Military Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anybody had some good info about the military scholarship?

I am prior military (Army National Guard) I spoke with Sgt. Biddel, and he informed me that this is a "competitive" process.

What exactly that means I am not sure, but I informed him of my GPA, MCAT and extra Curr. and he was unable to tell me how much of a chance I had. I am very interested in doing this as I really need the money, and feel I would serve well in this environment.

I think this would be a good thread for anybody who wants to discuss this stuff.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance, John

Members don't see this ad.

When he said "competitive", he probably meant they award the scholarships on a first-come, first-serve basis. For the next academic year, there might not be any scholarships remaining, but if a medical school has already accepted you, you can begin the application process now so that the first convening board in September considers you. The more scholarships available at the time they consider you, the better the chance- so, apply early!. I won't say undergrad grades and MCAT aren't important, but what's most important to the board is that you have an acceptance at a med school, you have no physical disqualifications, and you are enthusiastic to serve after school. Good grades will help, middle of the pack grades won't hurt or help you, but barely sqeaking into med school with borderline grades probably might hurt your chances. But, timing and an acceptance are the most important factors!

Your best "standout point" is that you are prior service. The only thing I can see that would keep you out is if you are in any way not physically qualified. You know the drill. Don't volunteer any information that they cannot pin you down on in some form or fashion. Even if you had prior military injuries or problems, they will not pay close attention to them unless you volunteer that info. Your old health record is probably on some dusty shelf, and as long as you pass your physical, you should be in. I got accepted for the scholarship even after I had been out of enlisted life for about 4 years, and even though I had a 10% disability. Talk about unobservant! I ended up turning the scholarship down because I wanted instead to do the National Health Service Corps Scholarship. I decided I was getting too old to be doing night land-nav and PT at 0600. Its a great program though and you will get tons of experience. It is a career builder unlike any other. Just ask our President of our school who is the former Army Surgeon General, LTG.

Members don't see this ad :)
PACtoDOC

Huge thanks man. Yeah, I know the drill all right, but I guess after being out for 4 years I got confused and thought the militaries administration had purchases computers to keep track of the Joes or something. :laugh: Perhaps I should warm up my writing hand for the 60 pounds of paperwork that awaits me.

On a more serious note This is a great opportunity and truly might be my only way to finance this education.
The recruiter hand me going a bit about the process, so I'm hopefull that those things you pointed out about the prior service come true. I was "platoon guide" during basic at Ft. Benning, and I held the highest pt score in the company, selected for OCS, yada, yada . . . . so we'll see.

The only concern I have is that it might be a little late to apply. I just now have been able to confirm which financial aid route I was going to take.

Thanks to you as well T.A.M.

jbear I think its to late to apply for the Army scholarship. They told me the deadline was April 15. Try the Navy I was just offered a scholarship on Monday.

Justin

Mohody, I also heard the same thing, but then they told me that there was a July 15 deadline for the second round. Maybe it was for next year???? I haven't a clue. I'll call them again today. Thanks for the byte.

John

There were plently of people in my class still waiting to hear from the service about their acceptance when classes first started. Also, if you just aren't sure if you want to do it or not. Spend the extra money to pay for your first year and apply in Spring of year one. 3 year scholarships are even better because you only owe 3 years after residency. You will make up in salary as a military resident what you had to pay for year one of med school. we have a bunch of 3 year scholars as well.

You know that's a really good point. I will still pursue it this year, but if I can pull off alternative means for the first year it won't be a huge loss. In the meantime:

Maybe you guys could help me with this sticking point?????

As far as I understand, the school will allow the students 1,390 dollars/month for living expenses. That's fine, except the national poverty line (as told to me from a somewhat reliable source) is 1,500 dollars/month.

Now I know students are supposed to be broke, and "if you live like a proffesional now, you may have to live like a student when you graduate." That's great. However, I do have certain financial responsibilites that are not excessive, but yet not coverable with 1,390/month. It's not alimony, or any of the other "loop holes" that the financial aid opportunities for adjustment. So, my concern falls when the financial aid people tell me that loans are based on need, and they determine your need, so no matter how many papers you sign you can only get up to 1,390.

Am I understanding that correctly???? I'm needing about 1,550/month. I'd be interested to see how some of you with a similar need have met this? Thanks, John

I just called the recruiters office again. This time I had better questions.

Those who are not chosen for the 2003 year will not have to re-apply but simply update thier transcripts and a few minor details come the following year.

MCAT and GPA are major factors in filling the last 70 spots. But . . when I told him my stats he felt they were competetive yet. My stats are not quite stellar, so this is good.

There is always a percentage of people who do not take the scholorship and therefore some straggling awards do take place in October.

Those who are awarded the scholorship can still take a subsidized loan ~8,500 and therefore end up with around ~1800 dollars/month when added to the 1100 stipend.

This may be better for some MS1's like me who aren't going to make it on 1,390/month

Well . . . hope this helps anybody who's thinking about it.

John

So this is pretty basic but could someone lay out the jist of the military scholarship for me? I see it as: one year service (doing what? do you start right after med school or after residency?) for each year paid, 2 wks service each year plus living stipend. Who do you contact to find out more info and to see about applying? What is the deadline like- do you start applying in the summer/fall/winter/spring the year before you begin?
Thanks so much!

Medneuro:

I only have experience with the Air Force HPSP. It works something like this... you owe a year of service for each year of scholarship receipt. This time is paid back post residency. The recruiters will tell you that you can pursue a civilian residency, but if the AF has spots open in the specialty you want to pursue then you'll probably be forced to take it. Sometimes exceptions are made, but don't count on them. Each year that you receive scholarship funds, you will be required to do 45 days active duty generally in a AF teaching hospital (ie at Scott, Wright-Patterson, Eglin, Travis, Lackland, Keesler, Andrews and Offut AF Bases). These tours of duty are treated similarly to clinical rotations in a civilian healthcare facility. You will be following residents, attendings, and staff physicians and be exposed to the military healthcare setting. The main difference from your other rotations is that at these you must wear a uniform and abide by military customs and courtesies that you will be taught at your first active duty tour through commissioned officer training school. For the AF, this is done at Maxwell AF Base in Montgomery, AL. Once you matriculate or accept the scholarship, you will receive a stipend of approx 1,100 per month after taxes. While you serve your active duty rotations, you'll make about 3,000 per month depending on your marital status and where you live. You must contact a healthcare recruiter to find out more about the scholarship. For the AF, you must have an acceptance letter in hand to apply. For a listing of local recruiters, go to airforce.com and seach the Health Professions Scholarship. Hope this helps some. I do suggest to make sure that you want to join the military before you consider this method of funding school. Talk to some active duty physicians. I love the AF, but the military is not for everyone. Try to gain as much exposure to the military healthcare system as you can while you decide if this is the right path for you. Good luck!

Cyndi