Military HPSP Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shnurek

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone doing a military scholarship this cycle? Does anyone know the open amount of slots for each branch, AF, Navy, Army?

Also, lets say you don't do the HPSP scholarship but later join the military, do they offer sign on bonuses or loan repayment options?

Its hard to find the details of this on the opto forums and its mostly older topics that I find.

Thanks for any info guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, lets say you don't do the HPSP scholarship but later join the military, do they offer sign on bonuses or loan repayment options?
HPSP is far and away the best option for military optometry.

There are signing bonuses and other programs for joining after graduation. They vary yearly by the needs of the various branches and don't come anywhere close to what you receive thru HPSP.

Anyone doing a military scholarship this cycle? Does anyone know the open amount of slots for each branch, AF, Navy, Army?

Its hard to find the details of this on the opto forums and its mostly older topics that I find.

Thanks for any info guys.

I am pursuing the navy HPSP 4 year scholarship for when I start at SCO next fall. Before you get your hopes up, and not to sound too negative, there are only ~5 slots open NATIONWIDE for this scholarship. I started on my application several months ago, and it is still not complete. I'm certainly not getting my hopes up, and just assume I will have to borrow to pay for school.
Anywho, they offer a 20k sign on bonus with acceptance to the HPSP program. Also, from what I have read there are other loan repayment possibilities through the military, but once you have graduated school and are practicing, the incentives seems a bit lackluster to me.
Finally, do you have any previous military experience? I personally did not, and when I was scheduled to go to MEPS (military entrance processing, took all day to do a basic physical examination--you know... hurry up and wait.) I was pretty shocked at how you are treated. You are treated, well, like military. Imagine that. Nothing like hopping around naked with 12 other dudes doing exercises and being bitched at when you ask a question.
You may also find the HSCP program interesting if you are interested in the military, but do not get the HPSP scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is NO $20k bonus for optometry. Dental and Medical only.

Financially, after school, you will really only earn the base pay, food, and housing bonus (generally around $65k/year for an O-3 with 1 year of experience). While Med and Dental officers earn specialty pay up to $30k/year on top of base pay the Optometry specialty gets, I believe, $1k/year for specialty pay (and that hasn't change in YEARS).

As has been said a billion times; going into the military for the scholarship and the scholarship only is not a very good idea.

http://www.military.com/Registration/Pay_Chart?backURL=2012-1pt6-Pct-Military-Pay

This will give you insight of the pay during repayment, you have to sign-up for military.com to use it, but it is free.

Source: LONG LONG discussions with Navy and Army dentists, optometrists, and physicians.

Last edited:

Financially, after school, you will really only earn the base pay, food, and housing bonus (generally around $65k/year for an O-3 with 1 year of experience). While Med and Dental officers earn specialty pay up to $30k/year on top of base pay the Optometry specialty gets, I believe, $1k/year for specialty pay (and that hasn't change in YEARS).

Wow then Physicians really take a huge pay cut. And also the military usually pulls them after their internship year to be a "flight surgeon" or something of that sort. So, they can't do residency until after they finished their duty to the military in a lot of cases. I think optos have it the best imo. Low chance of deploying and not such a huge pay cut. And from the 65k, 20k of it is not taxable so the civilian equivalent would be around 70k-75k? So, 90k vs. 70k not a very big difference to me. Plus, it seems way more exciting than lenscrafters :)

I am also very interested in military optometry. I have already been accepted into optometry school, could anyone provide me any guidance on how to go about the application process? Is there three year scholarships available in all branches? Any branch offer better incentives etc? Thank you.

Go to any of the branch pages and contact a recruiter, they will direct you from there. All branches are equal for HPSP incentives. Only Army and Navy do 3 years. Air Force starts at 2 years.

Last edited:
False, Air Force does offer 3 year as well. I think every other branch offers 4 year scholarships, not sure about that though.

False, Air Force does offer 3 year as well. I think every other branch offers 4 year scholarships, not sure about that though.

I've heard that! Every time I ask the stupid general recruiters they tell me otherwise. Time to talk to someone who actually knows.

