This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labgeek007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am trying to apply for the mercer preclinical masters program. My gpa is around a 3.0 but my MCAT is fairly high (above 516). What would you say my chances are of getting accepted? I have a lot of extra curricular. I've worked in a lab for 5 years, conducted research for 2 years, and volunteered.

Members don't see this ad.

I used the Kaplan 7 book set AND the AAMC bundle practice sets. The key is practice practice practice. Focus more on the concepts that you don't understand to save time. Make sure you are re-reading material because the repetition will help you remember. I also looked at what students with a high score did as a schedule.

Hello! I am trying to apply for the mercer preclinical masters program. My gpa is around a 3.0 but my MCAT is fairly high (above 516). What would you say my chances are of getting accepted? I have a lot of extra curricular. I've worked in a lab for 5 years, conducted research for 2 years, and volunteered.
Are you sure you can’t do a DIY post bacc? Your MCAT is really good. Unless you have the money to spend on the masters, I’d suggest retaking some classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just think retaking some classes might take longer and I'm not sure if this would improve the gpa at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
@oldbluegenes I have a few questions to ask you man. 1.) How is the program going? Is it as difficult as they say? 2.) Has the coronavirus made studying a bit harder? 3.)How much did it cost? 4.) lastly, do you mind if I share my personal statement with you privately? I want to know whether it'll be good enough for the fall.

PM'ed you.
I have a few questions also (if you don’t mind)
1. How many people have successfully applied to med school concurrently while in the 1 year program?
2. If one plans on applying next cycle are there opportunities to still be involved with Mercer (TA positions, etc.)
3. Is the 2 year master’s (msbms) for people who want to go into research or is it still relevant for prospective med school applicants?
3. Typical study schedule?
4. How hard is it to do well and class averages
5. Are there opportunities to do community service or any other extracurricular activity during the program?

Thanks

I have a few questions also (if you don’t mind)
1. How many people have successfully applied to med school concurrently while in the 1 year program?
2. If one plans on applying next cycle are there opportunities to still be involved with Mercer (TA positions, etc.)
3. Is the 2 year master’s (msbms) for people who want to go into research or is it still relevant for prospective med school applicants?
3. Typical study schedule?
4. How hard is it to do well and class averages
5. Are there opportunities to do community service or any other extracurricular activity during the program?

Thanks
I could answer some of those question. I visited the program. You will not have much time to be doing any extracurricular or work. The 2 years masters is just as relevant, the only difference is you'd be graduating with a master's theory. You can still go into med school after.

I'm in this program now and I think you have a shot. Just make sure you have a really good personal statement.
I have a couple questions as well about the program. I have been accepted into Mercer's pre-clinical science program and the biomedical program at PCOM. How is the program at mercer so far? Thoughts on the program? Difficulty? Likes/dislikes?

So I was wondering is the program hard? Likes and dislikes Please explain- have been accepted in the program and I want to make sure
thanks