Military following vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, at first I thought I was getting ahead of myself (only accepted last week) but I've been looking into the option of the US Army for veterinary - From what I understand it is a 3 year commitment.

Normally I would wait till the very end of my schooling to see if it is still something I am interested in, but it seems all the pro's are front loaded (if you don't sign with them early, you miss out).

Also, I am very interested in Lab Animal.

Anyone take the military option? Anyone know anyone who has? Do they allow you to do your residency (LAM) with them while you are fulfilling your commitment?

They are slippery bastards I know, as in Med. they say "You can do your residency with the military", but then it ends up not counting towards your commitment time with them. (even when asked straight out they dodged the answer, but that was the Navy and Human med.)

Already spoke to a rep., she didn't fill me with confidence.

Seems like full loan forgiveness, a monthly stipend, decent new graduate salary, and chance to do residency with them is pretty damn good. Whats the catch? Besides its the Army?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi NoImagination,

I can answer some of this since I come from a military family and my SO is in the army. I am actively pursuing HPSP for vets. I have always been interested in what the service has to offer because of my interest in public health. I have been working with a recruiter and I personally know several army/air force vets. I have also contracted with the air force working with their public health program where most of their vets are.

The Lab Animal Residency does NOT count towards your commitment. And the commitment is 8 years, not 3. 3 years active duty and 5 years IRR (inactive reserves meaning you are not in the army but can be called up if they really need you, and no weekend commitments). For meidical doctors they are allowed to get their internship/residencies right out of med school, however, for vet students I am pretty sure you have to do 3 years, then you can apply do your residency assuming you are in a place in your military career that you can do so. They view your residency as 'education'. So after your residency, you owe them more time to pay that back. So you are probably looking at approximately 10-12 years active duty.

Residencies of course for vets are limited, mostly public health or lab animals, but there are a slight few clinical residencies available. The air force/navy puts their veterinarians into strictly public health programs while the army does do both, but even then the majority of your time will probably be zoonotic disease control, public health, and food inspection. However, there is clinical work always to be found at your station so you won't be totally devoid of it.

The thing about the HPSP is that is does look very good because of the money side so alot of people apply viewing it as a scholarship and not really wanting to serve in the military so after school is done, they are usually miserable in the military. Hence some of the disgrunteled members over there on the military medicine forum. Plus it turns the military into a revolving door which is not good for the military service. However, if you want to serve in the military then go for it, it is a great opportunity if you can work in that environment.

I would strongly suggest contacting a Health care recruiter in your area (don't just stop by the first military recruiter you see in town). These people take good care of you and you don't have to trudge through alot of some of the BS that the other recruiters will give you. My recruiter actually flew me out to an army base so I can shadow an army vet for a couple of days and talk with them about service. I can't say yours will do the same, but it is worth a shot. I actually did my physicals there too instead of having to go through MEPS, which believe me, you do not want to do that.

Hopefully someone actually in HPSP can comment more or correct anything I might have said that is off, but good LUCK!

Thanks athane,

While the career opportunities of the military (not just the $) sound great, not being able to do my residency while working towards my commitment is def. going to help me make up my mind in that situation.

I actually did speak to a HPSP (DVM), and was def. led to believe that I could do the residency while doing my commitment (made all sorts of statements like, you would work for DoD, huge demand for LAV, ect.)

I was also put off by the fact that my SO is in med school, as was contemplating the same program. They would not however guarantee that we would be stationed together (even as a married pair). So, if they couldn't guarantee that, I guess they don't need DVM's and MD's all that badly.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember though that if you do your 3 years active to pay off the 3 years of scholarship and then decide to do an internship/residency (which I believe you have to do anyway if you are going to stay in the army) you will be getting paid a regular salary (Captain's pay) while you do your internship rather than the pitiful 25K the institution would pay; it may also be easier to get an internship because you are "cheap" and the institution knows the Army is paying your salary so they don't have to, making you an attractive candidate.

