military dentists - sent into warzones?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pauljeekim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'll be enrolling in dental school this fall, and i've been considering the military scholarship for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years of schools, seeing as how i didn't get around to applying this year...

but the question is... when i graduate and become a practicing dentist in the military, what are the chances of being sent to a war zone - such as afghanistan, iraq, or whichever war we might involved with at the time? do dentists get sent to those areas? i feel that they might not, as most of the soldiers there are on one year tours, and return to the states after. and i'm assuming that the dentists would remain on the base, or in civilian bases in whichever foreign country they may be stationed.

so, for anyone who has experience, or knowledge of this, i would greatly appreciate any information, statistics, or even opinions. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I know of a dentist who just got out of the Navy and was assigned to a Marine encampment in Iraq for his 4 years. He said you are not going to see front line stuff, but you definitely can be sent to the military hot spots around the world.

really? dang...

hmmm, i may have to think about this a bit.... thanks. ^_^

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a dentist who just got out of the Navy and was assigned to a Marine encampment in Iraq for his 4 years. He said you are not going to see front line stuff, but you definitely can be sent to the military hot spots around the world.

Correction: he spent a total of 2 years in Iraq off and on with Marines during his commitment.

I think it depends more on the branch. Like another post said...he knows someone who served w/ the Marines while in the Navy...that's b/c the Marines are an off-shoot of the Navy. Army..there's a chance...Air Force...not so much. I do know that, more often the not, the people who get sent into $hitsville are the people who make a career in the military..but of course there are always exceptions. And, as was already said....no front line stuff...it'd be kinda stupid to put a dentist there. My uncle has gone to Iraq twice and has worked w/ dentists...he's a surgeon...but he told me those were the guys that, as i said, were making careers as military dentists. you're more likely to get sent to places where they do more medical support...like Italy or Germany. But hell, if the Dems get their way...all this crap will be over in about 1 1/2 yrs...long before we get out of school.

Do you guys know if Navy SEALs also have careers on the side? Or is it constant training and active duty?

are a different breed. I've worked with a fair number of them as they used to jump out of my plane. No, they don't have side jobs. A Seal is a Seal is a Seal. If you're interested in becoming a Seal, forget about dentistry. If you want more info PM me and I'll tell you what I know.

Yea i was going ot say...I cant see a SEAL having a side job. And if you by some chance were thinking "dentist" as a side job...dont :laugh: I've met a handful of SEALs and those guys make awesome soliders...not dentists

i see... thanks for the information.

one more question.. before signing the hpsp contract, is it possible to request a specific deployment? i asked this in the military dentistry forum, but there have been no replies yet.. i am interested in being stationed in korea, and was thinking two years there. i heard that it would be fairly easy to get this deployment if requested, as it is considered a 'hardship' duty... however, i would like to know more definitely... hence asking for it before signing up for hpsp...

is this possible?

thanks.

i see... thanks for the information.

one more question.. before signing the hpsp contract, is it possible to request a specific deployment? i asked this in the military dentistry forum, but there have been no replies yet.. i am interested in being stationed in korea, and was thinking two years there. i heard that it would be fairly easy to get this deployment if requested, as it is considered a 'hardship' duty... however, i would like to know more definitely... hence asking for it before signing up for hpsp...

is this possible?

thanks.

Unless I'm mistaken...I dont think you can come out of dschool on the HPSP and be sent overseas...I think they will station you stateside. Also, you wont know where you are going until dschool is almost over. I think you can "request" where you'd like to go..but the ultimate decision is based on military need. So from what I understand you dont really have much pull in saying where you want to go...I'm going on the AF HPSP and this is what my recruiter basically told me, and I think I remember reading it somewhere. But I could very well be wrong...best bet is to call up a recruiter or try to talk to someone who is nearing the end of their HPSP.

I believe that you may request 3 to 5 bases that you prefer to be stationed at upon graduation and the AF will attempt to accomodate you. I also believe that your first assignement will not be oversease, but after your first assignment you may go oversease (3 years min. or so). If you plan on staying in long enough, I wouldnt worry about getting a post in Korea as I can't imagine them being in high demand.