You have to be very careful when talking to the recruiters at the mall. Very few are familiar with HPSP specifics and may promise you the world since it looks good for them to sign up a doctor.

You'll be better off talking to the medical-specific recruiters that each branch has, even if it's just by phone or better, email, since everything will be in writing.

The rules do change yearly depending on the needs of that particular branch. When they need to fill 20 slots, offers will be good, when its only 5, they may disapppear altogether.

As has been said a billion times; going into the military for the scholarship and the scholarship only is not a very good idea.

http://www.military.com/Registration/Pay_Chart?backURL=2012-1pt6-Pct-Military-Pay

This will give you insight of the pay during repayment, you have to sign-up for military.com to use it, but it is free.

Source: LONG LONG discussions with Navy and Army dentists, optometrists, and physicians.

Is the Scholarship alone.. enough reason !!! Sure it is ...its all about the money reduce your Degree cost by 3 yrs and get paid $2,000 stipend a month while in school,
graduate and step right into a comparable salary with tax breaks , get great experience and benefits..there is not much of a down side in this market...its a no brainer !

I applied for the 3-year Air Force HPSP. I've heard there are 12 scholarships for this year. My application made it to the October board, and I heard back beginning of December. Some of my friends made it to the November board, and will hear back end of January. Right now, I'm just waiting for scroll validation, I think it's some important signature to complete the scholarship. I'm not really sure on the entire selection process, but for my application to get to the selection board, I had to complete MEPS, the application packet, and applicant questionnaire, and whatever other random forms my recruiter had me fill out. After the decision from the boards, my recruiter sent me forms to complete my background check. After that, I looked over the contract and it says 3 years HPSP for 3 years of Active duty and 5 years of reserve. But before I can sign all that, I have to wait for scroll validation. Most optometry schools have recruiters that come to talk to you about the scholarship opportunity. Ask them. Or go to airforce.com and they'll put you in touch with a recruiter in your area. Sorry I don't know too much myself, this is all the info I have. Hopefully someone who is in the program could comment. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
After that, I looked over the contract and it says 3 years HPSP for 3 years of Active duty and 5 years of reserve.

What does the 5 years of reserve entail? That's scary, a possibility of 8 years of service. I'm guessing most finish up after 3 years? Anywho, I heard there were only 9 scholarships this year and they halted all scholarships after like December 10th. Something to do with government budget cuts.

What does the 5 years of reserve entail? That's scary, a possibility of 8 years of service. I'm guessing most finish up after 3 years? Anywho, I heard there were only 9 scholarships this year and they halted all scholarships after like December 10th. Something to do with government budget cuts.
In almost every case, you can choose to do these additional years with an active Reserve unit (1 weekend/month + 2 weeks/year) OR Inactive Ready Reserve (basically, you do nothing but are "on-call") Reserves stand a decent chance of being activated at some point for a few months to a year. IRR has close to zero chance of being activated unless WW3 broke out.

Most HPSP docs choose IRR if they want to do their time and be done and choose Reserves if they liked the lifestyle a little or want to accumulate enough "points" to qualify for a military pension after 20+ years.

I would really like details on the application process. What makes a strong applicant vs a weak applicant?

Also, is there any personal experiences from optometrists who have actually gone through it???

You may also find the HSCP program interesting if you are interested in the military, but do not get the HPSP scholarship.

FYI, the Navy's HSCP is on the books (and the internet) as an accession program for Optometry, but in my talks with the Medical Service Corps detailer (the officer community for all Navy Optometrists) I was told that their quota has been zero for several years running, and with no changes forecast. I was keenly interested in pursuing such a slot, but unfortunately HPSP is the only way to go for now. So for those few who have even heard of HSCP for optometry and are interested, don't get your hopes up (but still verify with your Medical Programs Officer Recruiter when you are ready to apply).

I would really like details on the application process. What makes a strong applicant vs a weak applicant?

Also, is there any personal experiences from optometrists who have actually gone through it???

Are you enrolled in/accepted to a program?

If you search my prior posts, you'll find my experiences, which were positive for the most part.

Had colleagues who only did it to pay for school and were miserable.