I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, the recruiter will come in the spring and tell ya'll all about it. I can't do it because of hearing loss in my right ear, but I was seriously considering it before I realized I couldn't pass the physical.

I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, the recruiter will come in the spring and tell ya'll all about it. I can't do it because of hearing loss in my right ear, but I was seriously considering it before I realized I couldn't pass the physical.

I'm surprised they wouldn't make an exception for your hearing loss considering your role in the military. All the talk in the pre-vet thread about debt load has def. got me thinking again about it, and i've been doing some serious research about how often vets are called back after the 3 year commitment, so far seems pretty rare.

That said, there are still 2 major issues for me. I actually think I would enjoy my time with the military. Always thought I would be an interesting life experience - however my SO is in med school, destined to graduate a year before me.

Problem 1 is her residency.

Problem 2 is the Armies unwillingness to guarantee our stationing together (of course I'd understand that there would be times when we'd be apart, but I would want our main stations to be the same).

Considering they would be getting a 2 for 1 with us, I thought they would be more willing to make concessions.

I've been thinking about this casually, too, especially since I'm working with some military vets right now. I'm not sure if I'm cut out for military service, personally. I'd want to know a little more about it. I do know that you're right about not always getting stationed together, though. That's something I was surprised about, too. I've seen quite a few techs stationed with their spouses, but they all say they've spent quite a bit of time apart, too.

Man do I ever wish vet school was free. Also that it was 75 degrees and sunny all the time and that I got to work with baby puppies and kitties all day whose only problems are cured by love. ;)

So, at first I thought I was getting ahead of myself (only accepted last week) but I've been looking into the option of the US Army for veterinary - From what I understand it is a 3 year commitment.

Normally I would wait till the very end of my schooling to see if it is still something I am interested in, but it seems all the pro's are front loaded (if you don't sign with them early, you miss out).

Also, I am very interested in Lab Animal.

Anyone take the military option? Anyone know anyone who has? Do they allow you to do your residency (LAM) with them while you are fulfilling your commitment?

They are slippery bastards I know, as in Med. they say "You can do your residency with the military", but then it ends up not counting towards your commitment time with them. (even when asked straight out they dodged the answer, but that was the Navy and Human med.)

Already spoke to a rep., she didn't fill me with confidence.

Seems like full loan forgiveness, a monthly stipend, decent new graduate salary, and chance to do residency with them is pretty damn good. Whats the catch? Besides its the Army?

If you do your residency with them, you will owe them more time on active duty. For the vet school portion you will owe one year active duty for each year scholarship, plus 5 years on reserve. At least one of your active duty years is oversees. Also most active duty veterinarians are deployed now so don't let them lie and say you are unlikely to be.

... so don't let them lie and say you are unlikely to be.

You know, the truth is, if it wasn't the military, I would probably be all over it. If it was, say, industry, and they had the same conditions/strings attached to it (and opportunities) with an iron-clad legal contract, I would sign. Because I like everything about the military program, except what I don't know. From everyone I talk to says, what I don't know is pretty much anything the Military wants it to be.

In the end, it is the Military - and I just can't bring myself around to trusting them.

I am also considering Army, but I am more interested in the public health corps. Does anyone have any experience with them? It sounds like they are employed with in the government (NIH, CDC) plus have to respond to any domestic issues, but I haven't heard anything about overseas/ deployment. Anyone know?

As far as I know, only the AMEDD offers the loan reimbursement. If you wanted CDC, while i'm sure AMEDD is one way to go about it, it is probably not the most direct.

The recruiter I spoke to threw around words like DoD, NIH, CDC - but upon further research, those opportunities seemed few and far between.

If you find any information about other government programs that offer competitive loan reimbursement, please pass on this way.

Hi, I'm new to the forum so excuse me for not knowing how to quote things just yet. I'll learn in due time.

