Memorize constants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soonyi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we expected to memorize constants? And how far do we go in doing this, for example, memorize Couloumb's constant but nevermind the permitivity of free space? (Although they pretty much are intertwined.)

Members don't see this ad.

soonyi said:
Are we expected to memorize constants? And how far do we go in doing this, for example, memorize Couloumb's constant but nevermind the permitivity of free space? (Although they pretty much are intertwined.)
I didn't even have to remember equations for the most part. The only one I remember needing was pv=nrt. Constants will be given to you. It's really not a memorization test, think in concepts not factoids.

Let's see....constants you should know:

Gas law (R)
Kelvin vs. Celsius (273 K = 0 C)
Gravity (round to 10 m/s^2)
1 mol of gas = 22.4L
Know the sin and cos of all common angles
Avogadro's number = 6.023 x 10^23

Also make sure you know all of your centi, kilo, nano abbreviations as well as the corresponding scientific notation 10^-2, 10^3, etc...

Those are some of the crucial ones, but you don't need to know very many, as most will be given to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pi is 3. On the MCAT, that's fine. Sin(30) = .5; cos(30) = less than 1. Seriously, this is good enough.

g is 10. c is 3 x 10^something big. Should be good enough.

The density of water is 1 (g/cm^3). Unnecessary, but helpful.

Or, to answer the original question: no.

rgporter said:
I didn't even have to remember equations for the most part.

On the physics, there are about twenty equations you really ought to know. On the form I had in April (BG), three of these were necessary (though one could be worked out), another three helpful.