Midwestern CPG (Glendale, AZ) Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone!

I looked through all the posts but I can't seem to find any information on whether MWU Glendale has a hospital nearby that their students work with. This is important to me since I am considering hospital pharmacy.

Also, for those of you who consider MWU Glendale to be your top choice, may I ask what your reasons are? I just want to know why I should choose this school over all other schools.

Thanks very much and good luck to you all! :)

There is no hospital that works with MWU glendale. They do have numerous rotation sites at many hospitals in the phoenix area, but there is no hospital associated with the school. There are a few faculty members that have rotation sites at certain hospitals. You will have one hospital site between your p1 and p2 year, but you rarely get your first choice. Then your final rotaions you have to do one retail but the rest can be hospital, however it is not guaranteed as there are not as many sites as there are retail.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a heads up, Im a first year at University of Arizona and we were told, by a professor that spoke with a MW teacher/dean, that current 3rd years at MW dont have a job fair this year. The reason, when asked by the UA professor, is "employers arent interested in MW graduates". Take that into consideration. Its a super expensive school without a great reputation, so if you get into another school you should go.

Just a heads up, Im a first year at University of Arizona and we were told, by a professor that spoke with a MW teacher/dean, that current 3rd years at MW dont have a job fair this year. The reason, when asked by the UA professor, is "employers arent interested in MW graduates". Take that into consideration. Its a super expensive school without a great reputation, so if you get into another school you should go.

Completely bs

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely bs

It is not completely BS. Even the pharmacists I have worked with have said the same. Midwestern students get out competed by UofA students for rotations and for residency and job placement. If you're going into retail, midwestern is fine. If you're interested in more clinical work, I've been told to go elsewhere.

It is not completely BS. Even the pharmacists I have worked with have said the same. Midwestern students get out competed by UofA students for rotations and for residency and job placement. If you're going into retail, midwestern is fine. If you're interested in more clinical work, I've been told to go elsewhere.
UofA is a better school, you can't argue that. However Midwestern though private is not a diploma mill, like the schools popping up out of no where. Midwestern is a medical college with numerourous medical programs. It's not like some school that opened up out of No where at some no name liberal arts college or worse yet, completely on it's own.

I don't deny what the uofa professor said, it's just what he said about job fair is false. There was a job fair. I also find it hard to believe that the dean talked crap about his own school to this professor.

Whether he talked crap or not, this is part truth. The VA in AZ won't even consider Midwestern grads (I was told this by a recent Midwestern grad). Secondly, if you want a residency, it will be harder coming from Midwestern- not saying that it won't/can't happen. Midwestern is known in some parts of the country but IS a "no name" in other parts. It comes down to what you make of it. You can get a decent education and decent rotations and you can do various projects and still get into residency or a good job no matter where you go. It might just be easier from a well-known clinically oriented program that has more opportunities for research and that has more affiliations with various medical organizations/hospitals.

BS? Dont believe me and see what comes your way after 3 years of work. Then compare what is offered to a UA grad. I find it hard to believe a PROFESSOR would lie to a class of 100 students especially when the MW person contacted him. Ask around what MW's reputation is, there's a reason why some places won't accept MW students on rotations/IPPEs/APPEs.

Last edited:
Interviewed on Friday, 2/12. It went well...now I'm waiting with bated breath. Anyone else interview last Friday?

I will be withdrawing my acceptance fairly soon....good luck to those on the waiting list

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I just found out that I'm an alternate for Midwestern CPG. I interviewed on 2/12 and thought it went really well. Is there any real hope of receiving an acceptance before June? My GPA is 3.98, Science GPA 3.85. PharmCAS 99th percentile overall, chemistry 94th. I thought this made me a shoe in but I guess my EC's weren't up to snuff.

Can anyone give me some hope?

Well I just found out that I'm an alternate for Midwestern CPG. I interviewed on 2/12 and thought it went really well. Is there any real hope of receiving an acceptance before June? My GPA is 3.98, Science GPA 3.85. PharmCAS 99th percentile overall, chemistry 94th. I thought this made me a shoe in but I guess my EC's weren't up to snuff.

