MHA admissions Fall '14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your first question largely depends on what job you want/earn after graduation and in small part on your previous work experience (at least according to UMich and Columbia). This is generalized, but most fellowships are in the 45-60/65 k range. Consulting jobs will probably start higher. Some I've seen are in the 90-100k area. You could probably feel pretty comfortable setting that (45/50-100k) as a range, with outliers on either side.

Re: your IBR question. Check here: http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-based

Sorry if I sound naive why would one do a fellowship instead of getting a job? Will doing a fellowship improve chances of landing a job, a higher paying job or rollover into a permanent job? How does one get a fellowship? networking or the school helps you land one?

Sorry if I sound naive why would one do a fellowship instead of getting a job? Will doing a fellowship improve chances of landing a job, a higher paying job or rollover into a permanent job? How does one get a fellowship? networking or the school helps you land one?

Career services offices at schools will help guide you through the fellowship process. Fellowships are beneficial for those who want to be in a hospital setting but do not yet have significant hospital exposure and work experience. They typically last from 1 to 2 years and you are exposed to all divisions within a hospital on a rotating basis. You work with high level executives and other people, and in many cases you're exposed to work so far up the ladder that you will not be exposed to it again until you're 15-20 years into your career.

The starting salary is lower (45-60K) but they either 1) turn into full time gigs or 2) allow you the flexibility to move to another hospital post fellowship. There is typically a big earnings jump between years 2 and 3 (typically you jump to 90-100K and then begin climbing the hospital executive ladder). Post fellowship you are extremely attractive to any number of employers, such as consulting firms, if you decide you don't want to be in a hospital.

If you decide early on that you do not want to be in a primary care setting (or you really like finance) you may take a gig with a consulting firm or a big health insurance company. This is a good route too, but it's a little bit harder to go from consulting to hospital than it is for hospital to consulting. Starting salaries are much higher.

Both are good options, but some people are better fits for each path.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Career services offices at schools will help guide you through the fellowship process. Fellowships are beneficial for those who want to be in a hospital setting but do not yet have significant hospital exposure and work experience. They typically last from 1 to 2 years and you are exposed to all divisions within a hospital on a rotating basis. You work with high level executives and other people, and in many cases you're exposed to work so far up the ladder that you will not be exposed to it again until you're 15-20 years into your career.

The starting salary is lower (45-60K) but they either 1) turn into full time gigs or 2) allow you the flexibility to move to another hospital post fellowship. There is typically a big earnings jump between years 2 and 3 (typically you jump to 90-100K and then begin climbing the hospital executive ladder). Post fellowship you are extremely attractive to any number of employers, such as consulting firms, if you decide you don't want to be in a hospital.

If you decide early on that you do not want to be in a primary care setting (or you really like finance) you may take a gig with a consulting firm or a big health insurance company. This is a good route too, but it's a little bit harder to go from consulting to hospital than it is for hospital to consulting. Starting salaries are much higher.

Thanks @JQH and @Chillbro Swaggins. Appreciate both of your clarifications.

Mr. Swaggins nailed it. The best piece of advice I have gotten so far is to not take the most money offered to you out of grad school, but do a fellowship and find an organization with an extremely high ceiling even if they start you off on the floor.

Reactions: 4 users
Confirmed my admission at USC - MHA today..
Anyone else for USC?

Do any of the folks attending JHU's admitted students event on the 4th want to link up on the 3rd?

My 2 cents..

While it is important to have done a good amount of research into what aspects of healthcare one wishes to ultimately adopt as a career, it is always wise to look at the bigger picture and leave room for ideas and advice as one spends 2 years immersed in public health :). If one ultimately wants to work for a top cancer institute in the world in the management capacity, and lacks real-world experience of working alongside clinicians, other health professionals then a fellowship is a definite advantage. This is not to say that one would not be able to get a job in a reputable hospital or research institute without a fellowship, but it does help build ones resume as one moves along towards the long term career goal. Having said that, one does need to leave some room to grow into the program and healthcare management "education+training" that one is going to receive in the two years, keep oneself open to opportunities as they arrive and look to learn from the vast amount of information, career advice most of the top programs offer.

In my case, I have more than 5 years of experience as a clinician/physician , clinical researcher and entrepreneur and my ultimate goal is management consulting (strategy)..I still would not mind a fellowship for a year or even two if a significant opportunity to learn and grow my knowledge presents itself. Ultimately armed with my clinical experience, and an intense residency+fellowship, I can potentially offer prospective employers much more value. I know of a few MPH/MHA/MBA folks that chose not to enter consulting straight out of the program, and decided to work in an environment that would give them much better grasp/understanding of the healthcare system and make them much better consultants (either a clinical setting, pharma or elderly care)..