If both you and your spouse are active duty in the Army, you can request what is called "joint domicile" through your human resources officer. The army will go out of its way to keep a married couple together due to the fact that married Soldiers tend to stay in the Army longer when housed together. This can't always work though, since some army posts are male only. However, you and your spouse have a significant say in where you get stationed and this has never been a problem for my wife and I who are both in the Army. On the flipside of things, do be prepared to spend time apart due to training in schools like OBC and BOLC, which sometimes can take up to several months. Ask any military family, duel military or single, and they'll say that you'll spend time apart from each other. It's all part of it. But also consider that many civilian spouses spend time apart while pursuing thier master's, PhD, or even just a job during times like this.

As for the dangers involved. If you're an Army vet guess what, you're more than likely going to be deployed...that's part of being in the Army and shouldn't be a suprise to anyone. There are dangers involved. One of the highest ranking Soldiers to die in the War on Terrorism was Lieutenant Colonel Daniel Holland DVM, who lost his life in Iraq in 2006 due to a roadside bomb. If someone is hesitant about these risks, then the HPSP and the Army probably isn't for them.

In no way am I trying to undermine the HPSP, as I am a recipient and am very glad to have such an opportunity. I was an officer in the Army prior to vet school and feel very strongly that those who choose this path need to do so for the right reasons. Don't get me wrong, the money is an incentive, but I (along with any other Soldier) do not want to serve along side someone (who my life might depend on one day) who is there simply because they have to be, not because they want to be.
Just my two cents.

Hi, I'm new to the forum so excuse me for not knowing how to quote things just yet. I'll learn in due time.

Just hit the "Quote" button, then you can delete any aspect of the post you don't want quoted. Just leave everything inside the brackets untouched.

In terms of being stationed apart from time to time, we can live with that, as we are and will be, several hours apart for the next few years. My concern, is me as a DVM, and her as an MD - it seems it would be particularly difficult for us to be stationed together - and neither of us are willing to be stationed apart for long periods of time over 3+years. I don't mean to sound arrogant about this, but one of the biggest hurdles for us at the moment is the married pairing - and I would think it would be something they could work out, but we shall see.

As for the dangers involved. If you're an Army vet guess what, you're more than likely going to be deployed...that's part of being in the Army and shouldn't be a suprise to anyone.

You can also copy and paste different sections to quote from, just leave the brackets around the section.

If we did take this route, we would want to be deployed as often as possible. I mean, the military would be an amazing life experience for both of us - I can think of nothing worse then being stuck in the states the whole time (but thats a minor concern).

I appreciate your views and comments on this.

I was a Medical Service Corps officer and my wife was (and still is) an RN in the Army. From what I've seen, you and your spouse can be within a unit, usually of battalion to brigade size, so long as you are both within seperate chains of command. More or less what this means is that you and your spouse wouldn't interact in the work environment on a day to to basis, which is a good thing since it can be difficult for couples to take off the "married hat" and put on the "Army hat".

Being a married couple, you shouldn't have a problem since you would likely fall under veterinary command and your spouse would fall under another. The only major issue would be if you both want to stay in the Army as a career. As you both move up in rank, your options will begin to narrow as the two seperate commands begin to merge at a post. As a vet, you would have the option to work at a nearby Air Force or Naval base to avoid this scenario. The Army is the only branch that has vets. The veterinarians who work with the Navy or Air Force are either civilian contractors or assigned to them from the Army.

As for it being difficult to be stationed together right now, I don't think it would be as hard as it may seem. Most of the major Army posts have a level 2-3 trauma center that your spouse could be assigned, as well as a post veterinary clinic.

I hear you loud and clear on the deployment issue. She and I plan to volunteer for deployment when the other goes. Currently MDs and Dentists have 3 month deployments whereas nurses currently have 6 month deployments. I'm embarrased to say that I don't know the tour length is for DVMs but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
As for the dangers involved. If you're an Army vet guess what, you're more than likely going to be deployed...that's part of being in the Army and shouldn't be a suprise to anyone.

