Military orthodontist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yakuza

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be under Navy HPSP but I want to become an orthodontist. From what I've read, there's not much need for orthodontists in the military so will I be practicing as a general dentist or orthodontist (after ortho program/residency) when I serve my 4 payback yrs?

And if I do practice as an orthodontist for the navy, does anyone here know the salary for that?

Also after dental school graduation, will the navy allow me to take on an non-navy orthodontic program?

Members don't see this ad.

So I will be under Navy HPSP but I want to become an orthodontist. From what I've read, there's not much need for orthodontists in the military so will I be practicing as a general dentist or orthodontist (after ortho program/residency) when I serve my 4 payback yrs?

And if I do practice as an orthodontist for the navy, does anyone here know the salary for that?

Also after dental school graduation, will the navy allow me to take on an non-navy orthodontic program?

So it looks like you decided to take the HPSP solely for the fiscal reason after all, very unfortunate for those that will be your peers.

I think the Navy most likely will allow you to do ortho out of school, they will even work with any school of your desire to create a spot specifically for you, followed by duty at the most optimal billet to fit your needs for private practice following your AD, and of course they will add an additional Yakuza pay on top of the standard military pays.

Best of luck

Best recommendation is to contact the Navy Graduate Education now and ask them about their policy on that type of training - their answer is the only one that matters. You can find them by googling.

Initially your pay as an orthodontist will be exactly the same pay as any other general dentist in the military. If you decide to stay in past your initial obligation (minimum of 7 yrs), then you will be eligible for the specialty retention bonus.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hate to break it to you, but you may have been misinformed. As someone who was in your position a few years ago I think I have more reliable info to offer.

The only disclaimer is that this is how it was when I was coming out of school. As you will find out, Navy policy may change, but I doubt it.

I applied for Ortho through the Navy right out of school. You first have to be accepted through the DUINS board. Of course I was not selected, because for a specialty like Ortho, they ONLY accept people who have been in a few years. Now if you apply for ENDO, OMFS, or Pros, you may have a shot of getting accepted right out of school.

I accepted my fate, did my AEGD and 2 more years. I applied last year for the DUINS board and was accepted. The way it works in the Navy is that there is 1 spot at the Tri Service Ortho Res Prog in San Antonio, then the rest apply for civilian programs which is known as "Outservice." If you Match, then the Navy will sponsor you and you will incur a 3 yr additional payback.

So unless you by some miracle get the Navy to allow you to do Ortho right out of school, you are looking at being a General Dentist for 4 years. Also the Navy is paying for you to be a Gen Dent.

I had a 3 yr payback so I applied for ortho after my 2nd year in the Navy while I was deployed to Iraq. I matched, then turned it down for a few reasons. You can also use the GI Bill to help with your res training.

As for salary. You make the same amount based on your rank not your specialty unless you are board certified or have completed your payback. Then you will be eligible for a multi year retention bonus of up to 50K per yr for a 4 yr contract.

Good luck. You have a long road but it can be done.

PM me if you have any other ?'s

More info...Below is a list of those who were accepted. Anyone with ENS in front of their name is right out of school. Everyone else will be in a minimum of 3 yrs when they start res.

Also, this yr they took 4 Ortho, but in the past it has usually been 2. They had to take 4 the last 2 yrs to catch up with the projected loss of orthodontists getting out. There are about 15 Ortho billets worldwide.

I mentioned the TORP program in San Antonio. The last few years the person who got that spot was the Admirals Aid. Their scores are usually lower and have the least chance of matching at a civ program.

Good luck.

SELECTEES FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN COMPREHENSIVE DENTISTRY
1. LCDR Preston Biggs Naval Hospital Sigonella, Italy
2. LCDR James Harris Naval Medical Center, San Diego
3. LT Jeremy Hayes Naval Branch Health Clinic, Gulfport
4. LT Joshua Henson USS Whidbey Island (LSD 41)
5. LT Jayson Huber 1st Dental BN/NDC, Camp Pendleton
6. CDR Chatchava Pongsugree Naval Health Clinic, Quantico
7. LT David Weldon 2D Dental BN/NDC, Camp Lejeune

