Midwestern interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The rotations during the first year are more like shadowing. You go to one acute care and one community site for two afternoons each (or if you've worked in a community pharmacy before you can do both at an acute care site and vice versa). They call them intro pharm practice experiences. The beginning of your second year, you have two full rotations, one at a community site and one acute care site. I know they are moving the curriculum around, so some of what I said may not be accurate for future years. Midwestern just built a new clinic that opened in Oct/Nov and we do have pharmacists and students on rotation there. However, it is taking a little while to get a patient base built for the pharmacy services, so work is slow. It is not a conventional pharmacy, mostly compounding and chronic disease state classes and services. It will expand services in the future and should provide a great experience. You will need a car since public transportation is horrible.

Members don't see this ad.

The rotations during the first year are more like shadowing. You go to one acute care and one community site for two afternoons each (or if you've worked in a community pharmacy before you can do both at an acute care site and vice versa). They call them intro pharm practice experiences. The beginning of your second year, you have two full rotations, one at a community site and one acute care site. I know they are moving the curriculum around, so some of what I said may not be accurate for future years. Midwestern just built a new clinic that opened in Oct/Nov and we do have pharmacists and students on rotation there. However, it is taking a little while to get a patient base built for the pharmacy services, so work is slow. It is not a conventional pharmacy, mostly compounding and chronic disease state classes and services. It will expand services in the future and should provide a great experience. You will need a car since public transportation is horrible.

by two afternoons each do you mean two afternoons out of a week? i was hoping i can avoid buying a car until my second or third year but i guess i'll have to start looking into that!

Two afternoons for the entire quarter for each place. It's only once a week for two weeks. For our class, it was split into two different quarters, so I went to a community site for 2 afternoons one quarter and 2 afternoons at a hospital the next quarter. It is not meant to take up a lot of time. They wanted us to go to each place for a total of 8 hours each. It's just to get a little experience. I don't know if they have changed it or not. They'll go through it in orientation. If you can handle the public transportation, carpool, or bike, you'll be ok. I just couldn't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
bike + 110 degree weather = hell ?

i am still on the waitlist to get into CPG...anyone pulled off recently or has any info if i will ever get pulled off considering class starts soon

So what's worse: having your shoes melt in Glendale or having your pee freeze before it hits the ground in Chicago?

So what's worse: having your shoes melt in Glendale or having your pee freeze before it hits the ground in Chicago?

I'm originally from the Chicagoland area and have lived in warmer and colder climates since then. I can say Chicago gets a lot of pretty harsh press regarding its winters - but if you're from a really warm, dry climate, of course it would seem awful to you! The rest of us just get used to it and after one winter there, you'll know how to handle it too. The other seasons are all really nice and comfortable, summer gets humid but you may not be there in the summer. In winter, because it's the Midwest, they're really used to dealing with snow and ice. Here in Philly, if they get 2 inches, schools are closing! :laugh: Factor in, this past winter has been exceptionally bad. Most of them are more mild.

I'm originally from the Chicagoland area and have lived in warmer and colder climates since then. I can say Chicago gets a lot of pretty harsh press regarding its winters - but if you're from a really warm, dry climate, of course it would seem awful to you! The rest of us just get used to it and after one winter there, you'll know how to handle it too. The other seasons are all really nice and comfortable, summer gets humid but you may not be there in the summer. In winter, because it's the Midwest, they're really used to dealing with snow and ice. Here in Philly, if they get 2 inches, schools are closing! :laugh: Factor in, this past winter has been exceptionally bad. Most of them are more mild.

And now I must represent Phoenix.....

I complain about the heat a lot, but really its not that bad. I have lived here for 3 years now- and you laern how to deal with the heat! The mornings here are beautiful especially this time of year and often there are a plethora of hot air balloons in the sky (just gorgeous). We also have beautiful sunsets. And as they say... at least it is a dry heat- don't forget to bring lots of lotion!

MAybe if I didn't have a black car with leather seats, I wouldn't compain so much... OUCH!

Plus, you can carry a gun on your hip (without a permit- as long as it is visible) here. That takes some getting used to :rolleyes:

BTW, people drive like banshees out here- nuts!

I complain about the heat a lot, but really its not that bad. I have lived here for 3 years now- and you laern how to deal with the heat! The mornings here are beautiful especially this time of year and often there are a plethora of hot air balloons in the sky (just gorgeous). We also have beautiful sunsets. And as they say... at least it is a dry heat- don't forget to bring lots of lotion!