Prior military service, high undgergrad GPA, and being in the top third during your first year at one of the well-established (especially the state schools) gives you the best odds.

I applied for the 3-year scholarship and the 2-year from the Air Force. There were only a handful available. I received a 2-year scholarship! I applied a little late for the 3 year scholarship (since i only have 2 and a little remaining)

I accepted it and have since been commissioned as a 2nd Lt, and am waiting to complete commissioned officer training either this summer or when I graduate. I am finishing up my second year now. My stipend and scholarship begins in August.:thumbup:

For me, it was a no-brainer to join the Air Force. The rest of my education is paid for. I have a job when I graduate; one that will give me great training and experience. Comparing the cons to the pros...the pros far outweigh the cons.

If anyone wants info on the process I could give some pointers, or point you into the right direction and get you into contact with the right people.

I am also very interested in military optometry. I have already been accepted into optometry school, could anyone provide me any guidance on how to go about the application process? Is there three year scholarships available in all branches? Any branch offer better incentives etc? Thank you.

I applied for the 4 year Navy scholarship. I talked a lot with both Navy and Air Force optometrists who did the program and Navy seemed like a better fit for me.

This year, Navy is only offering 4 year scholarships and there are only 3. They've taken up 5 applications for review and closed it to any more applicants for the scholarships starting this August (from what I've been told). It's a very very long application process. I started it in August and am still waiting for an answer. The one and only board was supposed to be late November, then early December, and then I heard it actually happened in late January...needless to say, it's not a very clear process! Definitely apply at least a year before you want to start the scholarship if you really want a good shot at it. I worked through a medical recruiter. That's definitely who you should work through if you use a recruiter. And *stay on top of your recruiter*...do not just wait for them to call you.

As for the AF, they have 2 and 3 year scholarships, but I believe both require 3 years of active duty. I heard from an optometrist that you have to choose from the leftover assignments no one else wanted and his year it was like Alaska, South Dakota, and 4 others I'm forgetting. But I imagine that changes a lot every year depending on what opens up.

Options for assignments do change yearly.

For all branches, OD's usually get a 3 or 4 year posting for their first assignment. Only certain slots are held for new O-3's (your initial rank), it might be Hawaii & it might be South Korea. You may be able to request a listing of all OD's on active duty & it will often list when they started their tour You want to look at what OD's have been in one spot for ~3 years already to see what's going to open up.

Quite often, they'll ask you to list your 3-4 top preferences & there's a decent chance you may get one of them. Remember that typically a Major will be replaced by another Major, so focus on the O-3's on the list.

They do take marital status into account as well. If your single, you are more likely to be sent to a more remote location or a unit that may be deployed to a war zone (though can happen if you're married too).

Last edited:
You can contact your local AF health professionals recruiter once you're accepted into an optometry school and start the application process right away as there are many steps involved. The selection board is held in Nov/Dec.

As for the AF, they have 2 and 3 year scholarships, but I believe both require 3 years of active duty. I heard from an optometrist that you have to choose from the leftover assignments no one else wanted and his year it was like Alaska, South Dakota, and 4 others I'm forgetting. But I imagine that changes a lot every year depending on what opens up.

As far as initial duty stations go, you really have to keep in mind that not every location will be available. I would not say that you are offered only leftover assignments, but those "leftovers" might be the only locations available at that time. If you have always wanted to go to Colorado and no assignments are available, you won't go to Colorado.

If you ever get the chance for an assignment to Alaska, do it in a heartbeat. Great location.

do any of the branches require minimum OAT scores to apply for the scholarship?

do any of the branches require minimum OAT scores to apply for the scholarship?

to answer your question, NO

all of the branches require admittance to an accredited program.
its the individual programs that determine their own minimum OAT scores.

so...if youve been admitted to an accredited school of optometry, and they accepted your OAT scores...the military looks no further

however....it is a competitive scholarship program with only a handful of scholarships available per year nation-wide...in this case they will weigh your GPA and your OAT against the other candidates. if you are more competitive, you serve a better chance of receiving the scholarship.

I also applied for the Navy HPSP this year but I haven't heard any news yet. Does anyone know whats going on? Last I heard from my recruiter, we were supposed to hear back sometime in Feb.

