Midwestern University MABS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snehala

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, didn't see a thread up for this cycle so wanted to create one. Anyone get accepted yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted to the program! They notified me about a month ago. I'm using the school social app they sent out, and I don't see other MABS students on it.

I got accepted to the program! They notified me about a month ago. I'm using the school social app they sent out, and I don't see other MABS students on it.
What social app? Did you already accept and that's why you got access to the social app?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking? Are you doing the MABS program to attempt to enroll in the dental school?

I got into the Downers Grove Campus a few weeks ago and just interviewed at the Glendale campus on Friday. My stats are 3.15 sGPA 3.45 oGPA and 19AA. And yes I am doing this to get into dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
Im still awaiting to hear back regarding interview... I applied via PostBacCAS, which may have been a mistake cuz they take soooo long!!

Btw, how is the matriculation rate from MS to AZCOM / CCOM?

Im still awaiting to hear back regarding interview... I applied via PostBacCAS, which may have been a mistake cuz they take soooo long!!

From my understanding it's really high as long as you do well in the program and meet their minimum requirement for MCAT or DAT

I got into the Downers Grove Campus a few weeks ago and just interviewed at the Glendale campus on Friday. My stats are 3.15 sGPA 3.45 oGPA and 19AA. And yes I am doing this to get into dental school.
I didn't know they interview for the MABS program. My wife completed here in 2017 and got into the dental school but she never interviewed for the MABS program.

I didn't know they interview for the MABS program. My wife completed here in 2017 and got into the dental school but she never interviewed for the MABS program.
I didn't interview for Downers Grove but had to for AZ.

Did anyone else just receive an acceptance for Glendale campus? :) Good luck everyone!

i'm applying to MABS right now. Also, since the program is only 9 months long, does that mean that you guys (who applied to start in 2018) are applying to dental school this summer? I was just thinking if I have to take my DAT this summer and apply this summer, wouldn't I have to send the dental schools my stats from undergraduate since I wouldnt be starting MABS till August. If so then what's the point of the program? like how do the dental schools know my MABS's GPA to be qualified for the matriculation agreement?
I have also heard that people apply to this program to improve their DAT score, but how does it improve the DAT score when you have to take the DAT before the program even starts... unless these people are planning on taking the DAT and applying the summer after the program ends, which leads to them taking a gap year between the end of the program and start of dental school.

Sorry if I'm being confusing

i'm applying to MABS right now. Also, since the program is only 9 months long, does that mean that you guys (who applied to start in 2018) are applying to dental school this summer? I was just thinking if I have to take my DAT this summer and apply this summer, wouldn't I have to send the dental schools my stats from undergraduate since I wouldnt be starting MABS till August. If so then what's the point of the program? like how do the dental schools know my MABS's GPA to be qualified for the matriculation agreement?
I have also heard that people apply to this program to improve their DAT score, but how does it improve the DAT score when you have to take the DAT before the program even starts... unless these people are planning on taking the DAT and applying the summer after the program ends, which leads to them taking a gap year between the end of the program and start of dental school.

Sorry if I'm being confusing

So if I decide to enroll I would apply this summer for dental school. Yes you would have to send them your undergraduate grades. But your undergraduate and your MABS grades are completely different. So after you send them those you enroll into MABS and then after 2 quarters you can send over your grades and then if you meet the articulation agreement which is having above a 3.0 in MABS(just MABS - undergrad GPA doesn't matter for the articulation agreement) and you have the DAT scores then you will most likely get an interview.

Does that answer your question?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I decide to enroll I would apply this summer for dental school. Yes you would have to send them your undergraduate grades. But your undergraduate and your MABS grades are completely different. So after you send them those you enroll into MABS and then after 2 quarters you can send over your grades and then if you meet the articulation agreement which is having above a 3.0 in MABS(just MABS - undergrad GPA doesn't matter for the articulation agreement) and you have the DAT scores then you will most likely get an interview.

Does that answer your question?
yes it did! thank you so much!

Hi everyone, does anyone know approximately how many people are accepted to the dental school from this program? Thinking about applying. Also, do you get an interview at Arizona and Illinois? or is it just at the school you apply to?

Hi everyone, does anyone know approximately how many people are accepted to the dental school from this program? Thinking about applying. Also, do you get an interview at Arizona and Illinois? or is it just at the school you apply to?
If you apply to both you can get it at both. I know someone whos in the MABS who got interviewed at both and accepted at both. My wife was accepted out of this program. They accept a decent amount of students that keep a good GPA and have atleast an average DAT score. A lot of students from get MABS class were accepted.

