military scholarship time frame questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLuvDAT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am very interested in going the military route. if I get accepted into the program, I would go to NYU because my family lives in NYC and the transit system is very convenient here, on the hand if i have to pay tuition out of my own pocket I prefer my state schools over NYU for an obvious reason that i don't wanna take out a $300K loan for something I can get for half of the price. in simple words, I would choose NYU only on the condition that I get accepted into HPSP. The dilemma is that for all dec 1 acceptances, I think that they give you about a month to decide whether you want to attend and yet then military needs you to apply with a acceptance letter in hand and the they will let you know the decision in 8 weeks. is there a way to find out whether you are in for HPSP before jan of 2008 so that we can choose the schools based upon the military scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

you dont have to wait until you've been accepted to apply. You can apply for the HPSP...and you can get selected without an acceptance. You just cant take it until you submit an acceptance letter from a school. So if you want to see if you are going to get the HPSP b4 Jan 2008...figure out what branch you want to be a part of..and start getting the ball rolling ASAP. The sooner you get rolling...the better your chances of getting reviewed by the selection board early.

you dont have to wait until you've been accepted to apply. You can apply for the HPSP...and you can get selected without an acceptance. You just cant take it until you submit an acceptance letter from a school. So if you want to see if you are going to get the HPSP b4 Jan 2008...figure out what branch you want to be a part of..and start getting the ball rolling ASAP. The sooner you get rolling...the better your chances of getting reviewed by the selection board early.

shamrock, thanks for your reply. can i apply to all branches ( army, navy, and air force) at same time ? my top choice would be air force naturally and then navy and finally army. also, if you get on a ship for deployment, would you get broadband internet?

Members don't see this ad :)
The internet on a ship can be fairly fast and then it can be very slow. The ship received internet via satellite. The ship breaks down the bandwidth between urgent computers, higher ranking officers computers and the the general ship computers. Priority of use to the general ship computers comes last when bandwidth is limited. Plus, there are times of the day when the ship has to do maintenance thus the internet drags. Then there are times like what happened on 9/11 when I was in the Arabian Sea when the interet is cut off and it may be days or weeks before the internet is turned back on for the general population including dentists. Most of the time, dealing with the internet is not that bad.

thanks for sharing navy dds. how fast are we talking about? do they allow file sharing programs like bittorrent? lastly how do i get snail mails during the time I am on a ship?
thanks in advance

sorry I should have clarified...i was basically referencing the Air Force...I know I got selected b/4 I was accepted to a dental school. Sorry about that. and as far as applying to all the services...i cant say for certain but I think you probably could...It'll probably just be a ton of paper work, LORs, etc.

sorry I should have clarified...i was basically referencing the Air Force...I know I got selected b/4 I was accepted to a dental school. Sorry about that. and as far as applying to all the services...i cant say for certain but I think you probably could...It'll probably just be a ton of paper work, LORs, etc.

Same deal with the Army. As long as you have certain stats (I don't know them since I'm going Navy), you will be guaranteed a spot pending an acceptance.

That being said, as long as your stats are good, even the Air Force isn't that competitive. You just need to be EARLY. That is the key. Worst case scenario, you could deposit at both schools and just lose one or the other upon hearing about HPSP.

Same deal with the Army. As long as you have certain stats (I don't know them since I'm going Navy), you will be guaranteed a spot pending an acceptance.

That being said, as long as your stats are good, even the Air Force isn't that competitive. You just need to be EARLY. That is the key. Worst case scenario, you could deposit at both schools and just lose one or the other upon hearing about HPSP.

what kind of stats do i need to get in the air force? 3.8GPA, 24+ DAT??

what kind of stats do i need to get in the air force? 3.8GPA, 24+ DAT??

Automatic acceptance for both Air Force and Army is a 3.5 GPA and 19+ DAT. This is assuming you meet all other requirements, i.e. physical, background check, etc.

Automatic acceptance for both Air Force and Army is a 3.5 GPA and 19+ DAT. This is assuming you meet all other requirements, i.e. physical, background check, etc.

thanks DentalOH. I have 3.2 GPA(cornell engineering) and 24AA. What is my chance at air force? also, new york and delaware now require one year GPR for licensure, or two years of experience in another state. does payback time in military count toward the above requirement as i come back to obtain NY license?

Current policy for Navy is to accept an HPSP package without a letter of acceptance; then reveiw, process, and board the package, and give apporval all the way up to final acceptance so that when the applicant does get accpeted to a school all they have to do is go to their local recruiter and swear in.