MGMA 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GIwanna

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, i am in the process of interviewing for 2025 GI job.
I was wondering if anybody had the latest MGMA data about median/75th percentile wRVU and and the median/75th percentile compensation. I am located in the Midwest.

I am being offered 57wrvu for 8200 of work in small community hospital in a rural area and i know that this rate is being offered by university/academic places . I just don't want to be taken for a ride here.
When i told them that this was a low rate , they said that they will talk to their compensation committee and then asked what were some of the wrvus i have been seeing in different Interviews/or what kind of wrvu i had in mind.
I'm not entirely sure how i should approach this question.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
dont give any numbers. tell them to come back with their best offer. if they are located in rural area, they are gonna have tough time recruiting, so they have to pay above median rates

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anybody had the latest MGMA data about median/75th percentile wRVU and and the median/75th percentile compensation. I am located in the Midwest.

I am being offered 57wrvu for 8200 of work in small community hospital in a rural area and i know that this rate is being offered by university/academic places . I just don't want to be taken for a ride here.
When i told them that this was a low rate , they said that they will talk to their compensation committee and then asked what were some of the wrvus i have been seeing in different Interviews/or what kind of wrvu i had in mind.
Low balled by them, not sure how desperate they are, must not be at all or they don't know it yet, if you are truly in a rural Midwest, lots of $75 per rvu in true rural Midwest.
national median last year was slightly above 550 for about 8400rvu,75th percentile rvu between 10 to 11k rvu for about 700k nationally

Midwest median was about 560k and 75th percentile about 750k

Reactions: 1 user

You are being taken for a ride.

$57/wrvu x 8200 wrvu= $467, 400.

That is low for GI. Especially in an area that is desperate for GI coverage.

Their useless compensation committee should have figured this out.

I only have 2019 data but median was $66 and 75th was $79.

They are trying to get 75th percentile work for 25th percentile pay. This seems to be the standard operating procedure for *****ic health systems with dumb hospital administration. Maybe if this was a highly desirable area they could get away with it.

Reactions: 4 users
Low balled by them, not sure how desperate they are, must not be at all or they don't know it yet, if you are truly in a rural Midwest, lots of $75 per rvu in true rural Midwest.
national median last year was slightly above 550 for about 8400rvu,75th percentile rvu between 10 to 11k rvu for about 700k nationally

Midwest median was about 560k and 75th percentile about 750k
Is that 550k the MGMA 2023 median? Do you have the same data for hem/onc? Just curious

I live 40 miles away from major city in the south. I get $59/RVU with target 9000 RVUs/year. I did 11,000 RVUs last year. I feel I'm under paid and over worked with no good support from staff, office, schedulers but I'm accepting due to the location, kids, hate to move...etc. No place is perfect but overall administration sucks and is run by incompetent people. Good luck.

I live 40 miles away from major city in the south. I get $59/RVU with target 9000 RVUs/year. I did 11,000 RVUs last year. I feel I'm under paid and over worked with no good support from staff, office, schedulers but I'm accepting due to the location, kids, hate to move...etc. No place is perfect but overall administration sucks and is run by incompetent people. Good luck.
wow, sucks man. do you get paid for call or quality incentive?

Is this place a private practice, hospital based practice, etc?

I work at a hospital employed position. We do get paid for call ~ $45K a year. The call is very light.

I work at a hospital employed position. We do get paid for call ~ $45K a year. The call is very light.
Thats pretty close for median $ per wRVU and median wrvu (9k) in the *south* region. Did You made 2k rvu bonus at the $59 per? Plus call pay? For employed this is close to median comp in south although If the clerical burden and ancillary support is poor, whole nother issue