MD MIT grad 3.57/Sc 3.40, MCATx3, [advice on applications]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

L33TFR33K

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a recent grad from MIT, engineering major AMCAS 3.6, sci 3.4 (only took requirements).

My one hiccup has been that I took the MCAT 3 times to try improving my verbal, but ended up scoring lower

I'm currently verified and in the process of writing up some secondaries. I've so far selected 34 schools just to apply across the board (money is no issue). Top tier & mid tiers.

How do you think of my chances, due to the verbal score? Can anyone provide more advice regarding any potential screening out due to verbal?

Should I discuss anything at all about the verbal score in the secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You may want to shift your app emphasis away from the top tier and much more towards the middle, considering how compared to the ranges for top schools you have a very low cGPA, very low sGPA, repeated very low MCAT without improvement, and very low verbal...do you have a school list to work with to get an idea what your chances are?

Reactions: 1 users
1. Have you volunteered at all?

2. If your MCAT was higher (36/518), I would be telling you to apply anywhere your heart desires (provided you've volunteered), but as it stands, your three nearly identical MCATs are going to hurt you. As efle said, you need to shift your focus down a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, my volunteer work consists of my EMT experience.

I won't sugarcoat it re-taking the MCAT three times and seeing your verbal drop like that is a pretty big red flag. The 9 was fine......a 6 and 7 are problems however. The fact that you are at the level of a 6-7 and can't seem to get back to a 9 is a very bad thing. And to start with your MCAT score was fine, retaking that was not good judgement.

With all due respect, you need to get in touch with reality if your focus is mid and top tier schools. The MCAT verbal is a big enough red flag that you are hardly a sure thing to net a single acceptance at ANY school, including lower tiers. People with your GPA from MIT tend to get into medical school, but the MCAT is just a serious issue. Luckily you live in Ohio and have solid options to choose from there. But seriously, you have to get in touch with reality here and focus your efforts on the lower tiers. Even if your GPA was near perfect no mid or high tier school would be competitive with that MCAT. You do have solid EC's+ combined with a GPA that is often sufficient for MIT grads+ live in a nice state of residency but the emphasis has to be on all lower tiers. Don't give donations to big names and even to middle tiers that they don't need.

Reactions: 1 user
Here:
Baylor College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Columbia University College of P & S
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Drexel University College of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicin
Harvard Medical School
Indiana University School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Mayo Medical School
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York University
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med.
The University of Miami School of Medicine
The University of Toledo College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
University of California San Francisco
University of Central Florida COM
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of Florida
University of Michigan Medical School s
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Yale School of Medicine

Here:
Harvard Medical School
Mayo Medical School
New York University
University of Florida
Yale School of Medicine

I'm not exaggerating there are maybe 5 schools that should stay on your list. Invest in MSAR, look at schools with GPA's and MCAT's close to yours. This isn't realistic in anyway, you are just donating thousands of dollars to schools that don't need them.

If you guys have some other suggestions of schools, I'd be happy to hear them :)

Last edited:
Here:

Harvard Medical School
Mayo Medical School
New York University

University of Florida
Yale School of Medicine
And you have already submitted to all of these? You probably don't want to bother with the secondaries for the bolded schools as you are at and below 10th percentile for their MCAT ranges, and should instead start adding on lower-middle tier schools. I'm being pretty conservative here too I think, others will probably tell you not to bother with another 5+ on that list

I know most of the top schools are a reach, but I'm the type of person who can't give up the chance =P

As I said, applying everywhere is not an issue for me just to cast a wide net. I have put my focus on my state schools, especially OSU & Case. Theres also Cincinnati as well. I'm also interested in the Florida schools (Miami, USF) since that's where my family is now.

If you guys have some other suggestions of schools, I'd be happy to hear them :)

The top schools will look at your application and just throw it in the trash. With all due respect, you are just wasting thousands of dollars on them. It's not even a debate, a 3.6/31 who retook the MCAT 3 times and had declining verbal scores isn't remotely competitive. You cannot let those schools distract from your focus which has to be all lower tiers. If you apply to all these top schools and waste time on their secondaries, it will affect your performance on the secondaries for schools that actually count for you.