After people are accepted to HPSP, what exactly they have to go through to actually become a military optometrist? Are there any basic training involved beforehand or you simply go work for them after you are licensed?

After people are accepted to HPSP, what exactly they have to go through to actually become a military optometrist? Are there any basic training involved beforehand or you simply go work for them after you are licensed?

You'll meed to complete an Officer Basic Training course before getting your permanent assignment. It's not the traditional "boot camp" you see it movies, but it does involve early morning physical training, weapons, and a lot of classroom time to learn all the dos and don't of military life (there's a lot of them!).

If at all possible, try to complete this course before you graduate. You'll get a jump start on most of your colleagues and might get a better choice of assignments. It may also mean you'll have an earlier Date Of Rank, so you might "outrank" others in your year group because you were sworn in as an O-3 earlier.

You'll meed to complete an Officer Basic Training course before getting your permanent assignment. It's not the traditional "boot camp" you see it movies, but it does involve early morning physical training, weapons, and a lot of classroom time to learn all the dos and don't of military life (there's a lot of them!).

If at all possible, try to complete this course before you graduate. You'll get a jump start on most of your colleagues and might get a better choice of assignments. It may also mean you'll have an earlier Date Of Rank, so you might "outrank" others in your year group because you were sworn in as an O-3 earlier.

Thanks!:) Would you tell me more about the physical and weapon training and the level of intensity?

Last edited:
Thanks!:) Would you tell me more about the physical and weapon training and the level of intensity?
Anyone who was a high school athlete, male or female, won't have trouble with the PT (running, push-ups, sit-ups, etc).

Usually will be trained and have to qualify with a side-arm.
May also be trained on semi-auto rifles.

Anyone who was a high school athlete, male or female, won't have trouble with the PT (running, push-ups, sit-ups, etc).

Usually will be trained and have to qualify with a side-arm.
May also be trained on semi-auto rifles.

Sounds fun :)

Navy. I'm active duty Navy so I really didn't have too much of a choice.

would you happen to know why they offer the HPSP scholarship instead of just posting on job boards and commissioning people who are already ODs? I was trying to convince my family to let me do the program but they're still skeptical and they brought up that point

would you happen to know why they offer the HPSP scholarship instead of just posting on job boards and commissioning people who are already ODs? I was trying to convince my family to let me do the program but they're still skeptical and they brought up that point

You can get a direct commission as an Optometrist, its just based on the needs of the military at the time. They prefer getting their doctors, of all types, through the scholarships because A. the are usually younger ie more fit and B. you owe them a commitment that is harder to get out of.

Not sure what you mean by your family letting you join, but the decision to join the military is entirely up to you.

optsuker said:

the course is actually called Commissioned Officer Training or COT, and unfortunately optometrists under the HSPS only enter into COT immediately upon graduation en route to their first assignment. Its in the standard issue contract. So there is no way to "outrank" as an O-3, maybe you could have more time in rank as O-1 than your fellow optometry HSPS candidates at COT. The officer training is performed after graduation, not prior. However if you were a Dental student or Medical student, you would report to COT while still in school.

the course is actually called Commissioned Officer Training or COT, and unfortunately optometrists under the HSPS only enter into COT immediately upon graduation en route to their first assignment. Its in the standard issue contract. So there is no way to "outrank" as an O-3, maybe you could have more time in rank as O-1 than your fellow optometry HSPS candidates at COT. The officer training is performed after graduation, not prior. However if you were a Dental student or Medical student, you would report to COT while still in school.
I completed the course between 3rd & 4th years of optometry school.
I was sworn in an hour after graduation, took 2 weeks off and was practicing by June 1 (didn't even have to wait for my state license).
My class was mostly med students with about 20 dental and a dozen optmetry students.

hmm, interesting! the rules must have changed a little in the last couple of years
Could be, but I was originally told the same thing, & found out it wasn't the case (my recruiter just didn't know).

One other thing noone may tell you, if you complete one of your 4th year rotations at a military facility, you can actually be on active duty while you do it and received 0-1 pay and other benefits (mine even covered the plane ticket to get there and a rental car).