Midwestern University Class of 2019 job placements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Realized RPh

Reaction score
Dear students considering pharmacy school. Please tell me your thoughts on these statistics about midwestern university class of 2019 job placement. Keep in mind Arizona only has 2 pharmacy schools and has a higher population than many states. Make sure you read the part below the stats.

Job Placements1

Community and Ambulatory Care Pharmacy: 57% (49/86)
Hospital and Health System Pharmacy: 10% (9/86)
Residency and Fellowship: 26% (22/86)
Residencies: 21; Fellowships: 1
Specialty and compounding pharmacy, long term care pharmacy, military, Indian Health Service, managed care and industry: 7% (6/86)

2019 Residency Placements2,3

15.4% (22/143)

2019 CPG Graduate Residency Match Rate3

• CPG Graduates: 61% for 2019 (22/36)
  • National Rate: 64% for 2019 (3822/5937)
1 Based on the 2019 survey administered in April/May 2019 in which 143/143 (100%) of the Class of 2019 graduating students responded, 115/143 (80%) indicated they had sought post-graduation employment. Of those 115 graduating students, 75% (86/115) had secured post-graduation employment. The total number of graduates includes students who may have begun the curriculum earlier.

2 Based on the Class of 2019, this percentage is reflective of those graduating students who assumed residency training after graduation. The total number of graduates includes students who may have begun the curriculum earlier.

3 Based on 2019 National Matching Service (NMS) data obtained from the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) in April 2019. Match rates are calculated by dividing the number of individuals who matched to a residency program by the number of individuals who submitted a rank list to NMS in 2019.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In other words, 29 grads (20% of the graduating class) were not able to find a job, and 28 (19%) did not even bother looking for one?

Yea doesn’t make sense that people would spend 250k on pharmacy school and not look for a job after... I am just reading this as 86/143 got a job or residency even though residency does not translate to a job always. Good for students to know what odds they face and it’s good midwestern is being transparent about the job market in Arizona. Every school should be required to do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be more interesting if the data collection allowed for more granular insights, like where are people going (what companies, in state vs out of state, etc). Good on people if they are able to avoid CVS/Walgreens

I went to Arizona and I can say our stats were probably the same except more residencies, go on Indeed the job market is terrible in Phoenix right now