But, as the above poster said, your best bet is to actually speak with a recruited. Also, again, get everything in writing...recruiters get paid to get you in, not to give you the correct information.

Unless I'm mistaken...I dont think you can come out of dschool on the HPSP and be sent overseas...I think they will station you stateside. Also, you wont know where you are going until dschool is almost over. I think you can "request" where you'd like to go..but the ultimate decision is based on military need. So from what I understand you dont really have much pull in saying where you want to go...I'm going on the AF HPSP and this is what my recruiter basically told me, and I think I remember reading it somewhere. But I could very well be wrong...best bet is to call up a recruiter or try to talk to someone who is nearing the end of their HPSP.

Same thing came from my recruiter as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im writing this as a Subordinate Veteran. Becoming a Dentist in the military wont make u exempt/less likely to going overseas/war zones. Usually dentist are in medical support hospital units which deploy fairly constant. Now yeah you will be assign to a unit on Conus (US) and have ur office on post and what not, but when they call to active duty pack ur things and go. As far as requesting where u want to be station after school u can request but as mention earlier is up to the military to decide where to put u.
One last thing dont matter if u r not frontline I served in areas in Iraq where we got hit by mortars quiet often, so u get the idea; and as far as recruiters not to sound harsh but they just want you in, u r just one more # on their pay-list, so said that go and do research by urself first... then talk to them if u feel the need to.

Im writing this as a Subordinate Veteran. Becoming a Dentist in the military wont make u exempt/less likely to going overseas/war zones. Usually dentist are in medical support hospital units which deploy fairly constant. Now yeah you will be assign to a unit on Conus (US) and have ur office on post and what not, but when they call to active duty pack ur things and go. As far as requesting where u want to be station after school u can request but as mention earlier is up to the military to decide where to put u.
One last thing dont matter if u r not frontline I served in areas in Iraq where we got hit by mortars quiet often, so u get the idea; and as far as recruiters not to sound harsh but they just want you in, u r just one more # on their pay-list, so said that go and do research by urself first... then talk to them if u feel the need to.
It truly depends on your recruiter, I've met with recruiters from all 3 branches and some will give it to you straight and some will fib a little. For the most part, my experience has been that they're actually a very good source of information. And the military just invested a quarter to a half million dollars into you. They're not going to go get you killed off or crippled. They NEED you BADLY. And if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe a dentist hass been killed in a war since the Korean war? Isn't that right?

All of Iraq and Afganastan is considered a war zone. Most dentists being sent are rank CAP. In the Army or Army gaurd there is a high chance (almost assured) that you will be sent to a hostile place. Iraq, and Afganastan are not the only hostile places we have.

Wherever our troops go so does it's medical and deantal personell. Even if you get lucky and pull a TDA assignement you might be assigned to an TOE assignment at another base for deployment purposes. A CAP is more likely to go than a COL.

If war is of big concern I would suggest Air Force or Public health Service. There are some of us dentists that do collect a dissability.

I am a member of the US Air Force and I can tell you that you will most likely go overseas and as an officer you usually move every 2 years. It doesn't matter which branch, you will get deployed. That is the world we live in. That being said, the majority of dentists and officers in that type of career field will not get deployed as much as an aircraft mechanic or security forces(enlisted) guy/gal. You must have a love for the country because first and foremost you will be an airman, soldier, marine, or seaman. You will have differnet responsibilities then the average dentist and a lot more regulations etc.

Just to let you know, a lot of people think that everyone in the military is in Iraq right now. That is ridiculous, a lot of people in the military get amazing TDY's(temporary duty yonder, it's an old school term still used today...no joke) to places like spain, japan, australia, new zealand, thailand, germany, england, etc. Also don't listen to these people saying they know someone who said they spent 4 years in Iraq. At most you will spend a year most of the time it will be six months or less. Yes you can come home and get sent back but that is unusual; especially in the Air Force.

