Mercy vs. Western Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrustMe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on the pros/cons of these programs in Pittsburgh?

Members don't see this ad.

I rotated at both last year, but can tell you that I bet a lot has changed with the recent changes in directors etc. I think only current residents or students would know the real low-down on the two programs. I'd be interested to hear what people have to say.

I rotated at both last year, but can tell you that I bet a lot has changed with the recent changes in directors etc. I think only current residents or students would know the real low-down on the two programs. I'd be interested to hear what people have to say.

Do both programs have new directors?

Members don't see this ad :)
do a west penn or mercy search on the forum..good info, albeit incomplete, from earlier this year.

Anyone with updates on the West Penn program since March? What about Mercy's transition?

as a student who has rotated at both hospitals (not in anesthesiology), i might be able to help a little... you also might try a search, as this topic was discussed quite a bit last year in this forum...

west penn lost their contract with their anesthesiology group in late '05/ early '06, and went after mercy's anesthesiologists successfully. dr. troianos was the chair and program director at mercy; now he has the same position at west penn. a few of the better attendings that were once at mercy are now at west penn.

also, i believe that west penn's program is a little bigger. and from what i've heard from one of my friends who is a resident there, things are going well despite the change.

as far as mercy, the majority of the attendings i came in contact with are friendly, and good teachers. however, this is a smaller program (i think they just increased to 5 residents per year). most of the residents their do seem happy.

finally, mercy hospital lost over 40 million dollars over the last 3 years, and was in financial dire straits - leading to its purchase by the behemoth, UPMC, a few weeks ago. supposedly, mercy is to remain independent and the residency programs are to remain secure, but who knows. it wouldn't be the first time a pittsburgh gas program was dissolved due to financial reasons (AGH had one as well).

hope this helps.