Last cycle it was amazing! Pretty much everyone who applied got in (49 out of 51 applicants). This year looks like a completely different story though. The applicant pool is really competitive and students with 4.0s in this program are being told to consider a gap year. This time last year AZCOM had seats still available where this year they've accepted 275 people for a max class size of 250ish currently. There is a lot of waitlist movement in the summer but there's 50+ applicants from the MA/MBS program and I doubt there's going to be as good of an acceptance rate this time around.

The program has been incredible and worth it up until this point its just finally setting in that there are no guarentees. Only time will tell how many people will actually get accepted from the master's program for AZCOM 2022.

What social app? Did you already accept and that's why you got access to the social app?
Hey, sorry for the late reply. Yes, I have already accepted and they told me about this app through an email. App is called SchoolsApp.

Hey guys, I got the acceptance email today, however I did not interview. I'm not sure if an interview was needed, when I check on the portal it shows everything I need to do now including matriculation agreement so I'm assuming an interview was not needed. In regards to getting into their DO program has anybody heard anything current?

The interview was very casual, and it's nothing to stress about. The guy interviewing me did his interview at home (even his dog wanted to be a part of the interview).

I felt that the interview was more him telling me about the program, as he did nearly all of the talking. The main thing is that they want you to be well informed about the program, and they want to know if you are a good fit for the program. I was asked about my stats, and why I wanted to do the program. They will say that the 1-year MABS program is tailored for students that already have a strong application overall, but need that extra chance to show that they are academically competitive in order to compensate for a lower undergrad GPA.

Congrats to those accepted, and if you didn't have to deal with the interview, nice.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey,

Got accepted into the downers grove MABS program 2019-2019. Just wondering where everyone is staying and if you guys knew there is a link to find roommates and apartment info.

Thanks

not sure where I will be living since I'm moving from Florida so I'm also wondering if anybody else has heard about apartments that are affordable and near campus.

Does anybody know when classes begin for the two year program? thats the one I will be attending if I don't hear back from other programs I'm currently waiting on.

First day of class is 8/27/18

I asked the admission office and you can view the calendar from the acceptance email too.

I am trying to understand the timeline. The MABS starts in August and finishes in May? So could one potentially start med/dental school in August or do you have to wait a whole year to start if accepted?

You can start in August. You don't have to wait a whole year. That's why people apply in June before the program starts in August so they can directly begin the August after.

You can start in August. You don't have to wait a whole year. That's why people apply in June before the program starts in August so they can directly begin the August after.
Thank you for your help. I’m confused though most of the med / dental class would be full by January. Does this mean the school blocks out seats for people from the MABS program once the grades come in??

Thank you for your help. I’m confused though most of the med / dental class would be full by January. Does this mean the school blocks out seats for people from the MABS program once the grades come in??
Bump

So when I asked admissions they said that they keep your application separate and I guess "blocks out" some seats. I don't remember exactly how she put it but it was something of that sort where they knew they were going to give seats to MABS students. You should call admission and they can explain it to you.

Hey guys, I did the MBS program and I am currently a dental student at Glendale. If you have any questions about either program, feel free to ask or shoot me a message!

Reactions: 3 users

Admissions always saves a few seats for the biomed kids.
Also, you'd be surprised at how many people drop out. We had multiple people in our dental class get accepted ONE WEEK before school started.

@Teeth4Life1234 When you say drop out do you mean drop out from MABS or drop out from the admissions process ?? Also, could you talk about the timeline of your application process to the dental school while you were in the MABS program ( like when did you apply for the dental program , when you sent your MABS grades and when you got interviewed ? )
Thanks in advance

@Teeth4Life1234 When you say drop out do you mean drop out from MABS or drop out from the admissions process ?? Also, could you talk about the timeline of your application process to the dental school while you were in the MABS program ( like when did you apply for the dental program , when you sent your MABS grades and when you got interviewed ? )
Thanks in advance

Sorry for the confusion. By dropping out, I meant people who dropped out of the dental admissions process once they got accepted in other schools even though they paid their deposit. Like I said earlier, many do this up to mid August.

I did the 2 year MBS program. I would submit my application as early as possible, especially if you're applying to other schools.

But typically, the 1 year MA students submit their masters grades after the 2nd (winter) quarter. If they have a 3.6 GPA and a total DAT score of at least one standard deviation below the incoming D1 class, it's a guaranteed interview. They get interviewed around February or March. Not sure exactly when they find out, but I know several masters students have already been accepted as of today.

Sorry for the confusion. By dropping out, I meant people who dropped out of the dental admissions process once they got accepted in other schools even though they paid their deposit. Like I said earlier, many do this up to mid August.

I did the 2 year MBS program. I would submit my application as early as possible, especially if you're applying to other schools.

