Microscope options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBodacious

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any comments on a good value microscopes? I am thinking about getting 2, perhaps? Considering JedMed vs Zeiss PICO vs Leica M320 F12.

I am waiting on pricing from the various reps at this point...

Currently, I have some dinosaurs that I have to man-handle in order to get them in position.

Any other models that people would recommend checking out?

Members don't see this ad.

We demo-ed a Seiler in my office. It was a very nice scope with great optics for the price. It deserves consideration. The company recently switched to a new model and you may be able to find a demo model at an even better price. Leica makes a nice scope but it was hard to justify the $20k price tag for the office.

We demo-ed a Seiler in my office. It was a very nice scope with great optics for the price. It deserves consideration. The company recently switched to a new model and you may be able to find a demo model at an even better price. Leica makes a nice scope but it was hard to justify the $20k price tag for the office.

Thanks, I am trying to get a Seiler demo set up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bought a Seiler, very happy when it was new 7 years ago. Piece of junk now--falling apart everywhere. Duct taped here and there, drilled some new screws into the mounting plate for stability, etc. It's a backup scope at best now.

Have an old Zeiss that I got from a closing surgery center (for $200 if you can believe that--they had to sell it at depreciated market value because it's from HCA, a publicly traded hospital company) that is 15+yrs old and is a tank with great optics. So happy with that, maybe the best purchase I've ever made for quality and longevity for price. Zeiss Pico is our premier scope. Awesome awesome awesome. I worry that it's not the tank the old counterpart is, but we'll see. 5 years old and still aweseome.

I use Leica in the OR because they have the smallest footprint, best light, and easiest one-handed use, IMO. However, all the Leicas that I love are too expensive to buy for the clinic.

Well, I ended up getting a nice deal and bought three Leica demo scopes (the scopes I linked above), with fine focus lenses. They are pretty much top notch optics, a really nice LED light, and they have glowing side lights that look really cool. The fine focus lenses are amazing. I probably spent too much relative to a bargain scope but YOLO. Hopefully they last a good 15 years +.