Last edited:

Fellowships aren't available to international students as these hospitals do not sponsor visas. As an international student interested in working in the us after my MHA, what kind of opportunities should I be in the look out for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellowships aren't available to international students as these hospitals do not sponsor visas. As an international student interested in working in the us after my MHA, what kind of opportunities should I be in the look out for?

Hi,

I think your best bet would be to get in touch with current international students at your preferred schools.

I'm having a hard time choosing between the MPH/MBA program at Johns Hopkins and MHA at USC. I'm an international applicant and while brand name certainly matters (JH scores a perfect ten there), I wouldn't be foolish to trade better opportunity to work and grow professionally with a college brand name.
I have little information on the differences between healthcare systems in the East coast and the West and which among these two is more progressive.
Any insight on the same would be greatly appreciated!

I'm having a hard time choosing between the MPH/MBA program at Johns Hopkins and MHA at USC. I'm an international applicant and while brand name certainly matters (JH scores a perfect ten there), I wouldn't be foolish to trade better opportunity to work and grow professionally with a college brand name.
I have little information on the differences between healthcare systems in the East coast and the West and which among these two is more progressive.
Any insight on the same would be greatly appreciated!

It all depends what you want to do both in the short term and in the long term. Carey Business school is a young school (just a few years old) and as such is not in the top rankings nor has substantial alumni, but the JHU MPH is highly regarded. USC has an incredible alumni that is extremely loyal and goes out of the way to help their fellow trojans out. I was in your position just a few weeks ago (having applied to More MBA"s than MPH/MHA's) but decided that I'll pursue an MBA at a later date when I have more experience in the industry...Factor in where you want to be Post your education (east coast or west coast)...

Is anyone looking at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor for its MHSA program? Did anyone commit and if so, why? If not, also why?

Is anyone looking at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor for its MHSA program? Did anyone commit and if so, why? If not, also why?

Didn't commit because it was too expensive (based on personal financial status compared to other schools), has 70-80 students instead of 20 (who are also an MPH-MHA combined class, with a mere 2-course difference, something else I didn't like), and it's in Michigan (very out of the way and cold for me). Otherwise, it is a top program with a great reputation and network. Depends on your personal preferences really.

Reactions: 1 user
For me it was about the cost (despite the 10K scholarship) and the fact that I liked the networking opportunities in the North east better at JHU, Yale and Columbia. I do not see much advantage in recruitment for Michigan compared to my other choices when it came to companies which I'll be targeting post graduation.

I haven't committed but most likely will. Honestly, I'm probably a little biased as I have quite a few friends who have graduated from there and have talked to a lot of current students. The price is definitely the biggest drawback for me, but the other schools I've considered are not much less. At the end of the day, a difference of 20K is worth it to me. I'm confident regarding job opportunities after school, especially with the number of companies that recruit there. The fact that you can take classes at Ross and other schools there is also a big plus.

However, for someone who doesn't have this personal connection to UM, I don't blame them for being drawn elsewhere. One thing I've noticed is a lack of transparency regarding tuition, financing, etc. The bigger class size is kind of a draw back t00- it seems like they accept a lot of students right out of undergrad. I'm hoping that my 4+ years of working in health care will help set me apart. Also, if you haven't lived in the Midwest then I definitely don't blame you for being terrified of moving to Ann Arbor!

JQH, I've emailed Charlita about something else and never received a response either. Not sure what the deal is there...

Last edited:
Yeah, dude, odd.

I'm wondering if I should follow up with her or reach out to someone else. There's still a few weeks until April 15th, but considering the way the committee seems to work (meeting once or twice a month), I think I need to get a convo going asap.

I would call her. She usually answers the phone and is very easy to work with.

To everyone accepted at Michigan HMP (MHSA or MPH), please join our Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/MichiganHMP2016/ . I'm a current student here and I'm available for any questions. Join the group to connect with your future classmates! (P.S. You should have my email if you came for a visit day, so feel free to ask me questions through that method as well). I won't check this account often so please don't message me on here.

Hey! Can everyone do me a favor? If you have been admitted to JHU but do not intend to go, tell them so hopefully I can get off the waitlist before April 14. ;) Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
To everyone accepted at Michigan HMP (MHSA or MPH), please join our Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/MichiganHMP2016/ . me be a current student here and me be available for any questions. Join the group to connect wit yer future classmates! (P.S. You should have my email if you came for a visit day, so feel free to ask me questions through that method as well). me won't check this account often so please don't message me on here.

Is it an april fools thing on this website that I's are being converted to ME's??? Its happening to private conversations as well.

