Microchiping an adult cat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenzaranth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kinda off-topic post, sorry...
I thought I'd post this here and see what thoughts you might have...
I need to place a microchip in my 4 year old siamese for australian hc requirements. Of course, being his "mom" and all, I hate the thought of doing this while he's awake, but I can't justify the risk of anesthesia for a chip, either. Especially when I have a hard time placing them on all those asleep surgery patients... Anyways, I've been racking my head about what might make this better. Topical lidocaine? Nerve blocks? Has anyone had any success with either these or other methods? I hate the thought of that giant needle with tough cat skin...:scared:
Thanks!
Lauren

Members don't see this ad.

Wow the idea of anaesthesia for microchipping is very foreign to me. Surely it is no more painful than a slightly large needle. Certainly less painful than other things we do to animals. I think it is probably less stressful just doing a chip than doing a local anaesthetic needle PLUS a chip anyway.

I got my large dog chipped at a pet fair in a park and he hardly moved.....

IMHO, anesthesia is going a little overboard... I know you want to take care of your baby and can't stand the thought of hurting him, but anesthesia is probably unnecessary. Both of my cats barely flinched during their microchipping; neither was medicated. My advice would be to have someone else do it, maybe a coworker or something like that. That's what I did, I held them while someone else did the dirty work and it worked out just fine for everybody.

This board isn't for veterinary advice. You need to make an appointment to see your veterinarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.