Mentally ill patient in the family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturaDocta

Pop_Princess_MD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thank you all!

Thread: - gives good advice for sources and studies of modern psychiatry.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A very good source are Kaplan & Sadock's textbooks on psychiatry. If your pre-med your science library should have a copy. The textbook was also recently updated. There are different versions of it. Pocket size, workbook size, thick textbook size and ultrabig textbook (the size of the biggest Bible you've ever seen) size. If you really want to know the most you can, the article on last book is tremendous & well written.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have a family member that is suffering from a mental disorder. Well, I have a family member that is just breaking my heart. It is like a slow death and I feel like it is over. He has severe schizophrenia. He is still at home so he could finish up the school year. But, the doctor wants him in the hospital right away. It is so heartbreaking. Have any of you been in this situation? If so, did they ever get better (referring to schizophrenic patients)? I dunno if he could get out of it. I hope he does. He's in his own little world now.

It is such a fascinating disorder. But, it is still so unknown. Crazy huh? I guess it is because it is kinda hard to research or take accurate data. Have any great studies you want to share?

Have you been to http://www.nami.org/ ? It's a great source of information and support for individuals afflicted with mental illness as well as family members such as yourself who'd like to learn more.

Wow, this is great. I never stumbled upon it before. Thanks

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. It's a tragedy no matter whose family.

Perhaps this is a good time to begin discussing long-term strategies with the rest of the family, e.g.
who's going to take on what roles in this person's recovery,
how the family is going to structure financial assistance for this person,
with whom (if anyone) this person will live, etc.

Consider arranging a Family Trust in order to provide financial assistance, protect it from potentially disastrous impulsive decisions, and to avoid interfering with any public assistance that may be available.

NAMI is a great resource and support network.