MAybe if I didn't have a black car with leather seats, I wouldn't compain so much... OUCH!

Plus, you can carry a gun on your hip (without a permit- as long as it is visible) here. That takes some getting used to :rolleyes:

BTW, people drive like banshees out here- nuts!

so i can walk into the pharmacy with a gun on my hip? wth? excuse my language. banshees? sound like halo to me. hahahhaha....playing too much. lol

so i can walk into the pharmacy with a gun on my hip? wth? excuse my language. banshees? sound like halo to me. hahahhaha....playing too much. lol

Since I don't carry a weapon, I don't pay attention to signs and specific laws, but you can carry a weapon (visible.. you need a concealed weapons license to carry a gun concealed) anywhere UNLESS it is a school, hospital or there is a sign posted (usually on the door) that forbids weapons.

I will have to ask my husband (who has carries concealed) about pharmacies. He wants be to carry in my backpack at school- I told him he is a teensy bit paranoid... besides I may be little but I have a mean JUDO CHOP!

Since I don't carry a weapon, I don't pay attention to signs and specific laws, but you can carry a weapon (visible.. you need a concealed weapons license to carry a gun concealed) anywhere UNLESS it is a school, hospital or there is a sign posted (usually on the door) that forbids weapons.

I will have to ask my husband (who has carries concealed) about pharmacies. He wants be to carry in my backpack at school- I told him he is a teensy bit paranoid... besides I may be little but I have a mean JUDO CHOP!

i'm sorry if i'm naive about this b/c im not from the US...

but WHY o WHY do you have to carry a gun around everywhere with you?? :scared::scared:

i've yet to seen a real gun yet and i think i'd be pretty scared if i ever saw one...

i'm sorry if i'm naive about this b/c im not from the US...

but WHY o WHY do you have to carry a gun around everywhere with you?? :scared::scared:

i've yet to seen a real gun yet and i think i'd be pretty scared if i ever saw one...

Many beleive it is an American's right to carry protection. Guns scare me too... I don't feel a need to carry one. My husband does.. I think part of his need stems from his background- he is Australian and their government restricts a lot of the rights American's hold dear.

We have 5 guns (three loaded) in our house (however, we have no children and no friends with children). If children were to be present in the house- the guns would be locked up and taken apart.

My husband taught me how to shoot - so at least I know what to do if I ever abosultely need to use one. You can beleive that if a man broke into my house and I was home alone and he threatened my life in any way- I would not hesitate to use a gun... and legally I am allowed to do just that.

I will say this, I never would have touched a gun if it hadn't been for my husband's influence, nor will I ever carry a gun on my person. However, he carries one in his car on a daily basis, as do many in Phoenix. However, it is not like people are out waving them around, there are still laws and we do have police out here :) Just be aware.

It caught me off guard when I went into a convienence store at a gas station and saw a 20 year old kid with a gun on his hip. Lets just say I decided I didn't need that soda after all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Many beleive it is an American's right to carry protection. Guns scare me too... I don't feel a need to carry one. My husband does.. I think part of his need stems from his background- he is Australian and their government restricts a lot of the rights American's hold dear.

We have 5 guns (three loaded) in our house (however, we have no children and no friends with children). If children were to be present in the house- the guns would be locked up and taken apart.

My husband taught me how to shoot - so at least I know what to do if I ever abosultely need to use one. You can beleive that if a man broke into my house and I was home alone and he threatened my life in any way- I would not hesitate to use a gun... and legally I am allowed to do just that.

I will say this, I never would have touched a gun if it hadn't been for my husband's influence, nor will I ever carry a gun on my person. However, he carries one in his car on a daily basis, as do many in Phoenix. However, it is not like people are out waving them around, there are still laws and we do have police out here :) Just be aware.

It caught me off guard when I went into a convienence store at a gas station and saw a 20 year old kid with a gun on his hip. Lets just say I decided I didn't need that soda after all!

Many people in Phoenix carry guns...? Is it this way in most of the mainland US as well? I've never seen a gun before and would be pretty frightened (like Michelle said). Maybe I'm living in a sheltered environment over here... Lol.

