Mayo vs UofChicago vs Case vs Scripps Green vs Baylor Cards prog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trickster123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some insight in training at these programs in terms of:

1) Volume of cases (what will see the most of?)
2) Autonomy
3) Work-hours/call/lifestyle
4) Reputation in the private practice/community world (i.e. which programs will raise eyebrows that will help you get a job after fellowship)
5) Reputation in academic world?
6) Interventional/EP matching

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone give me some insight in training at these programs in terms of:

1) Volume of cases (what will see the most of?)
2) Autonomy
3) Work-hours/call/lifestyle
4) Reputation in the private practice/community world (i.e. which programs will raise eyebrows that will help you get a job after fellowship)
5) Reputation in academic world?
6) Interventional/EP matching

Thanks!

I am in practice now.. I have only interviwed at Mayo, Baylor of the programs you mentioned..
Will say that Baylor is sort of meta-stable at present- interventional and heart failure programs (especially research with Bozkurt et al) are quite good. EP is a hit or miss.
Will say that as a fellow there you may get access to texas heart and Methodist. Many of the famous faculty at Methodist (esp echo) were at Baylor previously; so they may have a soft corner for Baylor fellows, and will be able to provide mentorship for clinical or research endeavors.

On the other hand Mayo is Mayo- the world famous Mayo Clinic. Great for becoming a subspecialty cardiologist especially as the atmosphere is very academic, and they have been somewhat immune to RVU culture spreading across major academic medical centers. However, autonomy there is hard to get (especially in CCU and cath lab), and many of us think that the fellows who train there are procedurally okay at most. I know few of the fellows who graduated from Mayo, and they are working at satellite centers of Mayo so that they can get more clinical exposure before they branch out in to practice. It does not carry the same force in academia as perhaps Wash U or Michigan (if you want to talk about midwestern academic cardiology powerhouses- a lot of it is due to academic snobbery). But Mayo is perhaps the best academic cardiology model in the country.
You may need to spend 5-6 years at Mayo to become the 'real expert' as opposed to some one who has a fresh Mayo diploma, as the fellows are relatively protected there. We recently hired a Mayo proceduralist in cardiology who came highly recommended; but he has been okay at most in the lab. So we are providing him with the clinical experience needed to become proficient.

Last edited:
On the other hand Mayo is Mayo- the world famous Mayo Clinic. Great for becoming a subspecialty cardiologist especially as the atmosphere is very academic, and they have been somewhat immune to RVU culture spreading across major academic medical centers. However, autonomy there is hard to get (especially in CCU and cath lab), and many of us think that the fellows who train there are procedurally okay at most. I know few of the fellows who graduated from Mayo, and they are working at satellite centers of Mayo so that they can get more clinical exposure before they branch out in to practice. It does not carry the same force in academia as perhaps Wash U or Michigan (if you want to talk about midwestern academic cardiology powerhouses- a lot of it is due to academic snobbery). But Mayo is perhaps the best academic cardiology model in the country.
You may need to spend 5-6 years at Mayo to become the 'real expert' as opposed to some one who has a fresh Mayo diploma, as the fellows are relatively protected there. We recently hired a Mayo proceduralist in cardiology who came highly recommended; but he has been okay at most in the lab. So we are providing him with the clinical experience needed to become proficient.

so if Mayo isn't good clinically, as you get little autonomy and skill with procedures &&& Mayo ISNT as strong in academics....why is Mayo Clinic "World famous"

so if Mayo isn't good clinically, as you get little autonomy and skill with procedures &&& Mayo ISNT as strong in academics....why is Mayo Clinic "World famous"
I'm a medical student but I assume it's famous for its overall program for its patients and the high quality physicians it employs.

I doubt it's research opportunities are weak. I'm sure they're as good as any. It may just be the academic snobbery mentioned.