MHA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the online degrees offered by Phoenix Online? Specifically, I'm interested in the Master of Health Administration program. Are online degrees equivalent to brick-n-morter institutions?

http://www.phoenix.edu/

Members don't see this ad.

I would stay away from those on-line programs, especially in the area of public health or health administration. Your money would be better spent pursuing an MPH or MHA at a state university. Besides, with your degrees from Reed and Johns Hopkins, would you really want "Phoenix University" on your vitae?

Before medical school I went to graduate school and earned a masters degree in gerontology from the University of South Florida. I did it in three semesters. After completing the program I remember thinking that the entire degree could have been earned via distance learning (online) without any loss of quality.

I wouldn't rule out online degrees entirely. Instead, look at the individual programs and talk to people who have been through them. A lot of the health care administrative type degrees are online now out of necessity for the students earning them. Many residents and practicing physicians want these degrees and there is no way that I (or others like me) could earn these degrees in the traditional manner.

If you visit USNEWS.COM and look under the e-learning section, you'll find a lot of online degree programs; and many are from state universities. Some require a "residency"; that is, you must spend 1 to 2 weeks full-time on campus. This is impractical for many of us.

So in sum, don't rule out a degree program just because it is online. Instead, look at the institution offering the degree and talk to people who have been through that program.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Gregory Gulick
Before medical school I went to graduate school and earned a masters degree in gerontology from the University of South Florida. I did it in three semesters. After completing the program I remember thinking that the entire degree could have been earned via distance learning (online) without any loss of quality.

I wouldn't rule out online degrees entirely. Instead, look at the individual programs and talk to people who have been through them. A lot of the health care administrative type degrees are online now out of necessity for the students earning them. Many residents and practicing physicians want these degrees and there is no way that I (or others like me) could earn these degrees in the traditional manner.

If you visit USNEWS.COM and look under the e-learning section, you'll find a lot of online degree programs; and many are from state universities. Some require a "residency"; that is, you must spend 1 to 2 weeks full-time on campus. This is impractical for many of us.

So in sum, don't rule out a degree program just because it is online. Instead, look at the institution offering the degree and talk to people who have been through that program.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice. I found this link on USNEWS:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/elearning/tables/pub_reg_prof.htm

Some of these programs sound promising, particularly the one from Emory. I'll definitely look into this! Like you, I don't have time to attend school full-time. If I decide to pusue a masters program, then it'll have to be part-time or on-line.

Thanks again.