Thank you for posting. The reason I posted my comment is that there were several recruiters which flat out said to me and to a few of my classmates, "It is very unlikely that a veterinarian would get deployed." This was followed by multiple other things that I thought were lacking truth (you won't be sent to a dangerous area, you can chose what type of job you do, etc..)

When I was thinking about applying, all I wanted was the truth, and each time I met with my recruiter new stipulations were added. It made me very uncomfortable. I know the military is not something you should join if you do not want to go into battle. It just really bothered me how easy it was to get lied to.

No doubt. Many recruiters are lacking in the ethics department and will do anything to get you. Think of them as a job placement service that works on commission. Many don't really care about anything other than meeting the quota that's placed on them.

Example: When my wife was a junior in high school, she met with a recruiter and told him she wanted to be a medic. He told her that no medic slots were open at the time, BUT she could attend basic training as an MP and switch over later once a medic slot opened up. Everything in the last sentence was true, but at the same time a wad of BS. If she hadn't gotten into a college ROTC program as a nursing student, she'd have gone to Afghanistan as a 17-18 year old when her national guard unit deployed. Did the recruiter lie? No, because what he said is possible, but there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell they were going to switch someone out of a critcally short MOS like the MP Corps.

My advice to anyone thinking about joining ANY branch of the military is to talk to the people actually in those branches at great length, do tons of research on your own, and practically make up your mind before you even see the recruiter for the first time. That way you can talk to them in a way that they'll not try to pull wool over your eyes. Additionally, you can turn the table on them and be able to haggle sign on bonuses and special schools (like airborne, air assault, pathfinder, ect.) that they just so happened to fail to mention.

Hey,

I really appreciate that someone already started this discussion; I've been reading all of these posts and really appreciate all the input from those of you with experience in the army. I have been very interested in the program since before I applied to vet school (I was just recently accepted to WSU) BUT the fact is that I really know NOTHING about what it's like to be in the military, except for all of the images of boot camp and combat you see on TV, and of course the fact that I'll most likely be spending a good amount of time in an unstable country. (I'm still figuring out how I feel about that... I really want to work in places like that, and do some good, I'd just rather not be around people who want me dead because I'm in a uniform. I'm amazed and grateful for the sacrifices that so many soldiers make, mind you, I just want to make sure that I've got the same guts)

The traveling honestly doesn't bother me, nor does the idea of being away from a lot of conveniences... I wouldn't say that I'm eager to sign away eight years of my life for the government to do whatever they want with me, BUT I wouldn't consider myself being in this only for the money.

That being said, can someone who has been through the HPSP please tell me what your experience has been like? Do you go through regular boot camp at the beginning? Do you have to learn to shoot a gun and read a map and do all those things, even as a vet? The website makes it sound like that isn't even a part of this experience but I'm doubtful. (As is my boyfriend.)

AND secondly, my biggest concern, is what would it be like for a 28 year old woman, never having been in the military, to be a vet in the army? Do I have to live in barracks for three years while I'm active? What about if I'm married? Obviously housing overseas won't be pretty, but what about if I'm stationed in the states? Do I get an apartment and work like a normal person, just on a base?

I know this is a lot, but my biggest fear is that I'll go in expecting one thing and then be disappointed. I want to talk to people who have been there, and I figured this would be a good place to start.

Thanks!

Hi there!
Does anyone know where I can find an army vet in my area (philly)? Be nice to find someone to speak directly with - someone who's been there, done that....

(first post on the vet forum, btw :D)

AMEDD

You can contact them by email (I did a few weeks ago). Be specific about your questions, and they will be specific in their responses.

[email protected]

If you have already been accepted, and are still interested after talking with them, they will usually set something up. But as a previous poster mentioned, they will probably make a sales pitch at your vet school anyway.