Wow, your academic stats are really good. I'm surprised they put you as alternate. Why do you think it was your EC's? Did you take your classes at a 4-year university, or community college? And how was the interview overall for you? I know you said you think it went well, but it just seems that something's odd here since you weren't accepted with those stats.

Sorry for the questions, I'm just curious, as I'm planning to apply next cycle...

WOW if you don't make it....I just don't see how I can. :beat:
I'm pretty bummed.

I would say you have a few good things going for you.... Your stats have to be some of the best on the althernate list. (Im on there with you...and they are better than mine) Im not sure how many are on the alternate list, but it can't be too big. The amount of people being interviewed per session was very small in comparison to other schools (15-20 people were in mine) Oh ya and they did expand the class size from 120 to 150 this year.

Good Luck!

Wow, your academic stats are really good. I'm surprised they put you as alternate. Why do you think it was your EC's? Did you take your classes at a 4-year university, or community college? And how was the interview overall for you? I know you said you think it went well, but it just seems that something's odd here since you weren't accepted with those stats.

Sorry for the questions, I'm just curious, as I'm planning to apply next cycle...

I did all my prereq work at a community college. The interview overall was good, I was nervous at first, but eventually became much more calm, I was able to relate my answers to personal experiences. I've interviewed for many jobs in the past (31 yrs old) and generally interview is one of my strong points.

As for EC's I didn't have that many...involved in Phi Theta Kappa and a few of their fundraising efforts as well as a social club (boardgaming). It was tough to juggle work,school,family (married), and still have time for EC's :(

Has anyone that interviewed on 2/18 heard anything from admissions yet. I saw someone say that they heard something from the 2/12 interview date.

I interviewed on 2/18 and still have not heard anything either. I was considering calling to see the status of their reviews.

Can someone clarify this or speak more on the subject? I am 100% sure I don't want to go into retail so will i be making my life harder by going to Midwestern and then attempting to get into a residency (assuming GPA is high)?

Is it only in Arizona that people see this kind of school "racism"?

Can someone clarify this or speak more on the subject? I am 100% sure I don't want to go into retail so will i be making my life harder by going to Midwestern and then attempting to get into a residency (assuming GPA is high)?

Is it only in Arizona that people see this kind of school "racism"?

If you want a great residency or if you want to work in a clinical setting, don't go to MW. You can ask Beardown more about it. He started at MW and then got into UofA off the waitlist and dropped MW to go. He can give you more insight into the program, I am sure. But, I have been told by numerous pharmacists and professors that MW = backup school. :-/

If you want a great residency or if you want to work in a clinical setting, don't go to MW. You can ask Beardown more about it. He started at MW and then got into UofA off the waitlist and dropped MW to go. He can give you more insight into the program, I am sure. But, I have been told by numerous pharmacists and professors that MW = backup school. :-/

I've heard this too all around the SDN forum :/ but then i've also heard that if you really pad your resume and have an outstanding GPA the school that you're from doesn't matter that much.

Think of it this way, most UA students will still end up in retail just like most of the students at Midwestern. Only a few from either school will get into residency or clinical after graduating. If you just keep your head down and try hard to make it in the top 10% of your class, then the opportunity is there for you.

Think of it this way, most UA students will still end up in retail just like most of the students at Midwestern. Only a few from either school will get into residency or clinical after graduating. If you just keep your head down and try hard to make it in the top 10% of your class, then the opportunity is there for you.

Actually, at my interview at UA, they said ~40-50 percent of their students went into residency LOL

...Per graduating class. This is not surprising since their program is tailored for those going into clinical work or residency. Not trying to start a UA vs. MW thing, but we gotta get the facts straight.

Interesting citation...it is for 93 through 2005, though. PharmD wasn't standard until recently (less than the last ten years?). Would be interesting to see the numbers over the last 5 years. Hey, I was told 40-50 percent...don't know where or when they got their info, but I will trust what they say :) and it didn't come from students :) either way, based on the information provided to me via admissions, graduating students, current students, and practicing pharmacists, people have a better shot coming from a state school anyway, especially a top 10. I'll stick with their advice :)

Last edited:
anyone know if you need a car the first year in the program?