I am a member of the US Air Force and I can tell you that you will most likely go overseas and as an officer you usually move every 2 years. It doesn't matter which branch, you will get deployed. That is the world we live in. That being said, the majority of dentists and officers in that type of career field will not get deployed as much as an aircraft mechanic or security forces(enlisted) guy/gal. You must have a love for the country because first and foremost you will be an airman, soldier, marine, or seaman. You will have differnet responsibilities then the average dentist and a lot more regulations etc.

Just to let you know, a lot of people think that everyone in the military is in Iraq right now. That is ridiculous, a lot of people in the military get amazing TDY's(temporary duty yonder, it's an old school term still used today...no joke) to places like spain, japan, australia, new zealand, thailand, germany, england, etc. Also don't listen to these people saying they know someone who said they spent 4 years in Iraq. At most you will spend a year most of the time it will be six months or less. Yes you can come home and get sent back but that is unusual; especially in the Air Force.

So if I were to get the AF HPSP for 3 years (and I assume I would payback 3 years?) then would I have a good chance of being sent overseas and serve in two or more locations? I figured that if you only serve for 3 years, then you would just stay in once place and have a better chance staying stateside. I'm in pharmacy, but I'm sure it's treated the same as dentistry.

At most you will spend a year most of the time it will be six months or less. Yes you can come home and get sent back but that is unusual; especially in the Air Force.

I'm not in the Air Force (Navy), so I won't address the rest of your post, but there are many people in the Army who have done well over a year in Iraq. They're just starting to pull back the 15 month tours.

Remember also that the military will train you for combat situations.

Carbide burs to the heart or skull can act as a deadly weapon when you're out on the front line, bullets whizzing by, attempting to fix a toothache. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
As a dentist in the Army, Navy, Marines, or Air Force you will not go to a "war zone". It's not like you would set up a practice in the middle of baghdad. You would be on a base in the middle east. Some may still call this a "war zone" but it really isn't. In all likely hood you would go to Kuwait or someplace like that and be located on a base that is well guarded. Yes you might encounter a few mortar attacks, but as soon as one explodes our artillery lights up the mountain sides that the attack came from. Overall it isn't as safe as a civilian living in his or her apartment but it really isn't life or death like people think(as a dentist). The dentists that I know in the military(1 army and 2 air force) haven't been to Iraq because it's not like the military is going to sacrifice the mission so someone can get a cavity filled. the Medical field is different because of the injuries that happen during a conflict.

The way the military is ran is different then civilian. For the most part Dentists in the military do wisdom teeth and check ups. Enlisted people go to the dentist for check ups once a year on or around their birth month. Most of a military dentists time is alotted toward dependents(military family).

That is so untrue. Most of what dentists do in the military is fillings. All aspects of dentistry from ext to filling, to veneers, to dentures are done on military personell. Families are not treated with the exception of overseas bases and Fort Irwin in the USA.

The Army uses mobile dentistry vehicles. They are a Jeep with a hard top with a dental chair in it. They do dentistry out in the field if needed. Also the Army medical units are located in green and not so green zones in Iraq and Afganistan. These areas do go under attack. They would not keep support personell too far from the troops.

If you join the Army expect to get dirty and be in hostile situations. That is a fact and don't let anyone sway you different. Air Force is the better of the branches. In the Air Force you have less chance of ever being cought in the dirt.

As a dentist in the Army, Navy, Marines, or Air Force you will not go to a "war zone". It's not like you would set up a practice in the middle of baghdad. You would be on a base in the middle east. Some may still call this a "war zone" but it really isn't. In all likely hood you would go to Kuwait or someplace like that and be located on a base that is well guarded. Yes you might encounter a few mortar attacks, but as soon as one explodes our artillery lights up the mountain sides that the attack came from. Overall it isn't as safe as a civilian living in his or her apartment but it really isn't life or death like people think(as a dentist). The dentists that I know in the military(1 army and 2 air force) haven't been to Iraq because it's not like the military is going to sacrifice the mission so someone can get a cavity filled. the Medical field is different because of the injuries that happen during a conflict.

The way the military is ran is different then civilian. For the most part Dentists in the military do wisdom teeth and check ups. Enlisted people go to the dentist for check ups once a year on or around their birth month. Most of a military dentists time is alotted toward dependents(military family).

