MHA Accreditation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Focus_811

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in New York and currently looking into applying to MHA programs for entry next August of 2021. On Long Island, Stony Brook has just started a program that I believe is about three years old. It is regionally accredited by Middle States Commision on Higher Education (CHE MSA) and has Candidacy Status for national accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME). I have heard that regional accreditation is very important, especially for financial aid, which this schools has.

My question is, do you see any problem with attending this school with them being in Candidacy Status for CAHME? I don't know how long it takes for them to become fully accredited, nor have I had the opportunity to speak with anyone from the school yet regarding it. Stony Brook is a well respected school on Long Island and I fully expect them to receive the accreditation, but I just wanted to know some thoughts on attending while they are still in candidacy status. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.