military AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is it like? Is it a "must" to do this to get the most out of military dentistry?

What are the requirements among the various branches of the military?

Members don't see this ad.

The prevading logic seems to be that the AEGD programs really help with speed and confidence. Most students don't like them because that 1yr or 2yrs in some cases doesn't count towards payback time, and thus would extend active service payback overall.

The thing is that I hate dealing with loans in dental school now, and there is no way in hell that I am going to deal with this in years 3 and 4. It is just a waste of time.

I'd rather get experience on the government's dime than my own. I know a few people who have graduated, and it takes a while to gather speed. Civilian AEGD programs don't pay as much salary, and I just think of all the money I could be saving.

Really Guys, from the moment you start working, it is all about retirement.

What do AEGD cover anyways? Don't they have an age limit to be eligible for something like that. It seems like a free ride in exchange for a few more years of service.

Members don't see this ad :)
An aegd in the military should cover everything an aegd covers in the civilian world, meaning a walkthrough in all the`specialties of dentistry.

What do AEGD cover anyways? Don't they have an age limit to be eligible for something like that. It seems like a free ride in exchange for a few more years of service.
In the Navy atleast, I understand that choosinig an AEGD or any other residency does not add time that you'll need to payback, just puts off your 4 years. ie, if you take the HPSP 4yr scholarship, and do an AEGD (civilian or not), you'll serve your 4 years after residency.

that is correct. once upon a time, the AEGD/GPR year was counted as payback, but someone at the DoD noticed the number of new docs taking that option then bailing after their scholarship payback years were up, so the rules got changed a few years ago. now, the PGY-1 programs are a 'neutral' year. there is no accrual of obligation to payback, but that year does not count toward payback either.

the way i look at it (esp. since i have been accepted to the norfolk AEGD next year), the one extra year isnt that big of a deal AND it will go a long way to improving speed, knowledge, and familiarity with how things works in the service. at the very least, it ought to make the payback year more rewarding professionally because you will have proven to the branch you are in that you have a certain skill set and can be given more leeway in treatment decisions. at least, that is my hope and the impression that i gathered after taling with the junior dental detailer.

as to the locations and program curriculae follow this link:
navy AEGD
http://www.bethesda.med.navy.mil/Careers/Postgraduate_Dental_School/AEGD_1_Yr/
navy GPR
http://www.bethesda.med.navy.mil/Careers/Postgraduate_Dental_School/GPR/

Do the military AEGD have age restrictions? I think I saw the army had age requirements.

dheav005,

I'd really like some specific info on the AEGD in Norfolk and on the application process. I'm c/o 2009. Do you mind if send you a pm with questions?

QM1

fire away. but i have not visited there yet. you might want to hold off until this summer when my program starts...

i can help with the app process for sure, but specific information...well, i have none.