This is just patently false and you really shouldn't spread things as fact when you obviously don't know. There are a couple of dentists on this board that are CURRENTLY stationed in Iraq. Tell them they won't get sent there...

Perhaps, you should limit your statements to the Air Force. You obviously don't know much about the Army. To say that you will more than likely deploy to Kuwait rather than Iraq is flat out wrong. In the Army, there are basically three types of TO&E (field) slots you can be assigned to as a active duty dentist (there are others in the reserves and guard.)

BDE slots- Each brigade has an assigned dentist who deploys wherever the brigade goes. There are currently between 15 & 20 brigades in Iraq.

CSH slots- Each combat support hospital has a dentist slot and an oral surgeon slot. There a two CSH's in Iraq at any time.

Medical Company (Dental Services) slots- I haven't been in one of these units since '97, but this is how it worked then. Two dentists assigned and 15 dentists from a DENTAC who were profis and would go with the unit when they deploy. At least one DS unit in Iraq at a time. These dentists are spread throughout Iraq. We had two co-located with our CSH when I deployed.

That's at least 32 Army dentists in Iraq at any given time compared to a few in Kuwait.

Is it as dangerous a going on a patrol and kicking down doors? No, but that doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. Outbound artillery fire isn't going to do you any good if the mortars or rockets have already landed on your head.

We were lucky to go three days without a mortar or rocket attack. Our LSA was hit with a rocket and a few soldiers were hurt. One of the reserve dentists had a shallow scratch on his forearm. If he had been a little closer, he may have been the first dentist killed since the Korean war.

I could show you pictures of a destroyed x-ray ISO (big expandable trailer with hospital x-ray equipment) and a destroyed trailer the doctors were using as a break room. Or perhaps you would like to see pictures of the shrapnel that bounced the walls of our dental clinic, missing our oral surgeon by about 5 feet. Your assertion that it isn't dangerous is wrong.

Army dentists stationed CONUS don't see any dependents. Dependents are only seen OCONUS. If a dentist was assigned to a clinic at a basic training battalion, wisdom teeth and exams might be the most common procedures. Anywhere else (even Iraq), operative procedures are by far the most common.

And if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe a dentist hass been killed in a war since the Korean war? Isn't that right?

I've always been told it was Vietnam and it was because he crashed his jeep driving drunk. I can't remember where I heard it, probably on here somewhere.

Probably not true, but still pretty funny.

two of my classmates from dental school graduated then were stationed in germany, both army. one of them deployed later that summer. so you can be deployed shortly after graduating.

I don't think your statement on mobile dental vehicles is true. The army doesn't use Jeeps, for one. While we do have mobile field equipment, which could in theory be set up in the back of a vehicle, we normally set up a tent that is considerably larger than a jeep.

Let me make a few things clear, these are my experiences and are based on conversations I've had with military dentists. Yes the Air Force treats you better, but I promise you that no military dentist will be sent into an area and be under heavy fire. My PJ buddies aren't going to be jumping into an area to save an injured dentist that got hit with some shrapnel from a UXO or an IED I promise you that. Yes you MAY go to Iraq, most likely you will go conus and then spend some time in the sand box. I have, all of my friends have, and the majority of the military has. But like I said, the majority of dentists will not be in harms way period.

That is so untrue. Most of what dentists do in the military is fillings. All aspects of dentistry from ext to filling, to veneers, to dentures are done on military personell. Families are not treated with the exception of overseas bases and Fort Irwin in the USA.

I can second that, at MEPS I met a guy in the army who had $10,000 worth of veneers done by an Air Force dentist on tri-care.

What desert rat and UNRGrad said is true, the military does all aspects of dentistry. However, general dentists in the military do not do all aspects of dentistry. All military dentists must be credentialled for all procedures they can perform. A dentist right out of school, a 63A, would not have the credentials to do molar endo, ortho of any sort, perio surgery, or many other procedures that they don't think a general dentist that hasn't done a 2 year general dentistry residency would be competent to do. I would have to check to see if they are credentialled for bridges or veneers, but I don't think they are. Veneers are done very rarely in the army, and probably in the other branches as well. The army lab only does empress veneers, which require .7mm reduction, which is a lot of reduction in most cases. Outside of a residency, army general dentists are not doing any veneers unless they are extremely lucky to have a commander that allows it.