The image shows what i typed..:)

2rf3myx.png

Yeah, dude, odd.

me be wonderin' if me should follow up wit her or reach out to someone else. thar's still a few weeks until April 15th, but considerin' the way the committee seems to work (meetin' once or twice a month), me think me need to get a convo goin' asap.

Me thinks talking like yoda, been much better, would have. Yeesssssss.

Last edited:
i just got 7500 $ per year scholarship from Columbia . . . makes my decision tougher !!
So Confused !!

i just got 7500 $ per year scholarship from Columbia . . . makes my decision tougher !!
So Confused !!

Congrats! Did you get the scholarship as part of the financial aid package, or was it through a separate email?

Congrats! Did you get the scholarship as part of the financial aid package, or was it through a separate email?
i am an international student so i didn't qualify for the financial aid. I got a separate email from the financial aid office yesterday .

Hey guys just got accepted to UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA MHA program and also SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY MHA program. Can anybody who has already got in please tell me if they got financial aid packages along with their acceptance email from these universities ?

Hey guys just got accepted to UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA MHA program and also SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY MHA program. Can anybody who has already got in please tell me if they got financial aid packages along with their acceptance email from these universities ?
For UNC, I was told that merit aid comes with your acceptance.

Congrats! My scholarship from UNC did not come with my acceptance. Good luck!

Hi fellow MHA prospies! Would anyone spare their two cents on CMU's MS HCPM program?
I got in and liked its uniqueness from a traditional MPH/MHA - I'm also interested in consulting later on and seems like it has a good record of placing its graduates in the private sector. Could anyone comment further? The program's emergence in the management/data/IT aspect (where CMU's core strength lies) also seems appealing, but it's definitely a different experience from being in a public health school...

I probably applied to a few too many programs this year and am having a hard time deciding: Yale/Columbia/CMU/BU/Michigan/UNC/Minnesota... Cost-wise for me, Minnesota would be the cheapest, then CMU/UNC possibly. Any advice would help! Thanks in advance.

Just got a hefty amount of money from UCLA. Now I'm completely torn with less than two weeks to commit.

EDIT: Full tuition + $18k stipend! GOING TO UCLA!!

Last edited:
Are any of you confused between UNC and Columbia like i am?
Can any of you please provide me any help or info which can help me make my decision ?
Anybody know of any current student or alumnus of UNC MHA program whom i can speak to?

Hi fellow MHA prospies! Would anyone spare their two cents on CMU's MS HCPM program?
I got in and liked its uniqueness from a traditional MPH/MHA - I'm also interested in consulting later on and seems like it has a good record of placing its graduates in the private sector. Could anyone comment further? The program's emergence in the management/data/IT aspect (where CMU's core strength lies) also seems appealing, but it's definitely a different experience from being in a public health school...

I probably applied to a few too many programs this year and am having a hard time deciding: Yale/Columbia/CMU/BU/Michigan/UNC/Minnesota... Cost-wise for me, Minnesota would be the cheapest, then CMU/UNC possibly. Any advice would help! Thanks in advance.

Hey, I applied to the CMU program ans got in as well. However, I was never interviewed. I chose not to go because other schools took a lot more time to more specifically understand and clarify my future goals/intentions. CMU randomly sent an acceptance. Also, there was no correspondance or attempt at communication from current students like other schools pushed. Overall, I just felt CMU didn't even try to get to know me before accepting me. Plus, I currently have a prof who previously taught at CMU (for this program) and he said he'd recommend the program but he personally thinks some other schools are better choices.

Hey guys, I got an interview coming up with Rush tomorrow. Can anyone give me any insight on what their interview is like?

Also, I'm trying to decide between Cornell and Rush. Anyone that can help persuade me one way or another? I'm from Chicago and want to eventually end up here, which is one of the main reasons why I'm hesitant to accept Cornell.

Just curious, what career would earn more in the long run, a health executive or a healthcare consultant? Gotta pay off these loans! Consulting seems really attractive given the amount of debt I'm about to take on. Also how feasible is it to get into consulting without work experience?

Also, I'm trying to decide between Cornell and Rush. Anyone that can help persuade me one way or another? I'm from Chicago and want to eventually end up here, which is one of the main reasons why I'm hesitant to accept Cornell.

Did you get that super persuasive email they sent out the other day listing all the benefits of the program? I personally picked Cornell partially for hospital affiliations in NY but they made a huge point of how they have alumni in all different possible areas of employment and all throughout the country.

Did you get that super persuasive email they sent out the other day listing all the benefits of the program? I personally picked Cornell partially for hospital affiliations in NY but they made a huge point of how they have alumni in all different possible areas of employment and all throughout the country.

I got the same one, really interesting to see the reach of the program