Just thought this topic was interesting so I jumped in.. :p

Thanks for your introduction about the weather in Phoenix. haha I don't mind the heat.. I mean it's way better than freezing cold to me!
Anyway.. I have a question for you Alby. I'm planning to buy a WHITE car with a beige LEATHER interior. Do you think I can get around with the beige leather? or should I take out the leather option? Thanks~ :p

Thanks for your introduction about the weather in Phoenix. haha I don't mind the heat.. I mean it's way better than freezing cold to me!
Anyway.. I have a question for you Alby. I'm planning to buy a WHITE car with a beige LEATHER interior. Do you think I can get around with the beige leather? or should I take out the leather option? Thanks~ :p

Here is what I recommend... seriously.
Get LIMO TINT on your windows... not standard factory tint but limo tint.
It makes all the difference in the world!

My husband has a white car with black leather interior and limo tint and I don't singe my hammies. My car- factory tint and beige leather (black car)- wouldn't risk wearing a skirt or shorts if I want to sit for the next week. Make sure you invest in some leather conditioner too, or your leather will crack here- because it is so dry.

Many people in Phoenix carry guns...? Is it this way in most of the mainland US as well? I've never seen a gun before and would be pretty frightened (like Michelle said). Maybe I'm living in a sheltered environment over here... Lol.

Just thought this topic was interesting so I jumped in.. :p

It is regulated by state law. Im not sure what the law is in other states- but it caught me off guard for sure when I moved out here :D
But its not like there are bullets flying all over the place out here!

my car is black with black leather....should i be thinking about a trade in?? :cool: hahah. Do you guys think a carport would help? I was even looking into a car cover maybe but what a hassle that would be.

my car is black with black leather....should i be thinking about a trade in?? :cool: hahah. Do you guys think a carport would help? I was even looking into a car cover maybe but what a hassle that would be.
yeah a carport will help... just don't forget your Neomycin/polymyxin ointment!

ointment for the dry weather = cracked skin?!?!

btw I was just thinking about this the other day: is there a reason why the school has 24 hour security and is all fenced-in, and the apartment across the street has 24 hour security too? ie, is Phoenix/Glendale a high-crime city?

btw I was just thinking about this the other day: is there a reason why the school has 24 hour security and is all fenced-in, and the apartment across the street has 24 hour security too? ie, is Phoenix/Glendale a high-crime city?

Ha...that is a good question...we usually one to two cars stolen per year at on campus housing and also apartments across the street. But dont worry there's a security guard that's at the on campus housing exit gate. Just make sure you have an alarm on your car and car insurance that will cover for stolen cars...o and a club might help when you go home during breaks!!!

aloe vera right?

Come on you guys.... future classmates ! :D

Its antibiotic ointment from the burns you get from bare skin on REALLY hot leather;)

I'll let this one slide.

Actually, that area is quite safe.

When I lived across the street (San Lagos) I used to go jogging after dark on my own. I wouldn't have done that if I thought it wasn't safe.

I had a car stolen from San Lagos- a 2005 Jeep Rubicon... insurance covered it. I have heard that Phoenix has one of the highest rates of stolen vehicles because we are a large city relatively close to the Mexico border. These cars are usually sold in Mexico. Makes sure your insurance covers theft- but that goes for wherever you live.

Michelle- I probably freaked you out talking about the gun laws here... sorry:oops:. Just to reiterate- you sill be safe if you live on campus or nearby- it is a safe area.

Come on you guys.... future classmates ! :D

Its antibiotic ointment from the burns you get from bare skin on REALLY hot leather;)

I'll let this one slide.

didnt realize u can get a serious burn from leather......not that hot over here in California. :cool: but yea gotta love neosporin!

Actually, that area is quite safe.

When I lived across the street (San Lagos) I used to go jogging after dark on my own. I wouldn't have done that if I thought it wasn't safe.

I had a car stolen from San Lagos- a 2005 Jeep Rubicon... insurance covered it. I have heard that Phoenix has one of the highest rates of stolen vehicles because we are a large city relatively close to the Mexico border. These cars are usually sold in Mexico. Makes sure your insurance covers theft- but that goes for wherever you live.