A general dentist in the army is normally a part of what we call the "lead line," which means he does amalgams all day long, every day, except on days they are assigned as the sick call doc or on exam days, when you do exams for 8 hours. You get a lot of practice at full cuspal coverage amalcore buildups. Posterior composites are highly discouraged. I am happy that we dont have to do dentures unless you want to, I refer all dentures to the prosthodontist. We can do all the extractions we want. I would suggest shadowing a military dentist for a day before signing up for any branch.

There are special forces dentists in the Army. I know two of them. They deploy with their special forces units and go where they go. A dental assistant died last year when their helicopter went down, the dentist survived, so don't tell me dentist don't go into warzones just because one hasn't been hit by shrapnel.

Special forces dentists...wow lol. They jump out of perfectly good airplanes and do amalgams on the way down. Their hygienists clean the teeth on the way down too. When the special forces guys land deep in enemy territory they set up a chair and start doing perio. Come man do you honestly think that a dentist is needed in special forces. Any dental care can wait until the troops are back at a post even if it is temporary.

Special forces dentists...wow lol. They jump out of perfectly good airplanes and do amalgams on the way down. Their hygienists clean the teeth on the way down too. When the special forces guys land deep in enemy territory they set up a chair and start doing perio. Come man do you honestly think that a dentist is needed in special forces. Any dental care can wait until the troops are back at a post even if it is temporary.

Man, for a guy that plans to graduate from dental school in 2016, you are pretty arrogant considering these guys are ALREADY military dentists.

Any dental care can wait until the troops are back at a post even if it is temporary.

clearly, you have never seen someone laid low by a raging endo abcess. there is a reason that our clinic's motto is 'fit to bite, fit to fight'. silly, yes, but you cant expect your seamen, airmen, marines, or soldiers to be focused on the mission if they can feel their heartbeat in a maxillary molar.

also, to the OP, in the Navy, the dental officers are aboard ships, with Marines, and where ever else SecNav feels the need to send us. i hear Djibouti is lovely this time of year.

Let me make a few things clear, these are my experiences and are based on conversations I've had with military dentists. Yes the Air Force treats you better, but I promise you that no military dentist will be sent into an area and be under heavy fire. My PJ buddies aren't going to be jumping into an area to save an injured dentist that got hit with some shrapnel from a UXO or an IED I promise you that. Yes you MAY go to Iraq, most likely you will go conus and then spend some time in the sand box. I have, all of my friends have, and the majority of the military has. But like I said, the majority of dentists will not be in harms way period.

This is awesome, When I go to Tikrit this fall for a year, I will now rest at ease that I won't be injured. Will I have to patrol roads, kick down doors etc, hell no. But there is always the incoming rounds you can't count on. Also, what you said about the idea of sitting at some base and wait for the soldiers to come to you makes sense, but it's not what happens. Commanders for some reason think that a dentist can go where the troops are and offer care there. They are constantly pushing dental out to the field. I've already been told I will be convoying to various outposts to do minimal emergency care. I hope the bad guys read your posts and hopefully don't place any IED's on the convoy I'm on. I'll let them know to wait for the next one.

good luck in 8 years.

A general dentist in the army is normally a part of what we call the "lead line," which means he does amalgams all day long, every day, except on days they are assigned as the sick call doc or on exam days, when you do exams for 8 hours. You get a lot of practice at full cuspal coverage amalcore buildups. Posterior composites are highly discouraged.

Holy Cow! I am glad I opted out on the HSPS! Sorry buddy.
-C

are a different breed. I've worked with a fair number of them as they used to jump out of my plane. No, they don't have side jobs. A Seal is a Seal is a Seal. If you're interested in becoming a Seal, forget about dentistry. If you want more info PM me and I'll tell you what I know.

WOW, the fact that a predental student has this diverse of a background in the real world is impressive. There is hope afterall. Go Navy.