Invest in MSAR. You really need it. Target all lower tier schools. If money isn't an option for you the 25 schools you should target are the lower tiers. All of them. Northeast Ohio, Toledo and Wright State are where your odds are strongest. You need to send an application to those 3 schools at all costs.

You might not like what anybody is saying here but trust us we are doing you a major favor giving you a heads up now. Because that list has 7 schools I think are worth considering for applying. If you apply to only 7 realistic schools(and that doesn't include the 3 your odds are highest at) there is a very strong chance you get shut out completely. I strongly recommend DO consideration as well.

Reactions: 2 users
And you have already submitted to all of these? You probably don't want to bother with the secondaries for the bolded schools as you are at and below 10th percentile for their MCAT ranges, and should instead start adding on lower-middle tier schools. I'm being pretty conservative here too I think, others will probably tell you not to bother with another 5+ on that list

I have not submitted anything but Columbia's, I have only received secondaries from Tufts, BU, Columbia, Yale & Michigan. I agree, these are reaches and I selected a large amount and wanted to slay off some schools later on.

Last edited:
You're going to want to massively overhaul that list. The top schools are not realistic for you. Set your sights on lower tier MD to comprise majority of your list. Realize that most of the top schools have 10%ile GPAs at 3.5-3.6, and 10%ile MCATs at 32-33. Being an engineering major from MIT will definitely cut you some slack on your GPA, but your MCATx3 is a real issue for the big names. I know this is tough to hear but it is in your best interest to have a strong list that ensures you end up in medical school - even schools that are "low tier" provide an excellent education and will get you where you need to go, but you need to get into a med school first.

I would start with ALL Ohio Schools: Neomed, Toledo, Wright State, OSU, Cincy, Case

Then add 10+ schools where your stats are closer to the medians: Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, Penn State, NYMC, Albany, Vermont, EVMS, VCU, WVU, Rush, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton, MCW, Tufts

-Possibly some Florida schools depending on how strong your connection is to the state.

Then some reasonable reaches: Rochester, Einstein, Wake Forest, Miami, BU

THEN start adding those super mega reaches you have on there.

The top schools will look at your application and just throw it in the trash. With all due respect, you are just wasting thousands of dollars on them. It's not even a debate, a 3.6/31 who retook the MCAT 3 times and had declining verbal scores isn't remotely competitive. You cannot let those schools distract from your focus which has to be all lower tiers. If you apply to all these top schools and waste time on their secondaries, it will affect your performance on the secondaries for schools that actually count for you.

Invest in MSAR. You really need it. Target all lower tier schools. If money isn't an option for you the 25 schools you should target are the lower tiers. All of them. Northeast Ohio, Toledo and Wright State are where your odds are strongest. You need to send an application to those 3 schools at all costs.

You might not like what anybody is saying here but trust us we are doing you a major favor giving you a heads up now. Because that list has 7 schools I think are worth considering for applying. If you apply to only 7 realistic schools(and that doesn't include the 3 your odds are highest at) there is a very strong chance you get shut out completely. I strongly recommend DO consideration as well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have not submitted anything but Columbia's, I have only received secondaries from Tufts, BU, Columbia, Yale & Michigan. I agree, these are reaches and I selected a large amount and wanted to slay off some schools later on.

I am preparing to hire Judy Colwell as well to look over my app and give some suggestions.
How did you put together your school list? I'd immediately go flip through the MSAR and compile schools with median MCATs of 32 or lower you would be interested in. You need to start applying to them now.

You really aren't going to get much by throwing lots of money at this process...just need to put together a more sane/realistic list.

I agree, I have MSAR and might take a look at other schools. Are you a current medical student or have gone through the process?

Also, DO is not an option. I am weighing my options next year of medical school versus engineering/business. Theres no way I would choose DO, because my application to business schools is quite competitive. :)

Thanks for your advice
Have you considered that medicine may not be the best choice of career, if you'd prefer business or engineering because of something like the letters after your name?

I am preparing to hire Judy Colwell as well to look over my app and give some suggestions.

Who?