SELECTEES FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN ENDODONTICS
1. CDR Richard Campbell Naval Hospital Bremerton
2. LCDR David Craig Naval Hospital Beaufort
3. LT Jeffrey Domark Naval Hospital Rota, Spain
4. LT Jeffrey Ferreira Naval Health Clinic, Hawaii
5. LCDR Nancy Osborne 1st Dental BN/NDC, Camp Pendleton
6. LT Christopher Oswald 1st Dental BN/NDC, Camp Pendleton
7. LT Verne Reed II USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72)
8. LCDR Steven Stokes Naval Postgraduate Dental School, NNMC Bethesda

Alternates:
1. LCDR Jay J. Geistkemper 3D Dental BN/ USNDC, Okinawa
2. ENS Cody Nelson University of Pittsburgh

SELECTEE FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN OPERATIVE DENTISTRY
1. LT Matthew Chang Naval Medical Center, San Diego
2. LT Matthew Dart U.S. Naval Mobile Construction BN Seven

SELECTEE FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL RADIOLOGY
1. LT Martin Evers Naval Hospital Beaufort

SELECTEE FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN ORAL & MAXILLOFACIAL PATHOLOGY
1. Dr Heather R. Johnson

SELECTEE FOR FELLOWSHIP TRAINING AT THE JOINT COMMISSION
1. CAPT Joanne Adamski Naval Branch Health Clinic, Kings Bay

SELECTEES FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN ORAL & MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY
1. LT Christopher Beale 2D Dental BN/NDC, Camp Lejeune
2. LT William Burke Naval Hospital Beaufort
3. ENS Drew Havard University of Mississippi
4. LT Christopher Henninger USS Boxer (LHD 4)
5. ENS Ricardo Ortiz-Rodriquez University of Puerto Rico
6. ENS David Rasmussen University of Louisville
7. LT Rhonda Roberts Naval Hospital, Bremerton
8. LT Andrew Tellington Naval Medical Center, San Diego

SELECTEE FOR FELLOWSHIP TRAINING IN FACIAL COSMETIC SURGERY
1. LCDR Christopher Crecelius USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72)

SELECTEES FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN ORTHODONTICS
1. LCDR Rasha Hanna Bureau of Medicine & Surgery, Washington DC
2. LT John Jerome 1st Dental BN/NDC, Camp Pendleton
3. LT Paul Kocian 2D Dental BN/NDC, Camp Lejeune
4. LT Allison Milliner Naval Medical Center, San Diego

Alternates:
1. LT Matthew Kriewaldt 1st Dental BN/NDC, Camp Pendleton
2. LT Stephen Yamodis 2D Dental BN/NDC, Camp Lejeune

SELECTEES FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY
1. LCDR Matthew Brady U.S. Naval Hospital, Naples, Italy
2. LT Melanie Broun 3D Dental BN/ USNDC, Okinawa
3. CAPT James Dibelka 1st Dental BN/NDC, Camp Pendleton

SELECTEES FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN PERIODONTICS
1. LT Jeffrey Draude 2D Dental BN/NDC, Camp Lejeune
2. LCDR Parra-Betancourt Naval Medical Center, San Diego
3. LT Brandon Peterson Naval Health Clinic, Great Lakes
4. LT Vinh Ton 1st Dental BN/NDC, Camp Pendleton

SELECTEES FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN PROSTHODONTICS
1. LCDR Rene Alova Naval Health Clinic, New England
2. LCDR Vinh Doan 3D Dental BN/ USNDC, Okinawa
3. LT Edward Givens Naval Hospital Beaufort
4. LT Maria Julia-Montanez 2D Dental BN/NDC, Camp Lejeune
5. ENS David Rusthoven University of Pennsylvania
6. ENS Eric Villareal Case Western Reserve University

SELECTEE FOR FELLOWSHIP TRAINING IN MAXILLOFACIAL PROSTHETICS
1. LT David Bell Naval Postgraduate Dental School, NNMC Bethesda

SELECTEE FOR DOCTORAL TRAINING FOR DENTAL RESEARCH
1. LCDR Michael Metz Naval Hospital Beaufort
2. CDR Jonathan Stahl Naval Medical Center, San Diego

I was wondering between army, navy, and air force which had most selectees for orthodontics training? I guess out of these three which would be for an aspiring orthodontist who also wants to serve for the military?

To answer one of the OP questions: At least in the Army, you will be working as an Ortho after your residency - not as a general dentist. Usually Orthos work side by side with OMS in jaw surgery cases.

Has it been 7 years already?