Military to pay for podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janita87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I can't ask for any more loans for podiatry school because I already have loans from undergrad. So, I was considering joining the military to pay for my schooling. Is there anyone out there that I doing this or that has a military scholarship like the health professions scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

I've thought about doing it, and unless things have changed recently, the Navy is the only doing the HPSP for podiatry. If you check out the military medicine forum here on SDN, I think you will find that the genereal consensus is that you shouldn't join the military just for the money. Remember that you will owe them several years after you graduate, and while you are doing that you could quite possibly be making significantly more money in private practice. Now, if you want to join the military for other reasons, I think it is great that podiatry students have that option now. I do know of at least one person at my school doing the Navy option, and I know the process of getting all the paperwork taken care of can take quite a long time. Best of luck in whatever you choose. Oh, BTW, why can't you take out loans? Most of us had to take out loans in undergrad too.

I know I can't ask for any more loans for podiatry school because I already have loans from undergrad. So, I was considering joining the military to pay for my schooling. Is there anyone out there that I doing this or that has a military scholarship like the health professions scholarship?

I took the scholarship during my second year. The best time to take it is just before the start of the 2nd year. I think it will be a great way to reduce debt and continue a family tradition of serving in the military. If you really understand the math, even though you don't make as much income as your counterparts, to come out better than the Navy deal (at the end of your 3 year active duty commitment) you would have to make over 150k for your first 3 years out of residency, which I have been told is possible, but not typical today. This calculation incorporates student loan repayment with after tax money, student loan interest, and the taxes you will face when in private practice (this is more than just income taxes, you have to account for payroll taxes as well). PM me if you want a more in depth financial explanation. I think it is a very well kept secret right now in our community. This particular scholarship was offered for the first time ever to pods in late 2008. I called as many retired military pods as I could find to try to determine what the work environment is like, so you should do your due diligence before making the commitment. Also as the above post mentioned, check out the military section of sdn to get a glimpse of what life is like in the military. And, like the above poster, I would think that you can still obtain loans for pod school even if you had them in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, what you are saying is to do take the scholarship before your second year instead of joining the navy.

Also, I have been reading the military feed and I also have lots of military in the family and have sort of talked to retired military podiatrists. So, my main question when should I talk to a recruiter and which branch should I talk to, do you get all the benefits they say in the description of the scholarship. Pretty much I need a little selling of this scholarship because there is a lot of he say, she say and I need some proof. Also, what school do you go to?

Yes, getting loans for professional school is not as difficult as you might think. As a matter of fact, it is pretty easy.

Paying them back, well, that's another story.

Hey Everyone, I know this thread is a little older but didn't know where else to post this..I'm currently a BSN student and will graduate in May 2012..I'm considering applying for Podiatry School in Jan 2012 and then hopefully gain admissions in the Fall of 2012...

Some Background on me is that I was 6 year prior service Active Duty in the Army in the Military Intelligence Field, I got out in 04 and have been working off and on at GNC..in 09, I decided that I wanted to go back into the military and commission..and that led me to Nursing School, now in my second semester, I feel like I want to contribute more to the patients lives and well being..Nursing seems so limiting, and have been researching other health fields and I keep circling back to Podiatry, it really fascinates me, especially the Surgical aspect, and with about a year left for the application process..I was curious When should I start applying for the Podiatry Scholarship for the Army? 2) Where can I find more information on what a podiatrist does in the army/military 3)How do I go about shadowing a podiatrist in the military and in the civilian sector, ie..Do they require a resume or is it just a walk in?
Also as far as schools are concerned which school is the best from a surgical aspect??
Also I'm 31, will that impede my applications to Podiatry Schools/and or Military?

Also as far as schools are concerned which school is the best from a surgical aspect??

You actually do very little surgery (if any) in podiatry school; you receive this training during residency. You get to learn/read about surgery often as well as scrub cases, but you'll actually perform/first assist on a regular basis during residency. I wouldn't choose a school based on their OR training; I would choose one based on their academics, board scores, clinical skills training, and location.

All podiatry residencies include significant surgical training (or are supposed to), but some more than others. That is what you'll need to research when/if the time comes.

Sorry I couldn't help with any of your other questions.

Creflo,
Is the Navy program still only covering 3 years of tuition?

janita87,
The military pays for your school and in turn you owe them service time. Creflo was saying that you should take loans out for the first year and then apply for the Navy HPSP (that's the scholarship) before your second year. He/She can comment on the length of the scholarship, I thought I had heard they were only covering pod's for 3 years, so financially it makes sense to take the loan years 2-4...but I could be wrong.

g squared 23 said:
I wouldn't choose a school based on their OR training; I would choose one based on their academics, board scores, clinical skills training, and location.

:thumbup:

Don't forget residency placement. There's one program that is regularly tops in those categories (other than location lol)...

The last time I looked into it was 2009, at that time they were only covering 3 years of tuition. I would contact the recruiter about half way through the first year of podiatry school, and insist that they "scroll" you at the beginning of your application process, not the end. They waited to scroll me until I was accepted, then I was delayed 4 more months.

Creflo,
Is the Navy program still only covering 3 years of tuition?

janita87,
The military pays for your school and in turn you owe them service time. Creflo was saying that you should take loans out for the first year and then apply for the Navy HPSP (that's the scholarship) before your second year. He/She can comment on the length of the scholarship, I thought I had heard they were only covering pod's for 3 years, so financially it makes sense to take the loan years 2-4...but I could be wrong.