Take the advice of these wise gentlemen if you want to be a doctor.

If you don't, then ignore them and go to business school.

Yeah agree with efle here. if you're already working at Google then I would say you have a pretty fantastic resume.

How did you put together your school list? I'd immediately go flip through the MSAR and compile schools with median MCATs of 32 or lower you would be interested in. You need to start applying to them now.

You really aren't going to get much by throwing lots of money at this process...just need to put together a more sane/realistic list.

Yep, that's no problem. I was well prepared to change my list as needed (not apply/add).

Well, I know I want to be involved in the medical technology/business field, and being involved in medicine is the best way. I'm pretty well connected within the realm of medicine.

Thanks for your advice, I'm adding schools as we speak :)

Last edited:
If MD is what you want, you can get there with your application - your activities are actually really great, and unique as well (you don't come across google engineers with patents that often on SDN).

It's good that you are willing to compromise and apply to more realistic schools! Once your foundation is set, then you can start reaching.

If MD is what you want, you can get there with your application - your activities are actually really great, and unique as well (you don't come across google engineers with patents that often on SDN).

It's good that you are willing to compromise and apply to more realistic schools! Once your foundation is set, then you can start reaching.

Yep, thats great advice. Do you suggest touching on any of the weaknesses in optional essays?

Yep, thats great advice. Do you suggest touching on any of the weaknesses in optional essays?

For your GPA, you could explain any outlier semesters if there is a legitimate reason (health issue, death in family etc.) and the prompt warrants it; if your GPA is more consistently 3.5 then there is nothing to say. For the MCAT I am unsure what you could say really, just leave that alone.

You obviously don't want to sound like you're making excuses.

For your GPA, you could explain any outlier semesters if there is a legitimate reason (health issue, death in family etc.) and the prompt warrants it; if your GPA is more consistently 3.5 then there is nothing to say. For the MCAT I am unsure what you could say really, just leave that alone.

You obviously don't want to sound like you're making excuses.

Nah GPA was mostly tanked by freshman spring orgo & some B's. Sophomore avg 3.9, then the other two years were around 3.6

I think some of you are being too harsh on his prospects. We know statistically that a decent number of 3.6/32 people get into top med schools every year and everyone wonders who these people were - 'MIT Google engineer' would explain it.
(I assume you're not using MIT's 5.0-scale of course?)

I think some of you are being too harsh on his prospects. We know statistically that a decent number of 3.6/32 people get into top med schools every year and everyone wonders who these people were - 'MIT Google engineer' would explain it.

Yep, my gpa is on the AMCAS scale haha. I think I might cut off a few definite no's and add some mid tiers.

Less than 10% of the class at top med schools have 32 and lower MCATs. Chances are they aren't wealthy kids afforded every opportunity at a stellar undergrad, that took the MCAT three times with no improvement, including 6 and 7 Verbal scores, and also carrying a 3.4 sGPA. This does remind me to check something though: @L33TFR33K what is your race?

Nah GPA was mostly tanked by freshman spring orgo & some B's. Sophomore avg 3.9, then the other two years were around 3.6
Post the list of potential additions when you've got it. Most of the 32-and-lower median schools are public, so you will want to check how friendly they are to out of state applicants. You can see this in the MSAR by looking on the Acceptance Information sheet for a given school and noting the ratio of applicants to interviews for out of state applicants.

Less than 10% of the class at top med schools have 32 and lower MCATs. Chances are they aren't wealthy kids afforded every opportunity at a stellar undergrad, that took the MCAT three times with no improvement, including 6 and 7 Verbal scores, and also carrying a 3.4 sGPA. This does remind me to check something though: @L33TFR33K what is your race?

Post the list of potential additions when you've got it. Most of the 32-and-lower median schools are public, so you will want to check how friendly they are to out of state applicants. You can see this in the MSAR by looking on the Acceptance Information sheet for a given school and noting the ratio of applicants to interviews for out of state applicants.

Of course, it hurts that I'm Asian. My sGPA is the average of around 5 or 6 courses out of 40+ I took, mostly affected by a C in Orgo 1, got an A in Orgo 2 tho.