The short answer is yes. You will have to learn how to shoot an M-4 or M-16 rifle, as well yes the M-9 pistol. You will have spend time training in a field environment, ect, ect. The reasons for this arn't to make your life difficult, but to provide you with skills necessary for your survival should the situation dictate. At the same time, realize that the Army does understand that you're a medical officer and doesn't expect you to be an infantry officer who goes around kicking in doors...which means the training will not be anywhere near intense as what you've seen in movies. Infact, it's actually quite enjoyable as long as you have a "can do" attitude. Finally, officers do not attend "boot camp" or basic training where drill sergeants are screaming at you 24/7.

Remember that most recruits going through basic training are fresh out of high school and haven't had a chance to "grow up" like those who have been out in the real world on their own for awhile. The Army knows that anyone who's a college graduate and applying to be an officer is more than likely a much more mature individual than a teen that's never had to buy their own toilet paper. Thus, most officer programs are more of a "gentleman's course" where it's simply expected that you'll behave in an acceptable manner and the instructors spend more time instructing rather than yelling.

Officers attend BOLC II and III, as well as OBC. I could describe these courses in detail, but if you google them you'll learn much more. The process is slightly different for medically oriented officers, but the programs are similar.

As for your question in regard to being a 28 year old female in the Army. In MY opinion, the Army has come a long way in sexual equality based upon regulations, but sadly there is still quite a way to go in how females are perceived by many male soldiers...That said, I personally know an officer who joined the Army as a mental health specialist while in her mid 40's, after being a high school principal. She absolutely loves the Army and wishes she would have joined earlier. Her age actually made her more of a mentor for younger Soldiers rather than an outcast.

Hope this helps and I wasn't too long winded.

Hope this helps and I wasn't too long winded.

While I'm not particularly interested in military service, this was a fascinating thread to read, and I think that ALL of the information provided here will be immensely helpful to someone trying to make a decision.

Thanks Airborne Vet for telling it like it is.. I know recruiters sugarcoat it to get their numbers. Being prior navy and my husband active airforce, it is a hard life at times. Alot of people look at the pros and don't realize the cons. Thank you for your service and dedication and that we can lay our heads down at night in freedom!

hi i have been kinda skimming the topic and I am interested in doing this scholarship. I fully understand all the committments necessary.

however,
i do have a question about a physical. i can't see out of my left eye (blind due to an injury) so i am assuming i can't pass the physical. correct?

i spoke to different people and different people told me different stories.

Your pre-podiatry? or Pre-Vet?

Dont think it matters how well you can see out of a single eye - they tend to make huge exceptions for qualified individuals.

Have you spoken to a Military rep? Don't think you can truly understand what is required of you if you haven't actually spoken to the military (and if you did, I would have thought being blind in one eye would have come up?!)

Also, don't think of this as a scholarship - its not.

I considered it for a while....but I can't deal with not having a real say in where I live. I absolutely need that choice, can't be shipped around and someone else's whim.

It is especially hard if you're in a serious relationship....my SO is finishing his PhD and entering medical school, and intends to head clinical trials for drug development; we're both very dedicated people and need to be able to compromise on where to live and what to do. we've been spending the last month sitting down and working through various options and locations for my residency/PhD and his med school. It wouldn't be fair to ask him to just pick up and follow me; he does not want to go military either. I couldn't ask someone to kick their dreams to the curb because I wanted a good military salary. Even if you aren't in a relationship now, it is something to consider.

Thank you Stoby08, for you and your family's service to this great country.

Maconway, I've seen a qualified nurse medically discharged from the Army due to exercise induced asthma. Yet I've read storied about amputees returning to active duty minus an arm/leg...go figure.

I'm not sure about being blind in one eye. Like No Imagination said, there's usually a waiver for anything under the right circumstances. However, it may be a bit more difficult these days to get a waiver than a few years ago. Many people who don't require waivers are turning to the military due to the economy.

If you're serious, contact multiple branches (Army / Navy / AF / Coast Guard / Marines) for more info, as well their multiple components (Active / Reserve / Guard / Auxilary / ect). Each usually recruits independantly of the other.