But typically, the 1 year MA students submit their masters grades after the 2nd (winter) quarter. If they have a 3.6 GPA and a total DAT score of at least one standard deviation below the incoming D1 class, it's a guaranteed interview. They get interviewed around February or March. Not sure exactly when they find out, but I know several masters students have already been accepted as of today.
I will be starting the 2 year program this fall. I was wondering if you could share your experience in the program. Looking back do you still feel you would have attended? I will be moving from Florida and I will need to look for an apartment/ place to live close to campus, any good places you can recommend? thank you in advance

I will be starting the 2 year program this fall. I was wondering if you could share your experience in the program. Looking back do you still feel you would have attended? I will be moving from Florida and I will need to look for an apartment/ place to live close to campus, any good places you can recommend? thank you in advance

If I could start over, I wouldn't be so lazy in college and skip the masters altogether haha.

But yes, if you're like me and you need to improve the GPA section of your application, then definitely go with a masters program. However, if you have a competitive GPA and a low DAT, do NOT do the masters. I had a classmate who had a 3.7 GPA with a low DAT get a significantly lower GPA in the program. She still got in dental school, but she had to re-take the DAT anyway.

The 1 year program here is more challenging than the 2 year program. It has more required core courses. I want to say it has 1-2 more courses per quarter.

The 2 year program is research-based. So if you hate research, then this is probably not a good choice. However, some of the research courses are easy A’s, and are included in your GPA. So it’s easier to get a higher GPA than compared w/ the 1 year.

Advice to do well:

Study right away. The first few weeks will seem easy since you only have a few classes a week and a ton of free time. However, since it’s a quarter system, once the exams come around, they come FAST. If you don’t keep on top of things, you’ll easily get overwhelmed.

Cramming doesn’t work unless you’re someone like Jake. This guy never went to class, never studied until the day before the exam. He would pull an all-nighter and get all A’s and B’s. I hated that guy haha.

Study actively, not passively. By passive, I mean just reading through the slides over and over. Many test questions are 2nd and 3rd order questions. For example, instead of “what’s this structure”, it would be “what nerve innervates this structure”, or “what motions would be affected if this nerve is damaged?” Best way is to make diagrams, draw/re-create pathways, and quiz each other.

Lastly, be nice and professional to everyone on campus. It’s small, so you don’t know who you’ll run into. I was in an elevator with a friend and an older lady. My friend made an…unprofessional comment haha. Later we discovered she was the Dean of the DO program. Good thing we were pre-dental lol.

But there are also a ton of faculty that are on the admissions committee, who are sometimes in different colleges. Also, there are also students who sit in on your interview who surprisingly have some input, especially if you are viewed unfavorably. So you’ll never know who you will run into.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the information! Just out of curiosity how do the exams work? Do you focus on the material based on the lectures or through the textbook? And are there midterms and finals(comprehensive exams?)

If I could start over, I wouldn't be so lazy in college and skip the masters altogether haha.

But yes, if you're like me and you need to improve the GPA section of your application, then definitely go with a masters program. However, if you have a competitive GPA and a low DAT, do NOT do the masters. I had a classmate who had a 3.7 GPA with a low DAT get a significantly lower GPA in the program. She still got in dental school, but she had to re-take the DAT anyway.

The 1 year program here is more challenging than the 2 year program. It has more required core courses. I want to say it has 1-2 more courses per quarter.

The 2 year program is research-based. So if you hate research, then this is probably not a good choice. However, some of the research courses are easy A’s, and are included in your GPA. So it’s easier to get a higher GPA than compared w/ the 1 year.

Advice to do well:

Study right away. The first few weeks will seem easy since you only have a few classes a week and a ton of free time. However, since it’s a quarter system, once the exams come around, they come FAST. If you don’t keep on top of things, you’ll easily get overwhelmed.

Cramming doesn’t work unless you’re someone like Jake. This guy never went to class, never studied until the day before the exam. He would pull an all-nighter and get all A’s and B’s. I hated that guy haha.

Study actively, not passively. By passive, I mean just reading through the slides over and over. Many test questions are 2nd and 3rd order questions. For example, instead of “what’s this structure”, it would be “what nerve innervates this structure”, or “what motions would be affected if this nerve is damaged?” Best way is to make diagrams, draw/re-create pathways, and quiz each other.

Lastly, be nice and professional to everyone on campus. It’s small, so you don’t know who you’ll run into. I was in an elevator with a friend and an older lady. My friend made an…unprofessional comment haha. Later we discovered she was the Dean of the DO program. Good thing we were pre-dental lol.

But there are also a ton of faculty that are on the admissions committee, who are sometimes in different colleges. Also, there are also students who sit in on your interview who surprisingly have some input, especially if you are viewed unfavorably. So you’ll never know who you will run into.