I did check most of the in/state out of state stats and generally avoided preference to in state.

My brother is a software engineer at Google- did well in all the chemistries, (he took them all FOR FUN), can read all the programming languages, loves reading books, but not good at verbal testing (as an adult- tested off the charts as a kid). Got into MIT but chose CMU bc it was close to family. It takes a special person to be a software engineer/programmer vs a doctor. There's a need for both. I suggest you evaluate this as these shools you have chance at aren't "MIT level"- if you're not okay with that than I suggest pursuing bioengineering as a masters. In the mean time, do one-0n-on patient volunteering, ie, pushing patients around a hospital if you have to. You need to know if this is for you. If you can wake up in the morning and smell C. diff (med students and residents will get the reference).

You have far too many reaches in your application. You should apply to all the Ohio schools and add the OOS schools from @Banco's list. Other schools you could add:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan

"I want to get in medical technology so I figured why not medicine"

"Its just this MD hoop I have to jump through."

"Also, DO is not an option. I am weighing my options next year of medical school versus engineering/business. Theres no way I would choose DO, because my application to business schools is quite competitive."

I'll be honest I'm not sure your answers to these questions and your resume is suggestive of someone who is really interested in going in such a rigorous career like medicine with so much training and who sound like someone who might not really be fit for medicine itself. Only you can decide whether or not it is worth applying, but these responses are indicative of someone not really that committed and all that craving to be a physician. Your interests/goal are in medical technology; I don't know if dedicating 8-12 years of brutal training to become a physician and the lifestyle physicians have is the way to go about that.

And the DO answer is very telling. The fact you would rather just go to business school than ever consider DO says a fair amount. And the reason DO's are so important is there is a definitely a chance you are going to have to end up in one if you want to become a physician. The verbal scores and how they've declined to really low levels is just a very big red flag. Even being in Ohio and an MIT grad nothing is guaranteed at all.

You clearly are talented on the engineering side of things and could have a great career in business. I'm not sure medicine and the training and life style it involves is what's for you to achieve your long term goals. It's certainly something to think about.

Reactions: 4 users
The DO comment made me have similar thoughts...it could just be that HYPSM students are so wrapped up in elite identity (also explains the massively top heavy list), but whatever the reason it doesn't bode well for a 3.4 sGPA / 29-32 x3 MCAT + low V to feel that way. If prestige and being medical in nature are what matter (sounds like money isn't a big concern for OP), stick to the engineering with a medical bent!

I'm guessing the OP knows exactly what he (or she) is doing -- and med school likely doesn't have much to do with it.

@Goro thoughts on OP's competitiveness if they refuse to include any DO? Considering most of their match schools will be public institutions that don't care about the MIT name or cut any slack for the GPA, does he stand a solid shot at MD with the 3.4 / 29-32 x3, low V, because of the awesome ECs?

The DO comment made me have similar thoughts...it could just be that HYPSM students are so wrapped up in elite identity (also explains the massively top heavy list), but whatever the reason it doesn't bode well for a 3.4 sGPA / 29-32 x3 MCAT + low V to feel that way. If prestige and being medical in nature are what matter (sounds like money isn't a big concern for OP), stick to the engineering with a medical bent!
lol last I checked OP didn't ask premeds, who are likely in an earlier stage in life than him, comprehensive life advice or commentary on his possible motivations.

lol last I checked OP didn't ask premeds, who are likely in an earlier stage in life than him, comprehensive life advice or commentary on his possible motivations.
He would rather go into a different career than have DO letters instead of MD. I don't think it's ridiculous to point out that with his stats having that kind of focus on prestige could bite him in the ass, and is not a good reason to go into medicine...last I checked people of all ages can have the wrong motivations

He would rather go into a different career than have DO letters instead of MD. I don't think it's ridiculous to point out that with his stats having that kind of focus on prestige could bite him in the ass, and is not a good reason to go into medicine...last I checked people of all ages can have the wrong motivations
In the words of the Big L: 'that's, like, your opinion man'. You're posting like you have every possibility figured out. For all you know maybe he dreams of using his name-brand education and work experience to go into healthcare technology via venture capital or private equity. Or maybe he wants neurosurgery-or-bust. Or maybe whatever. Realize he didn't ask you to be point man for his life path decision.

