MHA programs - does reputation matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamsicle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering, are MHA programs like MBAs and law schools, where it matters what ranking the particular program you attend is in the type of job/salary you earn afterward or will any decent program do? There are already much fewer people with these MHA degrees than with MBAs, so I was wondering if it's really advantageous to attend a highly ranked MHA program? Is there even a ranking of the top MHA programs published anywhere online? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The main thing to know about the program you attend is that it is FULLY accredited, some are not.

The main thing to know about the program you attend is that it is FULLY accredited, some are not.

Hi mletter.

What does FULLY accredited mean???
Which Organizations are we supposed to check???

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

So I am realy interested in the MHA program. I'm a junior studying at UCSD (transferred there from a 2-year community college) Unfortunately my undergrad (community college) gpa is pretty low (3.1) mainly because I thought I wanted to medicine at first, so I had a really difficult schedule (chem, bio, physics). However, I'm going to UCSD as an economics major, which I feel better suits my interests and overall strengths. Do you think my low gpa especially since its at a community college will weigh me down? Also, do you guys know where a list of rankings is for MHA programs?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

So I am realy interested in the MHA program. I'm a junior studying at UCSD (transferred there from a 2-year community college) Unfortunately my undergrad (community college) gpa is pretty low (3.1) mainly because I thought I wanted to medicine at first, so I had a really difficult schedule (chem, bio, physics). However, I'm going to UCSD as an economics major, which I feel better suits my interests and overall strengths. Do you think my low gpa especially since its at a community college will weigh me down? Also, do you guys know where a list of rankings is for MHA programs?

Thanks!

I am actually in the similar boat myself. I'm entering my 4th year at a top Chicago university and I started out as Bio/Pre-Med myself. My first two years did quite a number to my GPA, but graduate programs want to see an upward trend. Take the recommended per-requisite courses MHA programs look for and do well in them and the rest of your classes from here on out and you should be fine. Get involved, get some work/internship experience and nail the GRE. If you can do all of that and garner great letters of recommendation and draft and excellent personal statement, your GPA will simply be eclipsed. There are countless students on this board who have enrolled into top programs straight out of undergrad with poor GPA's.

You just have to keep in mind that MHA programs are nothing like Medical Schools, Business School and Law Schools where it's nothing but a numbers game. MHA programs receive FAR less applicants as the aforementioned graduate programs which means that they have more time to examine each and every applicant on an individual basis.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

no list of rankings for MHA programs. there's no need.

make sure it's accredited by this organization: http://www.cahme.org/

Thanks for the responses guys! @Wickel..where is the suggested pre-req classes for MHA programs?

Thanks for the responses guys! @Wickel..where is the suggested pre-req classes for MHA programs?

They like to see statistics, microeconomics, accounting and financial accounting.

For anyone stumbling onto this thread, a MHA programs are accredited by CAHME. Go here to find a list of a accredited programs: http://www.cahme.org/.

Only some MPH programs with healthcare concentrations are accredited by CAHME, even if they're accredited by CEPH for public health. Most administrative fellowships require a degree from a CAHME accredited school however.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Hey there! I also graduated from UCSD (but Bio/Econ minor) and am applying to MHA programs. Just curious, have you already gone through the process? I also started out pre-med, and my GPA's a similar 3.23. If you have any advice for applying, I'd love to hear it!