If you're going the vet route, only contact the Army. If you're going podiatry, go with all of the above (I think?). The military medicine forum is a place to look for HPSP info.

Good luck!

Your pre-podiatry? or Pre-Vet?

Dont think it matters how well you can see out of a single eye - they tend to make huge exceptions for qualified individuals.

Have you spoken to a Military rep? Don't think you can truly understand what is required of you if you haven't actually spoken to the military (and if you did, I would have thought being blind in one eye would have come up?!)

Also, don't think of this as a scholarship - its not.

I don't know that that is true. The scholarship is EXTREMELY competitive. They have many more qualified applicants apply than they accept, so I doubt they would make health clearance exceptions.

I don't know that that is true. The scholarship is EXTREMELY competitive. They have many more qualified applicants apply than they accept, so I doubt they would make health clearance exceptions.

I've been hearing that more and more lately. 4-5 years ago, it seemed like the Army was desperate for Vets, now, i've been hearing that they (the positions) are harder to get.

About the medical waiver, everything I've heard (by talking to AMEDD) is, if you are qualified, they will get you in. Apparently they will waive the age limit (I think 35?), physical requirements, (One student in the program I know, has no sense of smell), ect. - So blind in one eye, but can still do your job well, who knows - perhaps harder to get that waiver now if they have a lot of applicants.

and... Why do people keep calling it a scholarship? Am I wrong, and is it a scholarship? I think of scholarships as being free money to go to school with because your "FILL IN THE BLANK" - but not Military with commitment steps. Not sure the correct term, but Stipend (or perhaps Fellowship) would be more accurate.

Last edited:
I've been hearing that more and more lately. 4-5 years ago, it seemed like the Army was desperate for Vets, now, i've been hearing that they (the positions) are harder to get.

About the medical waiver, everything I've heard (by talking to AMEDD) is, if you are qualified, they will get you in. Apparently they will waive the age limit (I think 35?), physical requirements, (One student in the program I know, has no sense of smell), ect. - So blind in one eye, but can still do your job well, who knows - perhaps harder to get that waiver now if they have a lot of applicants.

and... Why do people keep calling it a scholarship? Am I wrong, and is it a scholarship? I think of scholarships as being free money to go to school with because your "FILL IN THE BLANK" - but not Military with commitment steps. Not sure the correct term, but Stipend (or perhaps Fellowship) would be more accurate.

People call it a scholarship because the army named it the Health Professions Scholarship Program. I think around 10 people applied from our class last year, 2 were accepted.

I think it's also called a scholarship because you compete to get it - it's not like you sign up and get it automatically.

The Army guy I talked to said the competitiveness really varies by year. From my internet searches it does seem that they have given out an increasing amount each year though.

People call it a scholarship because the army named it the Health Professions Scholarship Program. I think around 10 people applied from our class last year, 2 were accepted.

Yeah - i looked it up - guess the do consider it a scholarship... not the context I've ever seen the word used. Also, had no idea it was so competitive... 1/5 (from your class anyway) seems pretty steep

I just remembered, the numbers I was told (at interviews? I forget) was about 25% get the three year scholarship. However, of those that apply for the two year scholarship (ie re-apply during 2nd year), pretty much everyone gets it. FYI you have the same service obligation regardless of the length of your scholarship (and if for some reason you apply at the end of 3rd year there is a one year scholarship available with the same service obligation).

If you're going the vet route, only contact the Army.

Although I worked with lots of Air Force veterinarians that were sent back to additional schooling (MPH) post-vet school by the Air Force, so they do pay for some schooling. It just seems like they're not putting people through vet school at the moment. Though it seems like it might not hurt to try and figure that out directly from a source in Air Force recruitment.

I was told that only the Army had vets, and all the other branches outsourced from them?! You saying you can be a vet with the Air Force (and not Army working with Air Force?!)