In the words of the Big L: 'that's, like, your opinion man'. You're posting like you have every possibility figured out. For all you know maybe he dreams of using his name-brand education and work experience to go into healthcare technology via venture capital or private equity. Or maybe he wants neurosurgery-or-bust. Or maybe whatever. Realize he didn't ask you to be point man for his life path decision.

I don't think I've said anything absolute like that, I've been using words like "could" and "I think" and "consider if medicine is the right path". Realize you aren't point man for OP either and can let him speak for himself if he needs to correct me about:

Also, DO is not an option...Theres no way I would choose DO, because my application to business schools is quite competitive. :)

meaning DO is unacceptable for perceived prestige.

You must find SDN a very difficult place if seeing advice like mine upsets you. It's not exactly uncommon to see people told that medicine may be a bad choice if it's "competitive specialty or bust" or even "MD or bust"

haha I'm not trying to troll but OP's quote about DO's is quite hilarious actually. OP, with your MCAT decline, you can be from Harvard, Yale, Penn, or all three of them, your top heavy medical schools will NOT look at them. Especially because a TON of MD's look at the most recent MCAT, not the best MCAT. Also, from what I've noticed talking to both MD's and DO's, for them, the letters on their names don't matter. They chose medicine to interact and treat people, not for the letters behind their names. Same goes with PA's, NP's, Nurses, ect. If your ultimate goal is to treat patients, the title should not matter. The fact that you're choosing medical school vs business school is a prime indication that your heart may not lie with medicine entirely. That notion is only affirmed with your statement about DO's.

I don't think I've said anything absolute like that, I've been using words like "could" and "I think" and "consider if medicine is the right path". Realize you aren't point man for OP either and can let him speak for himself if he needs to correct me about:

meaning DO is unacceptable for perceived prestige.

You must find SDN a very difficult place if seeing advice like mine upsets you. It's not exactly uncommon to see people told that medicine may be a bad choice if it's "competitive specialty or bust" or even "MD or bust"
I know man - you're kid expert on who you think should or shouldn't pursue medicine and now you're calling on Goro to take a look at this interesting case study you've found.

But sincerely, yes there are things for which DO is unacceptable prestige wise. I just gave you two of them. Now if you want to make the SDN argument that nobody should pursue medicine unless they want to serve in rural primary care - then great. Numerous people before you on SDN have but get on your soapbox and parrot it again for us as if someone asked.

Here's a more reasonable list:

To answer @efle's question: OP has a < avg sGPA and is a 3x MCAT taker who did NOT improve. OP's choice making abilities may be questions by MD Adcoms, and MCATs even more so.

EDIT: Many Adcom members consider EMTs to be glorified taxi drivers.

OP should include some DO schools, Oakland-B, Western MI, all OH schools, ALL FL schools, wake, VCU, EVMS, Loyola, Creighton, Rush, MCW, SLU and Tulane, because beggars can't be choosy.

And to freemontie, better tone down the hostility, because I can see you're starting to go off the rails again. That sound you hear off in the background is the banhammer being cocked.

University of Florida

My father is a doctor at Mayo, and I'm pretty well connected within the realm of medicine. Its just this MD hoop I have to jump through.

I just threw up all over my computer.

Reactions: 4 users
I know man - you're kid expert on who you think should or shouldn't pursue medicine and now you're calling on Goro to take a look at this interesting case study you've found.

But sincerely, yes there are things for which DO is unacceptable prestige wise. I just gave you two of them. Now if you want to make the SDN argument that nobody should pursue medicine unless they want to serve in rural primary care - then great. Numerous people before you on SDN have but get on your soapbox and parrot it again for us as if someone asked.
No, I really am trying to get an expert to come give OP advice, not to validate my opinions. Nowhere in the post I tagged Goro did I mention the DO comment.