Michelle- I probably freaked you out talking about the gun laws here... sorry:oops:. Just to reiterate- you sill be safe if you live on campus or nearby- it is a safe area.

haha ya u did freak me out about the gun laws :oops::oops:

where i live right now has a pretty bad auto theft problem, but it's mostly break-ins because the meth addicts will do whatever they can to steal a buck or two from ur car...

auto crime doesnt scare me that much, i just don't want to be living in a place where people are running around shooting everybody up haha... i think i watched too many of "The First 48" on A&E :smuggrin:

haha ya u did freak me out about the gun laws :oops::oops:

where i live right now has a pretty bad auto theft problem, but it's mostly break-ins because the meth addicts will do whatever they can to steal a buck or two from ur car...

auto crime doesnt scare me that much, i just don't want to be living in a place where people are running around shooting everybody up haha... i think i watched too many of "The First 48" on A&E :smuggrin:

I never should have brought the gun stuff up... sorry.
You will probably never see someone carrying a gun while you are here.
I have lived here for three years, the only place I see people carrying is near where I currently work (30 miles from CPG) where I also see prostitutes, homeless and meth heads.

hey guys, for those who interviewed at CPG on March 28, check your interact now accounts! I was randomly checking it yesterday for any updates from CCP and saw the change from CPG as well. They sure made their decisions fast!

Good luck to those who are awaiting responses.

hey guys, for those who interviewed at CPG on March 28, check your interact now accounts! I was randomly checking it yesterday for any updates from CCP and saw the change from CPG as well. They sure made their decisions fast!

Good luck to those who are awaiting responses.

I interviewed that day too but my Interact Now account hasn't changed. It looks the same to me... where exactly does is it supposed to say "accepted" or "waitlisted"? I am looking under application status.

congrats though!!!

The interact now account changes to a white background when you are accepted. The first time you log on after being accepted you will also see a pop up window saying congrats.

The interact now account changes to a white background when you are accepted. The first time you log on after being accepted you will also see a pop up window saying congrats.

thanks for the info ^.^ guess i'll just keep checking obsessively and maybe if I can't take it anymore I will call tomorrow hehe

Also, the Application Status icon in the upper right hand corner will be replaced with an Accepted Student Checklist icon.

I actually got my acceptance letter in the mail first, and my account changed days later...but I do live close by so maybe thats why??

I actually got my acceptance letter in the mail first, and my account changed days later...but I do live close by so maybe thats why??

Same thing happened to me (in February)... I had just checked my interact account at work and then stopped by the mailbox when I got home. There was a thin letter from MWU- so I thought "oh well... I got waitlisted". Turns out it was an acceptance letter- what a surprise :laugh:

I also live nearby.

I haven't received any letter from them since interview (03/10/08), but my interact now account changed also. I have the "accepted student check list" with the white background. Have I really been accepted?

Just a word of caution... I was specifically told by Midwestern (Chicago campus, specifically) not to trust the InteractNow account - either way. It may be updated, it may not be, so don't fret if yours hasn't changed.

Just a word of caution... I was specifically told by Midwestern (Chicago campus, specifically) not to trust the InteractNow account - either way. It may be updated, it may not be, so don't fret if yours hasn't changed.

I lost the mail for the account and I never registrate. What should I do? Can I call and ask for the account number?

I haven't received any letter from them since interview (03/10/08), but my interact now account changed also. I have the "accepted student check list" with the white background. Have I really been accepted?

Yes, you are accepted... if your interact acct. has changed it means you are accepted... don't let others tell you otherwise... Congrats! Expect a letter soon, takes a little time...

Yes, you are accepted... if your interact acct. has changed it means you are accepted... don't let others tell you otherwise... Congrats! Expect a letter soon, takes a little time...

YEAH!!! Thanks for telling me that. Do you know how much is the deposit by the way? And are you going to MWU-CCP as well?

YEAH!!! Thanks for telling me that. Do you know how much is the deposit by the way? And are you going to MWU-CCP as well?

hey I know the question wasn't posed to me but I know that the deposit happens to be a grand...but they do give you a decent amount of time to come up with it/ decide

Hey JSK Pharm D. did you interview at the chicago campus on 3/10? I am just curious because I interviewed at CCP on 3/10 as well and am still waiting for their response!

Same thing basically happened to me...I called, they said I got accepted...didn't get a letter & got scared it was a premature response. then constantly kept checking my interact now, and that changed to accepted student, but I didn't get an actual letter til at least another week later.

You are accepted but if you are worried in any way still, you can call the admissions office

so are they still doing interviews or is it finally time to start pulling from the waitlist?? =)

I'm in!!! How many Asian students are there? I'm from China. Anyone here also from China?

Hey, Temple08 when did you interview and how did you find out, in the mail or interact????

Congratulations on getting in!

Hey, Temple08 when did you interview and how did you find out, in the mail or interact????

Congratulations on getting in!

I called them because I lost the mail about interact account. A lady told me that Igot accepted and I'll get the mail in few days. I was interviewed on 3/14