The army is the only branch that has a Veterinary Corps and whose vets do actually clinical work (not much but a little). For actual veterinary work, branches use army veterinarians.

Air Force is the only other branch that has veterinarians but they are Public Health Officers . . all public health work.

So yes, you can be in the air force and be a vet, but you will not be in the veterinary corp but you will be a public health officer . ITs hard to explain if you have no prior military experience.

If you're going the vet route, only contact the Army

Not sure why this would be the case. I just last week talked to a health care recruiter from the air force and they are still encouraging vet students to apply and have HPSP available for vet students.

It all depends on the person. If you really don't want to go into the army and want something a little more cushier, then go talk to a health care recruiter in the air force. In the end, the air force is alot more amenable to people with families and cushier when speaking about deployments.

If you don't mind roughing it a little also talk to the army. I would advise talking to both health care recruiters in the army and air force to get both perspectives if you are really serious about it.

Hi I'm new to this site so I'm not sure if I'm even posting this is the right place.

I am currently a 3rd year student in veterinary school and would very much like to direct commission into the Army Veterinary Corp upon graduation. While I've had no trouble finding a recruiter to tell me all about the HPSP I'm having a VERY difficult time trying to find out further information on direct commissioning.

Specifically, I was wondering what the timeline for the application process to direct commission should be. Is early commissioning still an option (I know it existed quite a few years ago)? How early can I take my physical (since they're good for 2 years)? Can I begin the process BEFORE I graduate so I'm ready to start and know I have a job? Who is the best person to contact for further information since my schools HPSP recruiter has been unable to answer any of my questions (going on 9 months now). I greatly appreciate help with these questions! It would be wonderful to talk with someone who has commissioned into the Army Veterinary Corp.

P.S. Please don't copy and paste things off of the U.S. Army Veterinary Corp website and send it to me. I'm very familiar with this information.

Last edited:
I am currently a 3rd year student in veterinary school and would very much like to direct commission into the Army Veterinary Corp upon graduation. While I've had no trouble finding a recruiter to tell me all about the HPSP I'm having a VERY difficult time trying to find out further information on direct commissioning. In fact, my HPSP recruiter said there were ZERO openings for direct commissioning into the Army Vet Corp right now and that if I wanted to join it would HAVE to be through the HPSP. I don't believe him.

Specifically, I was wondering what the timeline for the application process to direct commission should be. Is early commissioning still an option (I know it existed quite a few years ago)? How early can I take my physical (since they're good for 2 years)? Can I begin the process BEFORE I graduate so I'm ready to start and know I have a job? Who is the best person to contact for further information since my schools HPSP recruiter has been unable to answer any of my questions (going on 9 months now). I greatly appreciate help with these questions! It would be wonderful to talk with someone who has commissioned into the Army Veterinary Corp.

I understand you don't want copy/paste, but it seems to answer the basic question of whether it is possible here:

http://vetopportunities.amedd.army.mil/dc.html

which includes contact info.

Just gonna throw this out there but what about the veterinary reserve? They are willing to pay up to around 50K for student loans and it seems it follows the same 1 weekend a month/2 weeks a year as all other aspects of the army reserve. Just wondeirng how that might workout now that I am a new graduate and would like to take advantage of the my internship but also the veterinary reserve.

Just gonna throw this out there but what about the veterinary reserve? They are willing to pay up to around 50K for student loans and it seems it follows the same 1 weekend a month/2 weeks a year as all other aspects of the army reserve. Just wondeirng how that might workout now that I am a new graduate and would like to take advantage of the my internship but also the veterinary reserve.

I know a lot of reservists in general. Do NOT ever assume that it will actually be 1 weekend/2weeks; reservists aren't actually part-timers...they are on the pay BECAUSE they can and are activated. Unless you are ok with activation, do not go this route. Husband was a reservist with specialized (not a specialty, but he wrote some books) on ambush prevention. He got called up for ~6mo in his last year as reservist to sit in Germany doing essentially nothing. You are at the whim of the government and military.