Hope that helps!

Advice to do well:

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much, this helps a ton. Yes I'm doing the 2 year program because I want to improve my GPA and also because I want to do research...what about housing? do they have in campus living places for the masters students, or is it just for the med/dental students?

I believe only biochem had a cumulative final.

You only need the lecture powerpoints to do well. Textbooks are unnecessary, but I believe they have some in the library if you want the extra material.

Usually the class is split pretty evenly between pre-med and pre-dental with a handful of others (PA, Opto, Vet, etc.)

In terms of housing, there are a lot of options. On-campus is usually the cheapest. Apply early though! Space runs out fast. They are open to all students at Midwestern. If you can, try to get the newer ones. The old ones don't have certain amenities. I forgot which ones, but I think they didn't have dishwashers or something like that. Don't quote me on that though.

There are a couple of apartments literally right across the street. Sagestone, San Prado, and San Lagos are all fairly nice I hear. I think prado (or is it Lagos?) has trash valet. You put your trash outside of your door and they will collect it nightly haha. But I believe they are a few hundred dollars more per month than student housing.

There are also a couple of apartments a mile away that are decent as well: Adobe Ridge, Strayhorse, Greenleaf Arrowhead. I live in Greenleaf and no complaints so far.

The fancy people stay at Velaire, which is 2 miles away. It's new, looks fancy, and easily over $1,400/month once utilities and fees are included. Laguna is also near there, just not as fancy.

Then a bit further away by the mall, about 3-4 miles: Solis, Atrium, Reserve, Tresa, The Atrium. I took a tour at them and they seem decent.

Good thing about all of these apartments is that they are located right near the 101 Freeway. You can either hop on that or take local. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 min max even for the ones by the mall

I believe most of these places are pet friendly. Only Greenleaf and Laguna take dogs that are deemed "aggressive", such as shepherds, pits, etc. I think campus housing takes all breeds, due to the vet students. But again, please check haha.

I believe only biochem had a cumulative final.

You only need the lecture powerpoints to do well. Textbooks are unnecessary, but I believe they have some in the library if you want the extra material.

Usually the class is split pretty evenly between pre-med and pre-dental with a handful of others (PA, Opto, Vet, etc.)

In terms of housing, there are a lot of options. On-campus is usually the cheapest. Apply early though! Space runs out fast. They are open to all students at Midwestern. If you can, try to get the newer ones. The old ones don't have certain amenities. I forgot which ones, but I think they didn't have dishwashers or something like that. Don't quote me on that though.

There are a couple of apartments literally right across the street. Sagestone, San Prado, and San Lagos are all fairly nice I hear. I think prado (or is it Lagos?) has trash valet. You put your trash outside of your door and they will collect it nightly haha. But I believe they are a few hundred dollars more per month than student housing.

There are also a couple of apartments a mile away that are decent as well: Adobe Ridge, Strayhorse, Greenleaf Arrowhead. I live in Greenleaf and no complaints so far.

The fancy people stay at Velaire, which is 2 miles away. It's new, looks fancy, and easily over $1,400/month once utilities and fees are included. Laguna is also near there, just not as fancy.

Then a bit further away by the mall, about 3-4 miles: Solis, Atrium, Reserve, Tresa, The Atrium. I took a tour at them and they seem decent.

Good thing about all of these apartments is that they are located right near the 101 Freeway. You can either hop on that or take local. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 min max even for the ones by the mall

I believe most of these places are pet friendly. Only Greenleaf and Laguna take dogs that are deemed "aggressive", such as shepherds, pits, etc. I think campus housing takes all breeds, due to the vet students. But again, please check haha.
Thank you so much, and good luck

Recently interviewed and got accepted into the MA Biomedical Sciences program at the Glendale campus.

Is there a sort of Facebook group or something for us?

Also got accepted to Glendale’s MA program. Do we get on campus housing?

I got wait listed at the 2 year program and I doubt I'm going to get a seat, sucks because I'm an IL resident, sigh...

Hi all,

How long was the turnaround time after you submitted your app?

Hi all,

How long was the turnaround time after you submitted your app?
not long, couple of weeks I think it was like 2 weeks for me for the 2 year MBS program, not sure for the other programs. Good luck

Has anyone made an FB page for the 1 year masters in IL? Hoping to start meeting people that are accepted and maybe find a future roommate!
hey, I haven't heard anything about a FB page, however, they sent me a link to the schools app which is linked to your fb. People ask questions and post about apartments, and the programs on that app. If you haven't received their email with the link for the app, call them and ask them to re-send it to you. They are very nice and friendly when you call with questions.