I have no illusions about the MD vs DO situation. But I think you know you're being ridiculous with the opposite extreme implication that DOs are limited to primary care, let alone rural. And as I said before, he may well have one of your reasons like "neurosurgery or bust"...in which case it is still worth considering the med path since it's hard to get there even with an MD. If I get you some links to adcom physicians saying the same type of thing, would that help this situation? Is your only issue that I'm not credentialed enough, or more generally that someone would give advice about reconsidering after the comments OP has made?

IN terms of residency you can't really get any better than having lived in Ohio your whole life and then moving to Fl and getting those schools as well. So OP's got that down pretty good.

IN terms of residency you can't really get any better than having lived in Ohio your whole life and then moving to Fl and getting those schools as well. So OP's got that down pretty good.
ah yeah good thing he isn't Californian!

@efle and @hopefulERdoc251, what are your qualifications? Are you guys still in college? I'm looking for advice from people who may have better inside as a med student or beyond. I'm quite aware of theoretical stuff.

I have my path in medicine already well planned out since a long time ago. Going to DO and low tier medical school is perfectly fine for someone who just wants to treat patients everyday. Yeah that's great but my aims are a bit different. My background is well thought out to be involved in the innovation side of medicine, and using medical practice to spur ideas, provide expertise and knowing what problems to tackle. I agree it's a business minded decision, but my goals are to be a leader/innovator. Who can innovate in a field they barely know? (many new medical startups are lead and advised by doctors)

Lots of changes are coming in the near future to medicine, and we'll need more technically trained doctors to run the show.

It's not like I'm not taking your guy's advice. I already added 12 more schools to my list in the mid tier range. If it needs to be, I can do med school anywhere and then go to a better residency program. After all many of our connects are either department chairs or well known in the society, directors of fellowship/residency training, etc.

Seriously OP, please go to business school. Its stressing me out that you might be in my medical class.

@efle and @hopefulERdoc251, what are your qualifications? Are you guys still in college? I'm looking for advice from people who may have better inside as a med student or beyond. I'm quite aware of theoretical stuff.

I have my path in medicine already well planned out since a long time ago. Going to DO and low tier medical school is perfectly fine for someone who just wants to treat patients everyday. Yeah that's great but my aims are a bit different. My background is well thought out to be involved in the innovation side of medicine, and using medical practice to spur ideas, provide expertise and knowing what problems to tackle. I agree it's a business minded decision, but my goals are to be a leader/innovator. Who can innovate in a field they barely know? (many new medical startups are lead and advised by doctors)

Lots of changes are coming in the near future to medicine, and we'll need more technically trained doctors to run the show.

It's not like I'm not taking your guy's advice. I already added 12 more schools to my list in the mid tier range. If it needs to be, I can do med school anywhere and then go to a better residency program. After all many of our connects are either department chairs or well known in the society, directors of fellowship/residency training, etc.

hahah jesus christ. THIS is what is wrong with Doctors. You're a DOCTOR. You TREAT PATIENTS. Yes you have to be a leader/innovator, but if your ultimate goal is to do that rather than treat patients, then do NOT go into medicine.

Actually OP, go to the Caribbean. Please. I beg of you.

Also nah man i'm out of college, but working in a setting where I interact with MD's, DO's, MD residents, DO residents, MD students and DO students I think gives me pretty good insight on the differences, similarities, and stupidity of the MD vs DO debate. Let me tell you one thing OP, even if you do decide to become an MD, I sincerely hope you can work with DO's, NP's, and PA's without any sort of condescending attitude otherwise you will get RAILED on wards, residency, and beyond.

OP just got a good look at the typical SDN demo: elke and chrismack are underclassmen kids insecure about their own profiles; Goro is a DO adcom, a sensible one but still somebody with a huge bias; and hopefulERdoc is a current DO applicant. Some time soon elke will make good on his promise and give us all the links he's procurred to advocate his position. Someone should have him reconsider his own med aspirations- I'm thinking pastor given his affinity for parroting with authority.

Funniest part is that chrismack is stressed out. Get a grip, son.

I don't like being surrounded by dinguses. Particularly dinguses who rely on their daddy's job to get them what they want.

Also doctors who look down on doctors who "just" want to treat patients.