Micro

• Thread starter Deleted member 237747
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 237747

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know what went wrong when studying the first two times? If so, address that first.

Next, I assume you're already blocking off several hours each day from now up to the exam to study and work hard on the material. This is a requirement, not a negotiable. HOURS. You need to know the material like the back of your own hand.

Beyond that:
1) Get tutoring.
2) Go meet with faculty

I passed all subjects in D1 except Microbiology. I had 2 tests and scored 55%, 37% . I studied hard but did miserable - just did not get it. I need to get 81% in the last test or I will be dismissed as school does not allow any F grade and I can not afford a repeat year.I feel hard to catch up so much in a month left with others tests going on and already depressed. Anyone dealt with this kind of situation here and any advise. Low trend in this subject means I did not get material so third test may be same way as it is based on what you learn on first two. This is only a 2 or 3 credit class, getting dismissed because of this sucks.
I bet you have classmates in similar positions. Talk to them.
You will likely not be dismissed from this. You should be afforded an opportunity to remediate the course, otherwise your schools attrition rate would be much higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed all subjects in D1 except Microbiology. I had 2 tests and scored 55%, 37% . I studied hard but did miserable - just did not get it. I need to get 81% in the last test or I will be dismissed as school does not allow any F grade and I can not afford a repeat year.I feel hard to catch up so much in a month left with others tests going on and already depressed. Anyone dealt with this kind of situation here and any advise. Low trend in this subject means I did not get material so third test may be same way as it is based on what you learn on first two. This is only a 2 or 3 credit class, getting dismissed because of this sucks.

Alright buddy, first of all you got this. I am going to kindly ask you to not spend any more time online from now until the exam. Micro was my best subject, what I would do is take the ppt and write out with a pen/pencil on paper each slide over and over and over until you turn blue in the face and your hands feel like they gonna break. I understand that your potentially looking at 500 slides on the next exam, you can do this! GL

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Alright buddy, first of all you got this. I am going to kindly ask you to not spend any more time online from now until the exam. Micro was my best subject, what I would do is take the ppt and write out with a pen/pencil on paper each slide over and over and over until you turn blue in the face and your hands feel like they gonna break. I understand that your potentially looking at 500 slides on the next exam, you can do this! GL

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not trying to steal the thread, just have a question. I mainly study via this method but have been told I won't have time to do this. Would I have to pick and choose my battles and apply this study method to the most difficult courses?

Not trying to steal the thread, just have a question. I mainly study via this method but have been told I won't have time to do this. Would I have to pick and choose my battles and apply this study method to the most difficult courses?

Yea your right, I couldn't do this for every class anymore, but only ones that I absolutely had to. I quickly switched over to recording lectures via pear note, and listening to them as many times as possible. Then once I ran out of time for that, I just started converting the ppts to outlines to be read over and over or making flash cards on anki. These outlines and anki note cards could be shared and divided up amongst friends.

For the OP, if they are only struggling in micro and has wiggle room in the other courses, the writing over and over again is a good technique to ace the exam. I had to do this to really get micro and viro, its just to much memorization of small details an no real understanding.

GL

Last edited:
Heres how I like to study pathology and micro.

DTDT.

Disease, Transmission, Diagnosis, Treatment.

For every pathogen, you need to ask yourself if you know the disease, transmission, diagnosis, and treatment. Do it stepwise, one pathogen at a time. Look away from your notes and test yourself. Then memorize by repetition.

Disease - every characteristic of the pathogen that helps differentiate its pathology/damage to everything else. What toxins?

Transmission - route of transmission, any genetic component, age group, sex predilection, vectors

Diagnosis - how would you diagnosis this disease if you were the physician. What tests? What lab values?

Treatment - what drugs and what is the mechanism of action? Any vaccines?

Don't read passively, hoping it'll somehow stick in your brain. Read actively. Ask questions. How does it do that? Why do you need to do this? Talk outloud when you test yourself with questions and speak the answer outloud. It helps to reinforce material if you can hear the material as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Dental school requires you to set aside considerable time to study. It isn't necessarily difficult material, just time intensive. Stop going out as much and focus on your grades.

As has been mentioned this study method is very time intensive, and you cannot reasonably do this on all subjects. The best method I've found is to look at the slides, and verbally repeat the material out loud, conceptualizing the material at the same time. I also walk around and pace during this time (several studies show improvement in memory doing this). Certain concepts I write down or draw a diagram to further solidify the concepts in my mind. By going through the material through different senses and modalities, you understand and remember the material better.

The best bit advice is to go over the material at least twice, preferably three times if you can. That is where you pick your battles with time. Reviewing the material several times trumps slowing down and writing down everything.

My brother published some research showing improved memory consolidation with caffeine, and it has other health benefits drawing from its antioxidant properties so go ahead and drink that cup of joe with your studying. It's good for your mind and health.

Reactions: 1 user
Look up sketchy micro to help memorizing bugs. Makes it a whole lots easier.