You must feel really high and mighty because UofA accepted you to come here and call MWU a backup school. I have yet to see UCSF, UCSD, UWashington or UT Austin students going into other schools' threads and call them backup schools, and those schools rank way above UofA. You know what people say? If you are truly good, you don't need to talk about it. If not, keep bragging.
FYI if you haven't realized it: professors and pharmacists are biased depending on where they teach or where they went to school.
Beardown left MWU 2 months into the program, I don't think he can give any solid advice.

You must feel really high and mighty because UofA accepted you to come here and call MWU a backup school. I have yet to see UCSF, UCSD, UWashington or UT Austin students going into other schools' threads and call them backup schools, and those schools rank way above UofA. You know what people say? If you are truly good, you don't need to talk about it. If not, keep bragging.
FYI if you haven't realized it: professors and pharmacists are biased depending on where they teach or where they went to school.
Beardown left MWU 2 months into the program, I don't think he can give any solid advice.

If you would have read my post, you would see that I did not call MW a backup school. I was considering going there- had an interview and everything! I was told by OTHER people that MW = backup school...and then I made this face: :-/

I do not feel high and mighty at all. I will trust what pharmacists, professors, and directors of a hospital pharmacy say. We have had many MW students rotate into our hospital, so these pharmacists (who are preceptors) can certainly provide some valid information on the performance of P3 students on rotations. Since we have had students come from other schools, they can also offer a comparison. I never made a personal claim that MW is a backup school and if you read farther up into the thread ^^, you would see that I believe MW provides a good, decent education and that you can still get into residency from there. In fact, I know of someone who got into a top residency (the valedictorian).

I do not have to defend myself here, though.

EDIT: I was also told not to completely disregard MW, too. That is why I applied there. I know pharmacists from MW and they are good pharmacists. You are right that pharm school is what you make of it. But, you have to admit, residency interviewers have the perception that high ranked schools are better. Most of us here know that the ranking system is crap- I don't argue with you there. Unfortunately, when it comes to getting a job/residency, these interviewers might think otherwise. Therefore, it is safe to conclude it MIGHT be easier coming from a more well-known program. Sorry if I sounded "cocky" or something- not my intention AT ALL. Perhaps I should have phrased things a bit differently. It is kind of difficult to discern one's tone over the net.

Last edited:

There was a job fair at Midwestern earlier this year, and there will be one for next year.

Last edited:
Has anybody ever gotten (or heard of anybody who has) an extension for the deposit??? I checked online, and my due date was FIVE DAYS after finding out about my acceptance.

So I found out about my acceptance on the portal Jan 8, and got the letter the following week. My deposit was due February 1, so I had a good 3 weeks to think about if after finding out online:) It is a pricey deposit though...

So I found out about my acceptance on the portal Jan 8, and got the letter the following week. My deposit was due February 1, so I had a good 3 weeks to think about if after finding out online:) It is a pricey deposit though...

How much is the deposit?

All interviews are done. Decisions (have been/are being) made as we speak. Now, the last seats are up for grabs. Has anybody called them and ask how many seats are still available? Knowing this number might be a game changer for some of us.

So what's going on now? Have they made the decision yet? I'm still on their waiting list -I need to know !!!

All interviews are done. Decisions (have been/are being) made as we speak. Now, the last seats are up for grabs. Has anybody called them and ask how many seats are still available? Knowing this number might be a game changer for some of us.

okay, I was put on hold in Jan and have heard nothing since then. i think i got the answer. :(

I called: all seats have been filled....

I called: all seats have been filled....

LOL, it's over. I called too. Btw, there are exactly 97 students on the alternate list for maybe....less than 10 people who will drop out before class starts. I already gave up :laugh:

So that mean if those 10 people drop, the next 10 from the list will be able to get in?

So that mean if those 10 people drop, the next 10 from the list will be able to get in?

10 was a guess. As little as 1 will drop...or as many as 10 or more will drop. According to CPG, there doesn't seem to be a rank in the alternate list...but many speculate that they're covering it up. I heard from other ADCOM's around the country that there is at least a list of preferred alternates, if not an actual ranking.

Rxsocal, u want to get in?

So badly =( It was my top choice from the beginning, hence the reason I started this thread. But I really screwed up during the interview on accident cuz so many things were happening to me at the time. How about you?