat them? Why lose easy points during the interview? Mitigate the risk, it's the moment you have worked for years to be in.

I think most everyone applying to medical school understands that. Nowhere does anyone talk about “unwashed” dreads though in this thread.

Remember that NOVA documentary from the 80’s? Remember Tom Tarter, the Harvard guy. The dreads in this case are akin to Dr. Tarter’s ponytail. I don’t believe Dr. Tarter was showing up disheveled though. There a big difference.

How are you comparing tribal tattoos to dreads lol?

Throwaway as I could easily be identified by this. I’m a passably white mixed race AA male with mid length dreads and currently 7/8 on acceptances from interviews with one WL. My hair was a huge concern of mine for interviews but I decided to not change a part of me just to appease more conservative crowds. Many interviewers commented on how they “loved” my hair. However this may have just been the same exoticism reaction to my mixed race appearance I’ve gotten my whole life. I keep it in a tight bun for interviews and don’t think it looks unprofessional for this era.

Probably relevant also is most of the schools I am in at are committed to urban or underserved communities and I personally work clinically in a city where dreads are a very common hairstyle.

I didnt compare tribal tattoos to dreads, only making the point of being neat and professional, and what might not be considered professional, which according to you everyone agrees with. So we are in agreement.

I didnt compare tribal tattoos to dreads, only making the point of being neat and professional, and what might not be considered professional, which according to you everyone agrees with. So we are in agreement.

You said “unwashed dreads.”

Somehow, somewhere a black male posted of picture of having a clean cut dread fade. (Yes, that’s what the haircut is called u can look it up on google images) which is NO WHERE near what dreadlocks are, and yet we have ppl talking about unwashed dreads, tribal tattoos...etc.

That’s like me asking if should I wear brown dress shoes to the interview and somehow someone starts talking about going to the interview barefoot or with slippers on?

Somehow, somewhere a black male posted of picture of having a clean cut dread fade. (Yes, that’s what the haircut is called u can look it up on google images) which is NO WHERE near what dreadlocks are, and yet we have ppl talking about unwashed dreads, tribal tattoos...etc.

That’s like me asking if should I wear brown dress shoes to the interview and somehow someone starts talking about going to the interview barefoot or with slippers on?

I like SDN. I think there is some good advice here that has some serious value. But there are those times where it does disappoint.

Some of you need to stop trying to find offense where there are none. The examples given are simply that ... Examples, of what is and is not acceptable. Anything more than that and you're projecting your own personal insecurities and biases to the responses given.

Some of you need to stop trying to find offense where there are none. The examples given are simply that ... Examples, of what is and is not acceptable. Anything more than that and you're projecting your own personal insecurities and biases to the responses given.
I was more confused on how tribal facial tattoos were brought up in a conversation deciding whether or not a decent haircut could be mistaken as something else, but okay. Next time somehow talks about what color tie they should wear to an interview I’ll just talk about how interviewers don’t want to see half-naked candidates dressed in ritual garments just to prove the point you know?

@sb247, This is 2019, not 1965. Even then I don’t think the OP or anybody for that matter is that out of touch. We have something called anti discriminatory laws in place that make what you are implying ILLEGAL. You can discriminate SOCIALLY as you wish but if it is found that a qualified applicant was denied admission to a professional school because of his/her hair, well that puts a school in a sticky spot and I’m sure no school wants any bad publicity. Especially when it comes to something as trivial as ethnic hair. Just look at how EVMS had to scramble and save face and create a brand new committee to prevent further blunders like their yearbook scandal. No school wants a pop up on their website saying “we are working to fix discriminatory policy.”

I know where you’re going but the OP is not running for the Republican nomination. This is a different crowd that he is trying to impress; if that makes sense. You probably think OP is straight outta Compton and has spinner wheels. I don’t think that’s the image he was trying to portray. There is a lot in between that image and an African American medical school applicant who happens to have dreads. BTW hair is not wardrobe. If you’re thinking OP has to show up to an interview looking like Wayne Brady, I would question how familiar you are with the admissions process as it exists today or all of America for that matter.

Got it. Biases no longer exist in 2019 and on the off chance someone is biased they will immediately be exposed. That's a great practical world-view you got there.

Sit this one out doc

OP, here is the bottom line...

Your hair won't keep you out of medical school. However, somewhere on the path to becoming an MD, you will encounter some people that will want to associate your "dreads" or a similar style with the likes of tribal tattoos, not bathing, unkemptness, and then unprofessionalism as you have seen here.

I'm telling you with 100% honesty that if you interviewed at my school with our Associate Dean of Admissions, you would not face any type of discrimination with respect to your hair "style." How do I know this? He personally calls each of us to let us know of our acceptances. We have three students in our class with dreads or braids (also two females with hijabs.)

That's one school however. I also with 100% honesty cannot speak for other schools or adcoms. Will someone else at some other medical school look at your hair and judge you and think you don't look like a future doctor? I'd like to say no but I really don't know the answer to that because I don't know what their thought process is.

I'm not a black male so it's very easy for me to give you my advice and then say "be yourself and be proud." The truth is, this type of an issue will open up a can of worms when you bring it up on an anonymous forum because humans have biases.

To be very serious for a moment, discrimination is a real issue. I have observed it myself but I'd like to think that at the graduate-school level, it is a non-issue as professionalism and accomplishment become paramount to things such as someone's hair, head covering, or personal style.

If you ever get the opportunity to interview at my program, the dreads will be welcome. If you don't, take a look at some of the responses on this thread and take that into consideration with how you want to proceed.

Good luck.

I don’t have a problem with the hair. Please work on your reading comprehension

Zaddyyyyy :love:

I think it’ll make others think you’re unkempt and maybe intimidating. Butttt, they’re probably think that either way in some capacity sooooo. . . I say it’s up to you.
How is that "intimidating"?

In my opinion it looks styled, and neat. I wouldn't go too long with it in that style, but I don't see the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.